Week 1 - Lions vs Chiefs Post Game Observations

Just Want A Title

48 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am not the only one who is concerned abut the DB communication:

Aaron Glenn, DC: Every level of the defense anchored this Lions team to a win, and for that Glenn deserves credit. However, the frequent miscommunications in the secondary are becoming a hallmark of his defenses no matter how much talent they have, and eventually the buck stops with Glenn. If the Lions didn’t finish the job Thursday night, we’d be talking very differently about the several mishaps in the secondary.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/9/8/23864219/detroit-lions-week-1-stock-report-kansas-city-chiefs-risers-fallers

There definitely are concerns but also our S's are a rookie, a second year S, and a new to the team S.  It was game one of the year against a great QB and a new OC so its harder to prepare for.  I think they were solid most of the game but that is one of the things that need to be cleaned up as the year goes on.  

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

One thing I would like to see from Aidan Hutchinson:  When his going to pressure a QB but not get home for a sack he should try to use his length the poke/swat or strip the ball from the QB.  If you can't make a play on the QB try to make a play on the ball.

Mahomes was pressured 40% of the time. He was 6/15 during those pressures (per espn). I believe Hutch had to be responsible for 80-90% of those, or at least it felt that way. Although any player can always improve his game, if Hutch continues to be a consistent pest; then I’m absolutely fine with him keep doing what he’s doing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There definitely are concerns but also our S's are a rookie, a second year S, and a new to the team S.  It was game one of the year against a great QB and a new OC so its harder to prepare for.  I think they were solid most of the game but that is one of the things that need to be cleaned up as the year goes on.  

Also, I’m not agreeing with pride of Detroit on anything. 😂

15 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

One thing that was pretty cool to see from Benito Jones:  Him getting downfield and putting a clean but hard shot on Patrick Mahomes on one of is improvised runs.  I suspect he was feeling that during the game and after.

We discussed how stupid that play was. You thought it was cool to see? 

Taylor Decker left the locker room after the game in a walking boot. There is no word on his status, but the Lions do have extra rest heading into their Week 2 game next week against the Seattle Seahawks.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/09/brian-branch-ok-after-battling-cramps-taylor-decker-leaves-locker-room-in-boot.html

Hopefully the extra few days of rest before our next game allows Decker to get back to 100%

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/09/brian-branch-ok-after-battling-cramps-taylor-decker-leaves-locker-room-in-boot.html

Hopefully the extra few days of rest before our next game allows Decker to get back to 100%

Absolutely. And the cramping issue among a few players. 

sucks for us waiting 10 days though 😂

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

We discussed how stupid that play was. You thought it was cool to see? 

It would have been stupid if it had drawn a penalty.  The fact that Benito Jones has enough of a motor to chase Patrick Mahomes down until the end of the play actually says a lot about Benito Jones.  Doing in a way that didn't draw a penalty also says a lot.  Both in very good ways.

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

It also gives the Lions some extra preparation time.  DK Metcalf and company will be able to take advantage of our communications issues in the secondary to a much greater extent than the Chiefs WRs.

Rewatching earlier today, Sam LaPorta's blocking really stood out to me. Two plays in particular, he sealed the left edge to allow Jahmyr to get the corner for a big gain and he pulled and became the lead blocker blowing Nick Bolton out of the hole on Montgomery's TD. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Rewatching earlier today, Sam LaPorta's blocking really stood out to me. Two plays in particular, he sealed the left edge to allow Jahmyr to get the corner for a big gain and he pulled and became the lead blocker blowing Nick Bolton out of the hole on Montgomery's TD. 

All four rookies played well. I expect their roles to increase as the season progresses. 

Also didn’t notice at the time but it was pointed out, Jack Campbell was lined up next to the long snapper on the fake punt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

He was expected to contribute more in the passing game but his blocking was a pleasant surprise.  I read a quote from one of the coaches (not sure if it was Dan Campbell) but they commented on how his blocking was markedly better than it was even during training camp and pre-season.  It will be interesting to see how he develops as the season goes on.