Chiefs WR Corps

Chiefer

17 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Excuse me. You are saying that I am alone in thinking that Rice/MVS/Watson/Toney/etc. is a bad fit. Bullshirt.

MVS is the primary problem. If we had a solid veteran replacement for him, the rest falls in line.

That isn't what you said in my previous quote. You said the core was good by just swapping MVS for another vet.

Swapping MVS for another vet, who you previously said should be "a FA bargain" in the mock draft thread, does not solve the issues. It's just not true.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

That isn't what you said in my previous quote. You said the core was good by just swapping MVS for another vet.

Swapping MVS for another vet, who you previously said should be "a FA bargain" in the mock draft thread, does not solve the issues. It's just not true.

It is the same.

A free agent bargain is a quality player willing to play cheap for a year to reestablish his value, such as JuJu was last season.

3 hours ago, Bullyball said:

Mike Williams if he gets released by the Chargers(they have a lot of financial cap decisions to make) this offseason would be a good get on a cheaper contract.

Exactly the kind of player we should target. 

With a Rice/Willams/Watson/James hierarchy things look much better. Paying for it is always the hard part.

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Exactly the kind of player we should target. 

With a Rice/Willams/Watson/James hierarchy things look much better. Paying for it is always the hard part.

Yeah just trying to get creative with free agency (after the Chiefs 3rd title in the Mahomes era hopefully lol). With Sneed, Jones, Gay being free agents and limited cap space; the Chiefs are going to have to look at vets that get cut. Get Williams, draft a WR and the wr corp will look better.

Question for everyone; say the Chiefs sign a vet WR in the offseason; do they go in the draft for the first round looking at another WR or LT. Donovan Smith is a free agent and he wasn't all that great; Wanya Morris has had his moments but the tackles has been a problem this season as well. Another vet, if he gets free that we can look at is Tyron Smith of the Cowboys. He's a little older and sometime misses time but still a great player; if he can continue to play up there in age ala Trent Williams, he can improve our tackle spot.

Watching QB School and JT O’Sullivan isn’t understanding why we’re not hitting the post against cover zero. It’s wide open consistently, the receiver on most of those plays? MVS. Others were Hardman, and Ross(he hit Kelce instead for a drop In the redzone)

Deep threat has to be at the top of the list of needs for this offense. Teams are sitting underneath and know we ain’t throwing it to MVS, and it’s been pretty noticeable for a while. If MVS isn’t so terrible this is such a better offense.

I’m lukewarm on Mike Williams. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player, but he occupies the same space as Rice, and he’s super injury prone. 

But beggars can’t be choosers, if he’s willing to come in on the cheap then why not? Still need a guy who can get open deep and catch/track a football though: 

I like Josh Reynolds, KJ Osborn and Noah Brown if Mike Williams isn’t available or cheapish

3 hours ago, Bullyball said:

Yeah just trying to get creative with free agency (after the Chiefs 3rd title in the Mahomes era hopefully lol). With Sneed, Jones, Gay being free agents and limited cap space; the Chiefs are going to have to look at vets that get cut. Get Williams, draft a WR and the wr corp will look better.

Question for everyone; say the Chiefs sign a vet WR in the offseason; do they go in the draft for the first round looking at another WR or LT. Donovan Smith is a free agent and he wasn't all that great; Wanya Morris has had his moments but the tackles has been a problem this season as well. Another vet, if he gets free that we can look at is Tyron Smith of the Cowboys. He's a little older and sometime misses time but still a great player; if he can continue to play up there in age ala Trent Williams, he can improve our tackle spot.

The Chiefs' offense is difficult for rookies to pick up. It's one reason why Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith are such a big deal. Investing in a high-upside WR makes sense, but not paying for a player to step in and play. Other than Harrison I don't think there is a plug-'n-play in this draft pool. Hence the need for a vet.

The hope was that Kadarius Toney and Richie James could provide the veteran skillset. KT has been hit and miss when he was healthy and he hasn't been healthy. James has been important on ST but not a factor in the passing game. So, we are looking for a solid veteran to buy another year of development for Skyy Moore, Justyn Ross, and anyone that we draft.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs' offense is difficult for rookies to pick up. It's one reason why Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith are such a big deal. Investing in a high-upside WR makes sense, but not paying for a player to step in and play. Other than Harrison I don't think there is a plug-'n-play in this draft pool. Hence the need for a vet.

The hope was that Kadarius Toney and Richie James could provide the veteran skillset. KT has been hit and miss when he was healthy and he hasn't been healthy. James has been important on ST but not a factor in the passing game. So, we are looking for a solid veteran to buy another year of development for Skyy Moore, Justyn Ross, and anyone that we draft.

I totally understand that; that's why I propose signing a veteran and drafting a rookie both at the tackle spot and WR. I'm all but ready to get rid of Skyy Moore or Toney. One of them can't be on the roster next year along with MVS being cut.

5 minutes ago, Bullyball said:

I totally understand that; that's why I propose signing a veteran and drafting a rookie both at the tackle spot and WR. I'm all but ready to get rid of Skyy Moore or Toney. One of them can't be on the roster next year along with MVS being cut.

Toney is a mixed bag. He has moments that almost make the rest worth it. Consider the punt return in the Super Bowl. He had to make the first man miss. That said, the lack of reliability is a problem.

I'll give Skyy another year. Sometimes it takes a while to figure things out. WRs are famous for blossoming in the 3rd year. 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Toney is a mixed bag. He has moments that almost make the rest worth it. Consider the punt return in the Super Bowl. He had to make the first man miss. That said, the lack of reliability is a problem.

I'll give Skyy another year. Sometimes it takes a while to figure things out. WRs are famous for blossoming in the 3rd year. 

Skyy gonna stay for his rookie contract no doubt, as is Toney.

i would like to use them sparingly though 

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t want to cut Moore or Toney free,  just want to push them back the depth chart.

I would like to see your data on 3rd year WR’s breaking out though,   Cuz that seems like a very outdated saying, that was likely more true 5-10 years ago. 

I'm gonna pound the table for Rashid Shaheed the entire off-season so be ready lol

I really think he could be a star in this system with his speed. Tyreek-lite type that will bring some big plays back to the offense. MVS has some crazy good speed but it takes him 10 mins to get to that speed, with being so tall, and I think that's why he isn't a real "deep threat" and hasn't produced, besides the stone hands. We need someone who has to get cooking quicker, if that makes sense.

40 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'm gonna pound the table for Rashid Shaheed the entire off-season so be ready lol

I really think he could be a star in this system with his speed. Tyreek-lite type that will bring some big plays back to the offense. MVS has some crazy good speed but it takes him 10 mins to get to that speed, with being so tall, and I think that's why he isn't a real "deep threat" and hasn't produced, besides the stone hands. We need someone who has to get cooking quicker, if that makes sense.

If I told you Shaheed was an ERFA and there’s no chance he’s anywhere but NO..  would that ruin your offseason?