Week 4 Thread: (2-1) Commanders at (3-0) Eagles - GIF THEME Rocky

MikeT14

Just now, lavar703 said:

That’s my premise though. IF this continues. Obviously if they regress to the mean it’s a very easy decision. 

I'd they both continue at their trajectory and end up with 14+ sacks each, you keep them both IMO. Whether that be two LTDs or a LTD with the other getting tagged. This would be an ideal scenario in my mind because you would be rewarding excellent play with excellent pay. 

It would be very foolish for the team to let either of them walk having put up numbers like you are suggesting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If I’m building a roster I DO NOT open up unnecessary HOLES. So, I don’t let players walk who I drafted, that fit my scheme and are in their mid 20s when they’re coming into their 2nd contract unless I truly can’t afford them, which is not the case here with Chase Young for ex. bc we have $83 mil in cap space before we even make cuts to someone such as Andrew Wylie next March which will open up another $1.5 million & Logan Thomas which is another $6.5 mil. We could have over $90 mil to re-sign Curl, Chase and/or Sweat. 

The only issue I have with the underlined is you did not detail that the 2nd contract was earned through production. It sure would be nice to keep homegrown/drafted talent here, but if the production doesn't warrant the extension, there is ZERO chance I'm giving millions of dollars to someone because "I drafted them, they fit my scheme and are in their mid-20s". 

I agree with the rest. It would be nice for all of the F.O.'s draft picks to be hits and earn their second contracts. The history of the NFL does not represent that though. There will be a good number of drafted players (including 1st round picks) that don't get that second contract from their drafted team.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The only issue I have with the underlined is you did not detail that the 2nd contract was earned through production. It sure would be nice to keep homegrown/drafted talent here, but if the production doesn't warrant the extension, there is ZERO chance I'm giving millions of dollars to someone because "I drafted them, they fit my scheme and are in their mid-20s". 

I agree with the rest. It would be nice for all of the F.O.'s draft picks to be hits and earn their second contracts. The history of the NFL does not represent that though. There will be a good number of drafted players (including 1st round picks) that don't get that second contract from their drafted team.

I’m sorry, I guess I thought the underlined was assumed. Of course I’m not giving out a 2nd contract if the player hadn’t produced.

For ex even though I was disappointed it didn’t work out with RG3, by the time 2015 rolled around and Kirk was playing Ike a top half of the league starter I had no problem moving on from RG3 at that time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, I just realized Eric Bienemy and myself share the same birthday of August 15th so I’m all for giving him a lifetime contract

Honestly, if Sam Howell continues to play good to great most of the rest of this season then I’d dump Rivera or move Rivera to the front office & give Bieniemy a lifetime HC contract too.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If Rivera gets canned I'd rather just clean house and start over entirely. 

Unless E.B. shows you that it would be a huge mistake* NOT to keep him in some capacity, I'm on this same wavelength. 

*If we somehow became a top 5 offense and were looking like a powerhouse, I'd keep him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Honestly, if Sam Howell continues to play good to great most of the rest of this season then I’d dump Rivera or move Rivera to the front office & give Bieniemy a lifetime HC contract too.

I know it's in jest, but lifetime contracts should not be offered... ever.

I do think we are all looking forward to the days where we don't have to hear Ron's excuses and weird foot-in-mouth comments that create issues. If it happened during the season, I agree with most, we may not notice a difference.

With that said, I would like to see JDR go before Ron and give him a chance to run the defense. I'm not sure if what we are seeing is a collective scheme or just JDR, but im pretty much over our underwhelming defense with a "defensive-minded" HC. 

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I know it's in jest, but lifetime contracts should not be offered... ever.

I do think we are all looking forward to the days where we don't have to hear Ron's excuses and weird foot-in-mouth comments that create issues. If it happened during the season, I agree with most, we may not notice a difference.

With that said, I would like to see JDR go before Ron and give him a chance to run the defense. I'm not sure if what we are seeing is a collective scheme or just JDR, but im pretty much over our underwhelming defense with a "defensive-minded" HC. 

Ron and Jack are a tandem IMO they’re running the defense & a huge reason why in the 4 years Ron has had total control we’ve only drafted 2 offensive player in 8 picks of round in 1 & 2 is because Ron & Jack are essentially running the entire operation together.

If Jack is gone, Ron should be gone at the exact same time bc Ron has worked with Jack to install the defense and has sat by and defended Jack for the 4th year in a row while our D based on talent has underperformed the first month of the season every year they’ve been here.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unless E.B. shows you that it would be a huge mistake* NOT to keep him in some capacity, I'm on this same wavelength. 

*If we somehow became a top 5 offense and were looking like a powerhouse, I'd keep him. 

You can’t pull another version of Jim Zorn in this organization.  If EB proves enough that he’s in the conversation as head coach, then you do just that.  If EB isn’t the choice at the end of that process, then you give the new HC the decision on whether or not he is the choice as OC.  

Look at how it worked out for Jerruh, hiring an offensive minded coach in Mike McCarthy, and then forcing him to keep Kellen Moore.  

• Like 2