Week 2: Eagles vs Vikings - Home Opener Edition

AZ_Eaglesfan

8 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Good thing we invested in the position we've looked the weakest for how long how many years right? RIGHT? 

I wanted Troy Andersen on the Falcons pretty badly. Guy moved like Kenny Gainwell, but at 6'3 and 245 lbs.

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

I wanted Troy Andersen on the Falcons pretty badly. Guy moved like Kenny Gainwell, but at 6'3 and 245 lbs.

There's always a plethora of options each off-season and each one we go the same route. I have no idea how the Eagles saw Justin Evans and went "here's our starting safety week 1" with SB aspirations no less. Someone screwed up badly there.  

I would seriously think about starting Sydney just to see just how good and ready he is and hope for the best. If he is good then great, if not and he isnt ready then at least we know for certain that we need to make a move for a starting caliber safety. Think we all know Edmunds and Evans are not and should not be the long term answers at starting opposite Reed. As far as LBer goes, Howie better hope Ellis plays the game of his life and stays healthy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

There's always a plethora of options each off-season and each one we go the same route. I have no idea how the Eagles saw Justin Evans and went "here's our starting safety week 1" with SB aspirations no less. Someone screwed up badly there.  

I feel like if we took Sydney in round 1, he'd be starting, but because we took him the 3rd and paid Edmunds in FA, Edmunds will get the benefit of the doubt to begin. Justin Evans starting to begin with...yeah I dunno. Must be familiar with Desai or something.

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I feel like if we took Sydney in round 1, he'd be starting, but because we took him the 3rd and paid Edmunds in FA, Edmunds will get the benefit of the doubt to begin.

Yeah most likely but still, how is a second year UDFA player guaranteed a starting spot in the supposedly most talented roster in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I feel like either Howie isnt confident in Desai year 1, or he knows something about the cap for next year that is keeping him from making a move. I agree this lack of talent and depth is bad even for Howie. He usually puts good safeties and LBers on superbowl caliber teams. From McLeod and Jenkins, to CJGJ, and Hicks and Bradham, to TJ and Kyzir......not this year though...its odd.

18 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Yeah most likely but still, how is a second year UDFA player guaranteed a starting spot in the supposedly most talented roster in the NFL?

They had zero contingency plan for CGJ going elsewhere. And because Howie still gonna F up. He'll get a couple things right, and then he'll F up. This year, that F up was starting safety and LB. Luckily he nailed Jalen Carter, Sydney, Tanner McKee, and Ojomo. Hopefully the staff stops hating Swift for no reason now that Gainwell is out. I'm gonna be real confused if Boston/Sermon have more totes than Swift. And hopefully they don't wait too long to elevate Sydney just because he didn't go in the first 50 picks and Howie feels like they need to get something out of his  bad FA signings before the gig is handed over to the more talented rookie.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Says more about the Safety quality of this team than anything. 

Blankenship graded out as a top 5 safety in week 1 according to PFF and was 3rd highest on the Eagles only behind the likes of Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis who balled out on the interior.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Some of you obviously didn’t pay attention to Eagles training camp this year where besides Jalen Carter the most talked about Eagle on defense probably was Blankenship. A lot of Eagles beat reporters were constantly talking about how he was always in the right spot and that’s exactly what he shows on tape too.

• Like 1

It is a problem the only ones we can kinda trust in the middle of the defense are Blankenship and Dean to a little lesser extent. Both are also younger players and just haven’t seen as much football and looks as vets would. I don’t see how we don’t at least try looking for a trade with a bad team that wants to move a LB/S. 

Both Cunningham and Ellis have their issues. Ellis hasn’t shown to be the most reliable of tacklers and Cunningham may be more reliable in that department, but he doesn’t have the movement to hold up in coverage athletically. I might trust Morrow a little more to get by with, but no matter how you slice it we are gonna be fairly weak in the middle.

11 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Some of you obviously didn’t pay attention to Eagles training camp this year where besides Jalen Carter the most talked about Eagle on defense probably was Blankenship. A lot of Eagles beat reporters were constantly talking about how he was always in the right spot and that’s exactly what he shows on tape too.

I follow the same accounts and listen to the same podcasts as you do, only don't bring them here every other post. I remember very well his practices against the Browns and whatever, either way that was in July/August, well after free agency in which Blankenship was pretty much guaranteed the starting job. Which is a huge vote of confidence and a tell of how much the Eagles value the position. 

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It is a problem the only ones we can kinda trust in the middle of the defense are Blankenship and Dean to a little lesser extent. Both are also younger players and just haven’t seen as much football and looks as vets would. I don’t see how we don’t at least try looking for a trade with a bad team that wants to move a LB/S. 

Both Cunningham and Ellis have their issues. Ellis hasn’t shown to be the most reliable of tacklers and Cunningham may be more reliable in that department, but he doesn’t have the movement to hold up in coverage athletically. I might trust Morrow a little more to get by with, but no matter how you slice it we are gonna be fairly weak in the middle.

Fairly weak is an understatement, hell calling it an understatement is an understatement. 

As much as I would like reinforcements at either position, how long would it take for a LB/S to gel with the defense at this point? 

Edited by Broadway Joe

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

I follow the same accounts and listen to the same podcasts as you do, only don't bring them here every other post. I remember very well his practices against the Browns and whatever, either way that was in July/August, well after free agency in which Blankenship was pretty much guaranteed the starting job. Which is a huge vote of confidence and a tell of how much the Eagles value the position. 

It wasn’t just the Browns practices with the Watson interceptions. He was showing up every week. I think he had the starting job wrapped up before that.

I will admit he didn’t really have the most competition with a rookie and a couple meh vets around him.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It wasn’t just the Browns practices with the Watson interceptions. He was showing up every week. I think he had the starting job wrapped up before that.

I will admit he didn’t really have the most competition with a rookie and a couple meh vets around him.

He could have had 10 interceptions the first day of training camp, that's months after Free Agency, either way the team should have done a better job at filling the position. Not handing him the keys from the get go. For all we know he'd be exposed and an afterthought by season's end.

I'm not saying I think he's bad, I thought he played well coming down last week, but we went "oh well, he can be our starter" despite losing a very good and versatile starter we went with the guy that hasn't played in 3 years and the 2nd year UDFA with like half a season of starting experience. 

That was just neglectful by Howie.