In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I saw that too. I still think he's kinda blackballed by NFL owners because of his lawsuit against...NFL owners.

That said, do we know if the Vikings will get 2 3rd round comp picks for him? The only reason why he would not qualify is because he's already been a head coach?

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

That said, do we know if the Vikings will get 2 3rd round comp picks for him? The only reason why he would not qualify is because he's already been a head coach?

I’ve never seen any stipulation that says he doesn’t qualify as a former head coach. All I’ve ever seen is that a candidate needs to have been with the club for a minimum of two seasons. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve never seen any stipulation that says he doesn’t qualify as a former head coach. All I’ve ever seen is that a candidate needs to have been with the club for a minimum of two seasons. 

Yep, I re-read it again and it does not. Here it is for others to see:

1. Quote

1. The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
      • Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. [1]
      • If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.
    2. The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
      • The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
      • The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm glad Flores is still here and I think he'll improve the defense even more in year 2! 

Admittedly, I didn't make the connection right away regarding Jerrod Johnson and the compensatory picks.

Is anyone aware of any updates regarding Flores' case?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Admittedly, I didn't make the connection right away regarding Jerrod Johnson and the compensatory picks.

Is anyone aware of any updates regarding Flores' case?

Nope.  The only thing I've heard recently is the progression of the Gruden case, but that's it. 

• Like 1

Whether or not the defense does well is probably not going to be the determining factor for whether or not Flores ever gets another head coaching job. 

After what happened in Miami, Flores needs an owner and GM to believe that he can relate to, and lead, an entire team. Not just the defensive players. He needs to convince people that he can build a relationship with the team’s QB. In regards to how Flores handled Tua Tagovailoa, and then how Tua became an MVP candidate almost immediately after the coaching change would be a big red flag, in my opinion, for hiring Flores as a head coach. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Whether or not the defense does well is probably not going to be the determining factor for whether or not Flores ever gets another head coaching job. 

After what happened in Miami, Flores needs an owner and GM to believe that he can relate to, and lead, an entire team. Not just the defensive players. He needs to convince people that he can build a relationship with the team’s QB. In regards to how Flores handled Tua Tagovailoa, and then how Tua became an MVP candidate almost immediately after the coaching change would be a big red flag, in my opinion, for hiring Flores as a head coach. 

It didn't help that in his first full season with Tua as the starter, Tua spent a good portion of the season injured or playing while injured. And I always question how much of the "communication" issues was real or was it overblown. Is Flores a touchy-feely, rah-rah, kind of supportive coach? No. But, he's not Zimmer either. It may have not ended being a good match between him and Tua on a personality level, but I also question on how much of Tua's "improvement" was based on the fact that he now has Tyreek Hill to throw to and not DeVante Parker and an improved offensive line which now has Terron Armstead starting at LT instead of Austin Jackson. Flores certainly had issues, but I'm not sure that he was nothing more than a scapegoat for the owner's issues, who clearly has been meddlesome.

• Like 1