In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Make Flores the highest paid coordinator in the NFL, and let him know that the Vikings will take care of him until the right head coaching opportunity opens up for him. 

I'm curious what the right head coaching opportunity is but I'm not convinced it's out there this season so I'm hopeful we can keep him another season. 

I'm not sure how much bad blood is between him and the Patriots organization but if they move on from Bill, I think he'd be open to going there but can't see any other openings this year where there'd be mutual interest. 

• Like 2

as far as Flores getting a HC position next season, he's behind a couple of eight balls.

his lawsuit needs to resolve itself before billionaires will risk something similar happening to them also, and it does seem like the present trend is to hire flashy, young, offensive minded coaches.

Looking at likely head coaching options

Carolina - not likely he'd want to go there.  No first round pick, struggling young QB, meddling owner
Vegas - maybe, but not sure it's an attractive landing place in terms of personnel or ownership
LAC - might be the most attractive of the bunch; some great defensive cornerstones, and a younger veteran QB; they currently have (although I suspect he'll be gone) a defensive coach and teams tend to swing the other direction after a firing.
New England - go back home, but likely starting over at QB... do they go the young offensive mind route after Belichick?
Washington - currently have an older defensive focused coach, pendulum tends to swing the other way...
Tennessee - see LAC and Washington rationale

As well as he's performed, I would not be shocked to see him go the Dan Quinn route and stay in place, continue to build a great resume, and choose his landing spot.  If they come open this cycle, I'd say only the Chargers and Patriots would be enticing for him.  Him leaving is not a foregone conclusion.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Looking at likely head coaching options

I'd say only the Chargers and Patriots would be enticing for him.  Him leaving is not a foregone conclusion.

first of all, very interesting analyses there, coach.

all the talk, for what it's worth, about the Patriots next coach tend to point toward former players (Mayo, Vrabel).

Edited by vike daddy

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

first of all, very interesting analyses there. coach.

all the talk, for what it's worth, about the Patriots next coach tend to point toward former players (Mayo, Vrabel).

Who themselves are both former defensive players.  We'll have to see what Kraft ends up doing.  Does he stick with basically the same type of regime (although probably significantly more personable) or does he blow it up completely and start over, like he tried to do when he hired Pete Carroll, but ultimately went back to the Parcells well in "trading for" Belichick. 

With how it's soured since Brady's departure, I wouldn't be surprised to see him just completely start over and not just promote a guy like Mayo.  Just do a complete break from the entrenched system.  

Edited by swede700

As of this morning, stats support a lot of what I've been feeling about the D.  Sure, a shutout helps a bunch in PPG allowed stats.  Being 5th against the run and 14th against the pass gives us a 10th spot on overall yards allowed.

More importantly, we've given up the 4th fewest 1st downs and the fewest 1st downs by defensive penalty (10).  Even though the rate of stops on 3rd and 4th down isn't great, situationally, Flores' D excels.  

Being 12th in takeaways and 13th in sacks are respectable numbers.  🤞both stats continue to improve these last 4 games. 

Should the offense keep from turning it over, they will hopefully keep the defense rested and hungry.

• Like 1