The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Pushing back again because I think there's high caliber established QBs in the league currently that cannot make this play.

I mean, I just don't think we'll ever agree here. Its especially tough because you are a Michigan fan. Trust me, I thought Tyrod Taylor and Bryan Randall hung the moon lol. I also got to watch Michael Vick every weekend for two years. To me, I think that play is a play most high level QBs and even some that aren't can make. I fully believe Sam Howell can make that play but again, I could be wrong. I haven't watched nearly as much McCarthy as you have so you probably know a lot more about his game than I do. I can only go off of what I've seen and what I've watched on Saturdays and on youtube. I mean, wouldn't say I'm totally trashing McCarthy here as I said he would be the top pick in next years draft. I did say he was Christian Ponder-esque but I think people forget how good of an athlete Ponder was. Hell, my comparison for Jayden Daniels is Josh Johnson. I just try to find guys that I think have similar style of builds and play and go from there. That doesn't mean they won't be better at the next level. 

12 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Like... how can you watch this play, seeing that it breaks down well, with a free rusher in his face where JJ McCarthy has to go back for this pass, and throw it off balance on his back foot, and not think "Damn, there's something about this kid"

To be honest, I think his catch is much better than the throw. He passed the toughness test for sure, but I've seen enough plays like that where the QB blindly heaves it because his guy is somewhere in the area to know that was a bad play call and a bad decision by McCarthy. 

It actually reminds me a lot of the Howell throw across his body/across the field play that got heralded as one of his best plays that was an absolute terrible decision that "worked out". 

Again, I don't dislike any of the QBs in this draft, I just think their draft position and rankings are severely inflated. With all the talk about this draft class there better be some HoFers that come from it. Comparing these QBs to pros that had superb careers before they ever take a snap is insane to me. 

Tim Hasselbeck says Maye is as good as it gets. Best prospect he's seen in 15 years.  I think I've swung off him and come full circle back to him . Hasselbeck says his isues are fixable, footwork etc. I do love his size and arm . Can't teach those -They are gifts .

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Tim Hasselbeck says Maye is as good as it gets. Best prospect he's seen in 15 years.  I think I've swung off him and come full circle back to him . Hasselbeck says his isues are fixable, footwork etc. I do love his size and arm . Can't teach those -They are gifts .

Yep. As much as I like Daniels, Maye is the no-brainer at two for me. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yep. As much as I like Daniels, Maye is the no-brainer at two for me. 

According to Breer we're leaning Daniels. I have no clue where he has got his info from because none of the local guys have anything. I will be so incredibly disappointed if they pick Daniels over Maye. I have watched countless breakdowns of Daniels, every highlight there is to watch and what I came away thinking is just how good Brian Thomas is lol. Every highlight that is not of Daniels running is him standing in a perfectly formed pocket with 3-5 seconds to throw the ball and Lacy, Thomas and Nabors running wide open. There are some where he drops it in the bucket but man, so many are just of him standing back there, making a ham sandwich throwing to all-world receivers that defenders couldn't cover. 

There's still a prototype with the kind of QB that teams like, and, the only thing that gives me pause is they initially said they wanted to follow the Ravens model. Now, I think things we've done are contrary to that thought. 

I think with Daniels, first year could be super exciting, and hell, maybe after that too for awhile, but he does get hit like he's on Dragon Ball Z and that is worrisome.

Like we can focus on the years Kliff had with Kyler Murray, but its not like Daniels is the same QB as Murray or anyone else he's coached. Here's the list:

Case Keenum
Johnny Manziel
Baker Mayfield
Davis Webb
Patrick Mahomes
Nick Shimonek
Alan Bowman

From what I gathered from different opinions on Maye/Daniels is that Maye is a little bit more of a project at this point and Daniels is more ready. This could be due to Daniel’s age. Dynamic runner but worried about his light build. Some throws Maye is only able to make due to his arm strength. Makes some bad decisions when pressured. As long as the deficiencies about Maye can DEFINITELY be corrected maybe you roll with him. The one thing that draws me to JD is his ball placement. 
It’s such a crapshoot and you’re hoping it doesn’t come up snake eyes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

According to Breer we're leaning Daniels. I have no clue where he has got his info from because none of the local guys have anything. I will be so incredibly disappointed if they pick Daniels over Maye. I have watched countless breakdowns of Daniels, every highlight there is to watch and what I came away thinking is just how good Brian Thomas is lol. Every highlight that is not of Daniels running is him standing in a perfectly formed pocket with 3-5 seconds to throw the ball and Lacy, Thomas and Nabors running wide open. There are some where he drops it in the bucket but man, so many are just of him standing back there, making a ham sandwich throwing to all-world receivers that defenders couldn't cover. 

It's funny when I read your comments about Jayden. You actually legit never seem to have great things to say about him. I come away feeling like you don't actually believe we should take him at #2 if we were to take someone other than Maye despite him being a QB. 

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It's funny when I read your comments about Jayden. You actually legit never seem to have great things to say about him. I come away feeling like you don't actually believe we should take him at #2 if we were to take someone other than Maye despite him being a QB. 

I'm sure it reads that way. I have major concerns with him. 4 years of mediocre to somewhat good play. Struggled with pressure prior to this season. Doesn't have the strongest arm and takes off and runs far too often when other options are available to him. Scared to take chances in the middle of the field. Doesn't protect himself when he does run. 

There are plusses to his game that I'm impressed with. He goes through his progressions well. He tends to make the right read and he can drop the deep ball in a basket. His running is very impressive. He's very accurate. So I'm torn between the issues I find to be major concerns magnified by his spindly build.

I absolutely believe he is going to suffer from nagging injuries at the next level and I don't think he's so advanced as a passer that just his throwing can make up for his legs slowing down. I've said before if Maye was not in this draft then I'd be much more comfortable taking Daniels at 2. With Maye in his draft however I think its a major reach to take Daniels before him. I could be totally wrong on this and Daniels could end up being great but I have a ton of fears with him. 

Its also the SEC vs ACC thing but when Daniels played FSU they got destroyed. He had one TD pass that came with a minute left in the game. Jordan Travis clearly outplayed him. FSU scored 31 unanswered points in the second half and LSU was a top 5 team at the time. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1