Week-To-Week Random Tidbits

D82

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

You know, I hear what you’re saying, and I do think these stats have their flaws. EPA/play for instance I think is a team offense stat that people try to wholly assign to the QB. But to not know what EPA stands for is definitely not with the times.

As far as DBs slipping affecting WR separation rates, well, doesn’t the WR get credit for juking them? Idk. Advanced stats in football will probably always be imperfect because there are more variables (players on the field) compared to other sports, you’ll always be trying to quantify subjectivity. Doesn’t mean we should refute the numbers, just try our best to take them in context.

Well, if I'm being honest my previous post has a lot do with the fact I'm ignorant on the topic. I just don't know enough about the variables/factors and the math that is at play. The DB slipping, was he juked or just slip. What about zone coverage when the closest DB may be 3-5 yards away. Is that considered a "win rate" or whatever.

Curiosity question for anyone that knows. For the defense, a "stop". Does the defender still credit for a tackle in that category or the tackle for loss category if that "stop" is a TFL?

For the professional in the sport of football I can see where it's helpful in evaluating a player. But I would venture to say some of the stats that get thrown out many don't know what they are or mean. Interesting topic. Google may be in my future.

11 hours ago, matt79511 said:

You know, I hear what you’re saying, and I do think these stats have their flaws. EPA/play for instance I think is a team offense stat that people try to wholly assign to the QB. But to not know what EPA stands for is definitely not with the times.

As far as DBs slipping affecting WR separation rates, well, doesn’t the WR get credit for juking them? Idk. Advanced stats in football will probably always be imperfect because there are more variables (players on the field) compared to other sports, you’ll always be trying to quantify subjectivity. Doesn’t mean we should refute the numbers, just try our best to take them in context.

The stat that always drove me nuts is passing yards. It's so padded and inaccurate.

Example: Steve Young has x amount of passing yards putting him in the top 5 all time.

But he played in the WCO where many of the passes are 8 yard tosses and the WR breaks of a 40 yard RAC. 

The QB now gets credit for a 48 yard pass. Why???

He threw the ball 8 yards! Why is he gifted 40 yards that was the result of the WR who, for all intents and purposes, is a RB at that point?

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

The stat that always drove me nuts is passing yards. It's so padded and inaccurate.

Example: Steve Young has x amount of passing yards putting him in the top 5 all time.

But he played in the WCO where many of the passes are 8 yard tosses and the WR breaks of a 40 yard RAC. 

The QB now gets credit for a 48 yard pass. Why???

He threw the ball 8 yards! Why is he gifted 40 yards that was the result of the WR who, for all intents and purposes, is a RB at that point?

Just because that’s how it works. Should a QB not get credit for the last 20-25 yards on a 70 yard bomb, either, unless he actually throws it that distance?

This is part of the reason we have advanced numbers. ADOT (average depth of target) will give you a better idea of a QB’s aggressiveness in a game than simple yardage or YPA. Dak’s ADOT, by the way, was 14.7 yards downfield yesterday- highest in the league for a single game this year.

• Like 1

Here's a concern I have moving forward and it's something Romo mentioned yesterday.  Our defense leads the league in penalties.  They are great at pressure rate.  They are great at forcing turnovers.  This will be huge come playoff time.  The penalties are a worry.  Give Washington or the Giants a chance to extend a drive and nothing may come of it.  Give the Eagles or 49ers a second chance and it may kill you. 

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

Here's a concern I have moving forward and it's something Romo mentioned yesterday.  Our defense leads the league in penalties.  They are great at pressure rate.  They are great at forcing turnovers.  This will be huge come playoff time.  The penalties are a worry.  Give Washington or the Giants a chance to extend a drive and nothing may come of it.  Give the Eagles or 49ers a second chance and it may kill you. 

The penalties are definitely something to worry about. It doesn't help when the refs seem to be biased against this team though. 

15 minutes ago, D82 said:

The penalties are definitely something to worry about. It doesn't help when the refs seem to be biased against this team though. 

I'm convinced that teams will develop reputations with officials be it justified or not.  If you are a heavily penalized team/unit the zebras will watch you a little more closely.

All that being said Dallas is not an easy match up or team that anyone is pointing to as a potential match up.  

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Just because that’s how it works. Should a QB not get credit for the last 20-25 yards on a 70 yard bomb, either, unless he actually throws it that distance?

This is part of the reason we have advanced numbers. ADOT (average depth of target) will give you a better idea of a QB’s aggressiveness in a game than simple yardage or YPA. Dak’s ADOT, by the way, was 14.7 yards downfield yesterday- highest in the league for a single game this year.

To answer your 1st question NO! He should not get credit for the last 20-25 yards on a 70 yard bomb if he only threw tge damn thing 50 or 45! 

2 hours ago, Northland said:

I'm convinced that teams will develop reputations with officials be it justified or not.  If you are a heavily penalized team/unit the zebras will watch you a little more closely.

All that being said Dallas is not an easy match up or team that anyone is pointing to as a potential match up.  

If I were to wear a tinfoil hat, I would say it's the JJ affect. He's pissed on a lot of legs claiming it's raining over the years. All the way back to Texas Stadium and selling marketing deals with Pepsi. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, at the time he didn't have to share with the NFL or owners. I think I recall that correctly, but you know, been 30 years, LOL. I mean @matt79511 says I'm old.

Edited by HDsportsfan

Just now, HDsportsfan said:

If I were to wear a tinfoil hat I would say it's the JJ affect. He's pissed on a lot of legs claiming it's raining over the years. All the way back to Texas Stadium and selling marketing deals with Pepsi. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, at the time he didn't have to share with the NFL or owners. I think I recall that correctly, but you know, been 30 years, LOL

Well, don't forget about him fighting the league in public over the bogus 6 game Elliott suspension. 

And, as many of you already know, I have my strong suspicions about the league's integrity regarding their determining the outcomes of games.

To that point, I entertain the notion that perhaps Dallas was NOT supposed to emerge victorious in SB XXX. 

Just go back and watch the Neil O'Donnell INT s to Larry Brown. When they were thrown, NOT a black jersey in site. 

When going this far down the rabbit hole, you have to be open to ANY possibilty. With that in mind, JJ made sure, paid off O'Donnell (who was already leaving for tge Jets after that season) to insure he wins a SB without Jimmy Johnson.

I know, sounds bat**** crazy, but we haven't been relevant since that day.

Stranger things have happened.

50 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Well, don't forget about him fighting the league in public over the bogus 6 game Elliott suspension. 

And, as many of you already know, I have my strong suspicions about the league's integrity regarding their determining the outcomes of games.

To that point, I entertain the notion that perhaps Dallas was NOT supposed to emerge victorious in SB XXX. 

Just go back and watch the Neil O'Donnell INT s to Larry Brown. When they were thrown, NOT a black jersey in site. 

When going this far down the rabbit hole, you have to be open to ANY possibilty. With that in mind, JJ made sure, paid off O'Donnell (who was already leaving for tge Jets after that season) to insure he wins a SB without Jimmy Johnson.

I know, sounds bat**** crazy, but we haven't been relevant since that day.

Stranger things have happened.

Yeah, anything's possible.

The biggest hang up I have with that, besides the bat**** crazy part (your words, not mine😆), is can you imagine the dozens, if not hundreds of people over the years that would have to be in on it and still keep everything quiet?

Edited by HDsportsfan