Cleansing Packers 2024 Mock Off-Season

Packerraymond

A few little nitpicks, just for fun.

-I'm not a fan of the restructures of Jaire, Kenny, and Elgton. Kenny is going into the last year of his deal and already has a $14M dead cap waiting. As this team moves on, I'd like to see them move toward their flat cap, minimal dead cap approach that was used to manage the roster during the Favre/Rodgers years. 

- Not really a fan of keeping Jones, signing Gibson, and spending a top 100 pick on an RB. Really feels like over investment. Is Gibson really an upgrade from AJ Dillon? Feels like a somewhat arbitrary way to spend $4M.

-Not sure I want Savage back, but the deal isn't prohibitive. 

Again, nothing major in terms of criticism. If I put on my "what I think Gute actually does" hat, it's probably something like this draft, with minimal restructures and a two less free agents. 

One thing I'd like to poke your brain about: When you mention the Bakh coming back on a cheap deal, please elaborate what that looks like. What would he sign for? You obviously still need to draft a tackle in the draft, so would you put that guy on the right side and kick Tom inside? It's probably a moot point, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

-I'm not a fan of the restructures of Jaire, Kenny, and Elgton. Kenny is going into the last year of his deal and already has a $14M dead cap waiting. As this team moves on, I'd like to see them move toward their flat cap, minimal dead cap approach that was used to manage the roster during the Favre/Rodgers years. 

- Not really a fan of keeping Jones, signing Gibson, and spending a top 100 pick on an RB. Really feels like over investment. Is Gibson really an upgrade from AJ Dillon? Feels like a somewhat arbitrary way to spend $4M.

Again, nothing major in terms of criticism. If I put on my "what I think Gute actually does" hat, it's probably something like this draft, with minimal restructures and a two less free agents. 

One thing I'd like to poke your brain about: When you mention the Bakh coming back on a cheap deal, please elaborate what that looks like. What would he sign for? You obviously still need to draft a tackle in the draft, so would you put that guy on the right side and kick Tom inside? It's probably a moot point, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Antonio Gibson absolutely is an upgrade over Dillon. He's one of the best receiving backs in the game and has a lot of speed that we could use at the RB position. 

I want to see Savage with an actual competent DC. I still feel like there's a good player in there

5 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Antonio Gibson absolutely is an upgrade over Dillon. He's one of the best receiving backs in the game and has a lot of speed that we could use at the RB position. 

I want to see Savage with an actual competent DC. I still feel like there's a good player in there

I'll grant you that Gibson has better production overall, but over his career he averages 4.1 ypc and 7.3 ypr. Dillon averages 4.2 ypc and 8.4 ypr.  Gibson has more TDs (26 vs 16) and first downs (181 vs 140), but I'd argue some of that has been because of workload splits. Overall, I'm just not sold that he's a clear upgrade from Dillon. I'd argue his talents overlap with Jones, relegating him to a backup. But for $4M, I wouldn't lose my mind. I'm becoming convinced that RB might be the best place to shop for cheap backups.

You do bring up a good point about Savage. Do you think his regression is tied directly to Barry?

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'll grant you that Gibson has better production overall, but over his career he averages 4.1 ypc and 7.3 ypr. Dillon averages 4.2 ypc and 8.4 ypr.  Gibson has more TDs (26 vs 16) and first downs (181 vs 140), but I'd argue some of that has been because of workload splits. Overall, I'm just not sold that he's a clear upgrade from Dillon. I'd argue his talents overlap with Jones, relegating him to a backup. But for $4M, I wouldn't lose my mind. I'm becoming convinced that RB might be the best place to shop for cheap backups.

You do bring up a good point about Savage. Do you think his regression is tied directly to Barry?

I'm from Maryland, see username, so I watch a good bit of Redskins football games. Gibson found his way into Rivera's dog house and has been criminally misused. I look at Gibson as more of a weapon than a strict RB. He's a WR convert who if he finds himself a creative OC that can get him in space, is a dangerous addition to any offense.

I think you use Savage close to the line like how Arizona uses Buddha. He's a heat seeking missile when he can keep things in front of him. If we sign Jim Leonard, Saleh or another top DC in the offseason, I give him a 1 year prove it deal. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Yes! Also, starting to question your talent evaluation as you were thinking Kenny Clark isn't playing good football. Kenny Clark is playing exceptionally good football and Dillon is terrible. 

Bak ain't coming back. That is wishful thinking on OP's part. 

17 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I'm from Maryland, see username, so I watch a good bit of Redskins football games. Gibson found his way into Rivera's dog house and has been criminally misused. I look at Gibson as more of a weapon than a strict RB. He's a WR convert who if he finds himself a creative OC that can get him in space, is a dangerous addition to any offense.

I think you use Savage close to the line like how Arizona uses Buddha. He's a heat seeking missile when he can keep things in front of him. If we sign Jim Leonard, Saleh or another top DC in the offseason, I give him a 1 year prove it deal. 

Sorry, I'm not from Maryland. Username was just kinda made up from a high school thing (dang, i've been hanging out on this site for a long time)

But yeah, I can get on board with two cheap signings with upside. My only issue is that you'd still have two RBs coming off their deals at the same time, but not a big deal.

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yes! Also, starting to question your talent evaluation as you were thinking Kenny Clark isn't playing good football. Kenny Clark is playing exceptionally good football and Dillon is terrible. 

Bak ain't coming back. That is wishful thinking on OP's part. 

Sorry, I may have misread, but I agree that Clark is playing good football. I'm just opposed to pushing out veteran cap hits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Letting you be the only source for DeJean mocks. 

I’m going to make the same comment for every single mock draft I comment in.

There is no way that dude busts in the NFL. His floor is a special teams all pro.

Edited by MacReady
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Norm said:

I had to watch Iowa Saturday and all I thought about was how much you love that guy every time they showed him lol. I'm on board too fwiw

This is the closest I’ve come to watching college football.

I will never forget that play. Watching LVN highlights and his pick six was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life of football.

It reminds me of the pick six by Darren Sharper that got me into football in the first place.

I will literally cry if the Packers don’t draft him and if they do also.

• Like 1