The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Wilson was traded for how many first round picks and players? Apparently people thought he was elite. I think our WR corp is pretty much the same. 

And he is about to get released by the team. I don't care what they traded for him, we don't have to give up anything other than money to get him here to be a bridge QB. Quinn having familiarity with him is a plus for me if it happens.

Based on this past season's results I could agree, but I think our WR room is more talented than theirs.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

And he is about to get released by the team. I don't care what they traded for him, we don't have to give up anything other than money to get him here to be a bridge QB. Quinn having familiarity with him is a plus for me if it happens.

Based on this past season's results I could agree, but I think our WR room is more talented than theirs.

I don't get the Russell Wilson sales pitch.  He got jettisoned from Seattle, then couldn't make it work with coach 1 in denver, then got tossed by coach 2 in denver and he is old as heck.  Not too mention, his entire team basically revolted from him.  This is the opposite of how you improve culture.  

Sure you want a grizzled vet, lets do it, but lets get one with a recent history of success and who's colleagues and coaches like him.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Always love seeing input from folks with expertise, but it’s a huge red flag for me seeing a guy say something like “I’m only going to be looking at his highlights because I want to focus on his good plays and not judge him on his bad plays.” Yikes. 

Applying that methodology, I can definitely see how you’d have Jayden as QB1. Find the great runs and the great deep balls, ignore everything else. He’s got two A+ traits (those two I just named) and that accounts for every one of those highlights. There’s a little more to playing QB in the NFL than running QB draws and throwing slot fades to the best WRs in the country. Which Benkert knows, which is why this approach feels extra weird. He’s just intentionally ignoring the whole picture. Like he doesn’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings.

The best example is probably the part where he says “and he’s smart about not taking big hits.” Which is arguably the single biggest criticism of Daniels. Even on these highlights he’s watching, he’s getting slammed to the ground by college safeties and LBs. But he sees him successfully duck out of bounds on one play and deems the kid “smart about not taking hits.”

I also just have to point out…hilarious that he offhandedly makes the observation that he thinks maybe Daniels might have played other sports growing up. Word? You think the 6’4, 210 pound guy with the 4.4-4.5 speed might have played other sports? Holmes, you’ve done it again! 😂

Anyway, thanks for sharing @ARTMONK HOF…another opinion to add to the bank of opinions, and the sentiment is definitely growing that Jayden is the most exciting guy. Just a little frustrating to see a guy who obviously knows this stuff taking such a superficial approach.

• Like 3

Not sure if this one was posted already. I’ve been meaning to watch it for a while and couldn’t sleep, so I put it on.

A lot of Washington vibes here, Colt McCoy breaking down a lot of the good (and some of the bad) from Drake Maye vs. Duke. A little bonus Kliff Kingsbury reference, with Colt bringing up the clap cadence and the fact that Kliff is really the only guy who’s used it in the NFL. He thought it worked well for them in ARI, and it would certainly ease part of the transition for these college kids.

Colt’s main takeaway seems to be the same as a lot of us…just a lot there to like. Big arm, throws absolute seeds out to 40 yards, sees the field well, more creativity than you’d suspect. Definitely hits on some of the major issues as well — footwork got a little wonky at times (bailing out a little, I think, based on the context that I know from prior games), gets a little overheated when things break down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

A bridge QB to what? 7 win perpetuity? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

This is the opposite of how you improve culture.  

Bingo. Bringing in RW when you want to improve your culture is a farce. He's alienated all of his teammates. 

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't get the Russell Wilson sales pitch.  He got jettisoned from Seattle, then couldn't make it work with coach 1 in denver, then got tossed by coach 2 in denver and he is old as heck.  Not too mention, his entire team basically revolted from him.  This is the opposite of how you improve culture.  

Sure you want a grizzled vet, lets do it, but lets get one with a recent history of success and who's colleagues and coaches like him.

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Bingo. Bringing in RW when you want to improve your culture is a farce. He's alienated all of his teammates. 

Can you guys enlighten me as to how he alienated his teammates and had them revolt against him? 

I know he is very cringe with his "Let's Ride" and "Go Hawks" shtick, but my understanding is he was well liked and a hard worker. The benching wasn't performance related, they wanted him to void his GTD money on his contract and when he refused they deemed him an injury risk and sat him the rest of the year. He would could 55M towards their cap next year and I can understand not wanting Russell at that price, but 25-30M should be enticing to more people. 

I know I'm alone in this thought, but bringing in someone like Russell actually helps build that culture. If he can help develop a rookie QB or Sam Howell, I think it's an absolute boon. 

58 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

A bridge QB to what? 7 win perpetuity? 

Relevance.

Even though it's being shot down, a guy who has played under Dan Quinn, can lead by example would be huge for a team that has had no leadership from the QB position since Kirk Cousins. 

Lets run hypotheticals for you, lets say he wins 7 games next year, would you be upset? How many games would he have to win for it to not make you upset? Now think about a rookie QB and ask the same questions. IMO, if Russ can help us get to 9-8 or even 8-9 that's a win (same goes for any other QB). Then the following year becomes Sam Howells make or break season as it would be his last on contract. If Howell doesn't step up, then we are drafting our QBotF, hopefully with a much better roster, in 2026. 

This is most likely not the route they take, but it's one the absolutely should consider when Denver releases Russ. 

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Can you guys enlighten me as to how he alienated his teammates and had them revolt against him? 

https://www.king5.com/article/sports/nfl/seahawks/marshawn-lynch-relationship-russell-wilson-seahawks/281-af9abe6a-52c4-411a-8ea0-d21710c1831f

"No, I can't pick up the phone and call old boy or nothing," Lynch told Sharpe about his relationship with Wilson during their time in Seattle.

Lynch acknowledged that anything he says about Wilson will be taken maliciously due to the infamous interception the quarterback threw at the goal line in the Super Bowl and the fact that Wilson left Seattle in a way that put a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of Seahawks fans. However, Lynch revealed that he had to use an intermediary to get in contact with Wilson while the two were teammates.

"I reached out to our player personnel dude and said, 'Hey man, let me get Russ number, I want to call him and holler at him,'" Lynch told Sharpe. "He called me back and was like, 'Did you get a call?' and I'm like, 'No,' (and) he's like, 'No Russ just said he called you' and I'm like, 'No I got a call from a blocked number' and he's like, 'Oh that's him.'"

Lynch said the conversation did not go as he hoped...

Another story Lynch told was one of an incident at a Seahawks practice that centered around "accountability." After practice, Lynch said Carroll gathered him and some of the team's other leaders who apparently had an issue with Wilson that day. Carroll told the players not to talk to Wilson directly about their concerns and anytime they had an issue with how the quarterback was leading the team, they should speak to Carroll first, according to Lynch's account of the situation. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/kj-wright-trashes-russell-wilson-seahawks-broncos

Richard Sherman barked about Wilson all season long as an Amazon Prime analyst, and now another former Seattle teammate is chirping. Former Seahawks and Las Vegas Raiders linebacker K.J. Wright had some interesting words for Russell on his podcast K.J. All Day.

"I don't want to go viral with this. I really don't. But a few dudes have came on here—off record, on record—and have said what they've said of how they felt about No. 3. When you play this game, when you go through this journey, it's all about the brothers. It's all about the brotherhood. And when it's all said and done, he's got a lot of making up to do. He's got a lot of phone calls to make. A lot of, 'Hey, bro, I should have done better with that.' And that's the God's honest truth. I can hold that inside but he's got a lot of making up to do." 

https://defector.com/how-did-russell-wilson-get-to-be-so-hated

...his tumultuous first season with the Denver Broncos, sharing tidbits about his big-boy office with an "open door policy," his personal staff and input on the playbook, and his penchant for mixing inspirational quotes into the huddle, as if he's starring in his own personal Rudy film. It was reported that, prior to being traded to Denver, he had gone to Seahawks ownership asking for the dismissal of head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

There have been a lot of assertions made about Russell Wilson over the past few years: He's kind of a diva, he has a huge ego, he associates himself more with management than with players, he's too focused on his brand, he's a cornball. There have been subtle digs from his former coach, less subtle digs from his former teammates, and even a kicker getting in jabs.

To be fair to Sherman, it doesn't really seem like he's wrong. The theme that keeps coming up in all these stories about Wilson is that he's separated himself from the guys on his team, behaving almost as a second coach on the field, or even worse, the "cool boss"—the type of guy who will throw three interceptions and then bring in a frozen margarita machine on casual Fridays to seem like he's still your pal. It's annoying, sure, maybe even lame. Is it that different from Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? I'm not totally convinced.

https://www.vibe.com/news/sports/shannon-sharpe-russell-wilson-attitude-teammates-1234722685/

Shannon Sharpe claims that the attitude of NFL star Russell Wilson has rubbed his Denver Broncos teammates the wrong way. On Tuesday (Dec. 27), Sharpe, who spent 12 seasons with the Broncos during his Hall of Fame playing career, shared insight into the relationship – or lack thereof – between Wilson and various Broncos players.

During a recent episode of FS1’s Undisputed, which he co-hosts alongside sports analyst Skip Bayless, the three-time Super Bowl champion pointed to Wilson’s perception of being a prima donna as a source of his teammates’ ire. “I said it before, I’ll say it again, and I stand by it: You ticked a lot of people off with your attitude, bro,” the 54-year-old said of Wilson. “You can come out here and talk about how we’re a team and I’m good with my teammates, but deep down inside, they’re seething, and I’m gonna leave it at that.”

The Club Shay Shay creator also pointed to Wilson’s lack of structure and diminished athleticism as the cause for his downward spiral this season. “Let me tell you what the problem is,” Sharpe began. “Russell Wilson has never been a 1-2-3 get rid of the ball [guy]… He was very good at improvisation. He was very good, Skip [Bayless], at getting off-script. Russell has lost athleticism. Russ cannot outrun anybody! So he can’t make those improvisational plays like he could for those first 10 years in Seattle. You [would] never see Russ get dragged down from behind. Now, Russ don’t look like he could outrun me.”

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Relevance.

For good reasons?

Lets run hypotheticals for you, lets say he wins 7 games next year, would you be upset?

Yes. It's that mediocre perpetuity we've been in. Another #11 pick to work with and no future at the QB position in sight. 

How many games would he have to win for it to not make you upset?

Playoffs.

Now think about a rookie QB and ask the same questions. IMO, if Russ can help us get to 9-8 or even 8-9 that's a win (same goes for any other QB). Then the following year becomes Sam Howells make or break season as it would be his last on contract. If Howell doesn't step up, then we are drafting our QBotF, hopefully with a much better roster, in 2026. 

A lot changes in the NFL in two years. We know this. We might have an even bigger dumpster fire of a team, or we might be better off. And if Sam Howell goes absolutely nuts? You're paying him a lot of money and trying to move the team forward with an albatross QB contract and working around that. 

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So nothing from this past season where he worked with Sean Payton?

I get the Seahawks stuff, I live in Washington state so I remember his rocky exit, but again, I can find plenty of articles about during those good seasons, how much they loved him. The fans all turned on him too once he was gone. Wishing injury upon him and burning #3 jerseys. It was over the top. 

The Denver situation started really bad. He should have never been given an office. He absolutely came crashing down to earth with Sean Payton and looked pretty good this year. 

I hear those dudes talking about inequity of responsibility, like he walked around with a silver spoon and no one is suggesting that be the case here. I am suggesting him coming in and competing, like every other play on the roster for a spot and maybe a starting gig. 

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

For good reasons?

Much better than what we have had for over 10+ years. 

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes. It's that mediocre perpetuity we've been in. Another #11 pick to work with and no future at the QB position in sight. 

Playoffs.

So you expect a QB to come in next year, with the roster that we have and go to the playoffs or you aren't happy. Got it. 

I do like how you failed to answer the same questions for a rookie QB, because undoubtedly you will be more forgiving for a rookie QB than you would a veteran like Russell. 

At this point it seems like EVERYONE is "rookie QB or we riot" so I'll just take more of a back seat to these conversations. I'll be here if/when they select a QB in the draft and I'll be here if they sign a FA QB, or god-help-us-all, if they trade for a QB. I'll support whatever route they go to the best of my abilities. I feel that everyone else seems to have a super strong opinion and feelings towards this QB class, so I hope we get someone good and it works out. 

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

A lot changes in the NFL in two years. We know this. We might have an even bigger dumpster fire of a team, or we might be better off. And if Sam Howell goes absolutely nuts? You're paying him a lot of money and trying to move the team forward with an albatross QB contract and working around that. 

I really doubt we are worse off in two years, but you are correct, anything can happen. 

If Sam Howell plays well and they feel comfortable with him as their guy, run with it. 

Also, what type of albatross QB contract are you talking about? No one is suggesting keeping his current contract and no one is giving him a LTD. Something in the range of 25-30M should be enough on a 2 year deal, with an out before year 2. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

So nothing from this past season where he worked with Sean Payton?

Outside of him shutting down that special office stuff and benching him... I dunno.

Should I give Russell a pass that he's a changed man? 

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

So you expect a QB to come in next year, with the roster that we have and go to the playoffs or you aren't happy. Got it. 

I do like how you failed to answer the same questions for a rookie QB, because undoubtedly you will be more forgiving for a rookie QB than you would a veteran like Russell. 

Well, yes. We always want to win and make the playoffs. But, a rookie QB is an entirely different situation than bringing in 35 year old Russell Wilson to bridge something - we did this with Alex Smith, Carson Wentz recently. It went fantastic right? All those 7 wins! You're telling me it's the same situation? 

A QB on the decline, or the potential of young QB on the rise.

Also, what type of albatross QB contract are you talking about? No one is suggesting keeping his current contract and no one is giving him a LTD. Something in the range of 25-30M should be enough on a 2 year deal, with an out before year 2. 

As long as you can resign for that, then great!