The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love Howell but I think Maye has the higher ceiling just based off his size.

I mean, that's well and good but I don't want both of them on the roster. If you draft Maye you have to move Howell. At the pace he's currently at he's going to come close to or eclipse 30 TD passes and will throw for 5K yards. How do you then turn around and sit that go on the bench? lol

****I just want to add to this its solely based on trading up and the cost. If they choose Maye with their natural pick then I can live with it. If you trade up for a QB after the season Howell is having I think you're making a giant mistake and the cost will be painful and hurt the build. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

If Arizona finishes ahead of the Patriots for #2 overall, would you trade up from #5 for Maye? It shouldn’t cost too much ammo.

Last time we traded up to the #2 pick from the #6 pick on 2012 it cost us our 2012 first & second round picks plus a first round pick in 2013 and 2014. 

The only player I’d trade up for is Caleb Williams but given that he's from DC, I wouldn't do so.

The last several players we've drafted from the DC area have had too many off the field distractions & ended up not being what they should've been for us given their natural talent level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, that's well and good but I don't want both of them on the roster. If you draft Maye you have to move Howell. At the pace he's currently at he's going to come close to or eclipse 30 TD passes and will throw for 5K yards. How do you then turn around and sit that go on the bench? lol

Easy, he's under contract. I don't see the harm in having Howell as the best back in the NFL for the 2024 season should Maye be better than Howell. I'd move Howell in 2025 for picks though as long as Maye ends up being better.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I don't see the harm in having Howell as the best back in the NFL for the 2024 season should Maye be better than Howell. I'd move Howell in 2025 for picks though as long as Maye ends up being better.

I'm not giving up multiple first round picks for a question mark in Maye. Williams, maybe and that's a big maybe taking his attitude into consideration but I am not dumping a bunch of draft picks for what appears to never work out for the team doing it. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm not giving up multiple first round picks for a question mark in Maye. Williams, maybe and that's a big maybe taking his attitude into consideration but I am not dumping a bunch of draft picks for what appears to never work out for the team doing it. 

I wouldn't trade up for Maye. I would draft him with our natural pick if he falls to us. I 100% agree I'm not trading up for anyone. I wouldn’t trade down either. I’m staying with our natural pick and taking the best player available.  

10 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

I hope we can sign a free agent DE like Allen or Burns it’d help make our first round pick even easier . Tatu  been ballin in college who I would love first round . 

I wouldn't sign a 3rd DL & pay them $20 mil plus a year.

I think the way to go at DE is to sign a veteran who's not going to cost $20 mil plus a year & then draft a DE with one of our R2 picks.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think the way to go at DE is to sign a veteran who's not going to cost $20 mil plus a year & then draft a DE with one of our R2 picks.

I can't think of a more disappointing scenario for me than another 1st round DL lol

52 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Im not sure if I would trade up but if I did I would only trade up for C. Williams. Don’t know how the new ownership views SH.

Usually new ownership and front office personnel want to choose their own QB. A trade up for C. Williams would be incredible, but I think getting Maye would be a great move for the future too. Maye’s ceiling is Big Ben/Phillip Rivers imo.

In addition, you restart the rookie QB contract. SH is a UFA in 2 years.

Edited by Tony7188

Just now, Tony7188 said:

Usually new ownership and front office personnel want to choose their own QB. A trade up for C. Williams would be incredible, but I think getting Maye would be a great move for the future too.

SH is good but I think Maye has a higher ceiling. 

Lets be realistic here, for us to move up we're looking at at least two firsts and probably a second plus more. When was the last time a team traded up with a big package of picks for a QB and it worked out? Instead of dealing all those picks away wouldn't it make more sense to put a line around Howell otherwise we'll have Drake Maye running for his life for the next two years most likely. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Let’s be realistic here, for us to move up we're looking at at least two firsts and probably a second plus more. When was the last time a team traded up with a big package of picks for a QB and it worked out? Instead of dealing all those picks away wouldn't it make more sense to put a line around Howell otherwise we'll have Drake Maye running for his life for the next two years most likely. 

That makes sense. Joe Alt or MHJ (if you can get him) would be a big get as well. I wouldn’t touch Bowers with a top 5 pick. Elite talent, but the positional value isn’t there. 

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

That makes sense. Joe Alt or MHJ (if you can get him) would be a big get as well. I wouldn’t touch Bowers with a top 5 pick. Elite talent, but the positional value isn’t there. 

Yeah, I love Bowers but I would take MHJ or Fashanu over him. Not sure I'd go Alt over him though. I think Alt is going to struggle at LT in the NFL. 

• Like 1

Now with the fifth pick.

WAS

Marvin Harrison Jr.
WR Ohio State
WAS

Laiatu Latu
EDGE UCLA
WAS

Donovan Jackson
OG Ohio State
WAS

D.J. James
CB Auburn
WAS

Johnny Wilson
WR Florida State
WAS

T.J. Tampa
CB Iowa State
WAS

Jordan Burch
EDGE Oregon
WAS

Dontay Corleone
DT Cincinnati
WAS

Jamon Dumas-Johnson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why not ? We got 90 mil in cap space and burns and Allen are young . We have to use the money somehow .