The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I hate to say it, but if the Bears are trading the #1 pick you have to trade up to get Caleb unless it's some crazy asking price. If you want a Super Bowl you need to be able to go score for score with Mahomes & out duel/outmagic him.

Caleb looks like a poor man's Mahomes in how he plays. You trade up to 1 to take him if the Bears are trading the pick with a package w/in reason.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I hate to say it, but if the Bears are trading the #1 pick you have to trade up to get Caleb unless it's some crazy asking price. If you want a Super Bowl you need to be able to go score for score with Majomes & out duel/out magic him.

Caleb looks like a poor man's Mahomes in how he plays. You trade up to 1 to take him if the Bears are trading tge pick with a package w/in reason.

They actually have put it out there that they want "a historic return" if they traded out of #1. 

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I hate to say it, but if the Bears are trading the #1 pick you have to trade up to get Caleb unless it's some crazy asking price. If you want a Super Bowl you need to be able to go score for score with Majomes & out duel/out magic him.

Caleb looks like a poor man's Mahomes in how he plays. You trade up to 1 to take him if the Bears are trading tge pick with a package w/in reason.

I’m not against moving up. I just don’t think there will be a within reason cost because from one too two should be made with 2 and next years first you can throw change too it to get it done but there’s no way you go crazy it’s just unrealistic to move one spot. These projected hauls are equal too or as much as last years and that was to move 8 picks not 1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

They actually have put it out there that they want "a historic return" if they traded out of #1. 

That’s where I say then take him!!! If they want to move then they will make a deal. If they don’t want to move then make your pick and we will draft accordingly but to pay something insane is just crazy to me for one spot

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yeah, I know let's see if they mean that or not. We won't know until close to or on draft day. If it does end up that that's all they'll take then I'm not trading up.

We keep seeing Mahomes beat good but not great Shanahan Qbs though in the SB, and it just makes you think that we need to do better than a very good QB if we want to beat Mahomes.

Maybe Maye or Daniels is going to be elite though, but I don't think either is as good as Caleb w/ pocket presence, getting through progressions and they don't have as quick of a release as him or his arm talent.

It's crazy to me that anyone is considering a trade up. We have the #2 pick... They can't select all the QBs. They can't select MHJr and Alt. People are seriously ok with trading away our first next year (most likely a high pick) and probably more to move up one spot... 

Just stay at 2 and take whatever QB/Player you want. Don't mortgage our future because you were scared Chicago would take him. Caleb Williams better be Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers combined. 

I'm still on the "we'll take less than Chicago for #2" train and build the team up through the draft. 

27 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not against moving up. I just don’t think there will be a within reason cost because from one too two should be made with 2 and next years first you can throw change too it to get it done but there’s no way you go crazy it’s just unrealistic to move one spot. These projected hauls are equal too or as much as last years and that was to move 8 picks not 1

That’s true and if that's the case then you stay put.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:30 AM, Slappy Mc said:

It's crazy to me that anyone is considering a trade up. We have the #2 pick... They can't select all the QBs. They can't select MHJr and Alt. People are seriously ok with trading away our first next year (most likely a high pick) and probably more to move up one spot... 

Just stay at 2 and take whatever QB/Player you want. Don't mortgage our future because you were scared Chicago would take him. Caleb Williams better be Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers combined. 

I'm still on the "we'll take less than Chicago for #2" train and build the team up through the draft. 

I stated why I feel that way. It's bc I feel that if you're going to beat Mahomes & get a Super Bowl then you need a Super Star QB who can get to that level & duel with him. 

Caleb Williams is the most likely player of the 3 to be able to do that.

We’ve seen Mahomes beat Josh Allen over & over again. We've seen Mahomes beat what people consider better teams or “the best team” the Eagles & 49ers twice.

I’m just saying, if you want a Super Bowl you have to get to that level.

Now maybe Maye or Daniels become elite too & get close enough with a great team around them but, that seems like more of a big question mark to me than Caleb Williams being the next “dude.”

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I stated why I feel that way. It's bc I feel that if you're going to beat Mahomes & get a Super Bowl then you need a Super Star QB who can get to that level & duel with him. 

We’ve seen Mahomes beat Josh Allen over & over again. We've seen Mahomes beat what people consider better teams or “the best team” the Eagles & 49ers twice.

Now maybe Maye or Daniels become elite too & get close enough with a great team around them but, that seems like more of a big question mark to me than Caleb Daniels being the next “dude.”

I'm not sold any of these QB are Patrick Mahomes level or potential. I don't think any of then are CJ Stroud level either. Caleb Williams could prove me wrong and come in like a smooth operator, but I just don't see it. 

I think Adam Peters will be consistent with his philosophy and build through the draft. I don't believe trading up is included in that. Someone else can pay the price to play the game. 

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Now maybe Maye or Daniels become elite too & get close enough with a great team around them but, that seems like more of a big question mark to me than Caleb Daniels being the next “dude.”

See this is where we are lockstep. The questions we have or concerns with Maye or Daniels this is the only logical way to answer the difference between the level of player between the 3. If we put Williams on UNC I believe the beat Clemson and give Florida St a real run at UNC. You put Williams on LSU they are the natty winner or runner up this last season and I don’t think anyone can deny that. What does that say? There’s a clear drop off in collective ability. I agree Williams is the guy in this class. Does he have mental makeup concerns? Heck yes but on tape the kid is about as exciting from an arm and movement and stylistically as you can find. After that I believe the guys behind the 2 and 3 top guys are closer to 4,5,6,7,8 then they are too Williams and that is my reservation for picking the 2,3 guy at 2. I know that sentiment isn’t popular and I understand and respect each persons opinion and reasoning for thinking you still go QB. I just man I just feel like that’s why the teams picking high most of them were teams that took QB2,3,4 in their class and over drafted those players. It wasn’t so much that the player couldn’t turn out it’s where they went and the situation. I don’t want to overdraft a guy and hinder him because we needed the better player around that guy for it to even work and develop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sold any of these QB are Patrick Mahomes level or potential. I don't think any of then are CJ Stroud level either. Caleb Williams could prove me wrong and come in like a smooth operator, but I just don't see it. 

I think Adam Peters will be consistent with his philosophy and build through the draft. I don't believe trading up is included in that. Someone else can pay the price to play the game. 

See I think Peter’s will be aggressive if he views the risk reward and believes it’s worth it. I believe he will be involved in vet moves going forward if he see’s the player as an upgrade fit and the cost warrants the return. But I don’t believe he will just sell the farm to buy a farmer when he can’t keep the farm in his name if that makes sense

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

See I think Peter’s will be aggressive if he views the risk reward and believes it’s worth it. I believe he will be involved in vet moves going forward if he see’s the player as an upgrade fit and the cost warrants the return. But I don’t believe he will just sell the farm to buy a farmer when he can’t keep the farm in his name if that makes sense

If they decide to go that route, "trust the process". 

I just really think trading away valuable assets for one spot, when you are in position to get ANY player outside of who Chicago picks, is just bad business. 

It should be an interesting draft for sure. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know we interviewed him. Looks very athletic and fast. Not from a big school but worth a shot. 

Nice. I listed him as one of my late targets in an NFL Draft forum thread. He produced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

You know what the teams Adam Peters has helped build in San Fran have done twice in the last 5 years?

They’ve been “almost SB winners” as Mahomes has beaten his teams twice.

I say if you can get a guy who has a similar playing style, moxy & skillset to Mahomes you do it.

I’m not really sure what you're watching if you see the movement in and out of the pocket, how Caleb manipulates the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield while rifling off ridiculous throws with/ elite arm talent off-platform at times with/ escapability & not thinking it's Mahomes like.

I’m NOT saying Caleb will be Mahomes but, he certainly has a lot of similar traits and has a really good chance ro be a great QB. He can be a poor man’s Mahomes for sure.

Edited by turtle28