The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It's going to be an interesting watch to see how the older breakout QB debate develops - Daniels, Penix, Nix and to a lesser extent Hartman (and then differently for like Spencer Rattler).

I like Daniels - I think coaching can correct a lot of the Superman issues, I'm sneaky optimistic about Nix being a solid high end backup at worst, but I am not a fan of Penix. It's interesting.

I’m the exact opposite, I don’t think the Superman mentality can be coached out of players. It must be learned by getting the crap kicked out of you by NFL defenders or sadly, getting hurt & then learning “hey, this isn’t college anymore, you can’t take on 250 pound linebackers who run a 4.5 anymore!” 

RG3 learned eventually, but it was after he had multiple concussions, a knee injury in 2012 vs Baltimore, then tore two knee ligaments in that same knee in the playoffs game & then dislocated his ankle in 2014.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve been making this very point to Daniels lovers & Howell haters on twitter for months & they simply don’t care; oh well. I think the point is obvious that Daniels & Nix were not as good as Howell the last time they all 3 played in college at the same time. Also, Howell was throwing for nearly 400 yds vs the Eagles while Daniels & Nix were doing it against college kids. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Honestly, I think Daniels is the only one I’d draft before the 3rd. And that’s just because he really is an elite runner, so if the passing game is enough to complement, he could reach a level beyond what I think Howell could eventually reach.

That’s not to say that I think Penix and Nix’s draft stock should be 3rd or lower. But given that we already have Howell, I just don’t see those two as sufficient upgrades to be worth investing valuable picks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That’s not to say that I think Penix and Nix’s draft stock should be 3rd or lower. But given that we already have Howell, I just don’t see those two as sufficient upgrades to be worth investing valuable picks. 

This is an excellent point I have not fully comprehended out loud. 

there are 3 QBs that are upgrades. There are more I like but I would rather just run it back with Sam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

This is an excellent point I have not fully comprehended out loud. 

there are 3 QBs that are upgrades. There are more I like but I would rather just run it back with Sam. 

I don’t even know if there are 3 that are definite upgrades. To me there’s 1 in Caleb Williams who’s a definite upgrade.

Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels might be upgrades over Howell or they might not, but we need to take the chance that they are in hopes of finding a franchise QB.

Seeing more and more articles about Drake Maye and his weaknesses. 

- his inconsistency on how he finished the season 

- his accuracy 

- how rattled he gets when pressured 

- tendency to bail the pocket too soon

- doesn’t react to post snap movement 

Do not envy Adam Peters on this decision on what to do at Pick 2  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

- his accuracy 

What’s weird to me is for two years somehow everyone missed all these things…

• Like 1

Here’s an out of the box thought that I think could pay off for us. 

What do folks think about drafting Johnny Wilson from FSU & converting him to TE?

6’7, 240 pounds, runs a 4.5 forty yard dash, he would be a huge mismatch against LBs & SS’s at TE & a huge target for Howell or our rookie QB in the middle of the field.

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

- his accuracy 

Literally can be said of almost every QB prospect coming out, especially after just playing 2 years in college.

• Like 1

For me I guess what it comes down to if you’re undecided between Maye and Daniels is that the deficiencies of each QB can be corrected with coaching and mentoring. Also what kind of offense you want to run. These 2 QB’s are different and think they would run different schemes. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

For me I guess what it comes down to if you’re undecided between Maye and Daniels is that the deficiencies of each QB can be corrected with coaching and mentoring. Also what kind of offense you want to run. These 2 QB’s are different and think they would run different schemes. 

Also, Maye is a year & a half younger so, you’d think you’d want to take the younger QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Lamar is a different breed. If you pick Jayden Daniels and think you’re getting Lamar 2.0, you will not be happy. 

I have tried to get this point across outside of here lol. Jackson was better at 19-years old than Daniels ever was. 

• Like 2

I still can’t believe we were on the clock with Kyle Hamilton and Chris Olave available and ended up with Jahan Dotson lol. I’m hoping these are the type of mistakes Peters stops this team from making going forward. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1