2023 Week # 5 Steelers Vs. Ravens GDT Thread

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Steelers Bounce Back Against the Ravens?

• Yes. They will somehow get it right and win a close one.
    • No. They have to many internal problems to beat a slid Ravens Team.
    • I Have no clue? This team is so up and down. who knows?

I did review every play by Broderick Jones and he did ok. I'll post a little more in depth review later. There were ups and downs. 

I did not make notes on JPJ but every play I did watch looked pretty good to me with little complaint actually. I saw some boob for lack of a better term ragging on him as if he was garbage on Matt Williamson's youtube podcast last night. Im quite confident that the guy was mistaking him for Sullivan. Theres really no way you can come away with JPJ having anything other than primarily positive reps thus far.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Like the last few years this is overachieving tbh

I agree.

We either eek out wins vs crappy teams or fall back @sswards in to wins like we did yesterday.

This has felt like a sub .500 team since 2019.   At times in 2020 it looked like a playoff team....until teams figured out the only thing Ben could and really WANTED to do anymore is throw short passes.   The last 6 games of 2020, we were a bad team too....and it hasn't gotten better since.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I only have to imagine this is what it was like to watch Greene and Lloyd together. I thought Woodley and Deebo were special, but TJ and Highsmith are looking elite. 

TJ and Alex have their way of playing and the passrush is their strength. Harrison and Woodley were comparable in passrush (stats not as high though) but a step up in the run defence - they really set the edge and Harrison took over big games.   The  3 different tandems were from 3 different eras and had made their mark at the time.  Staying together and healthy is always the challenge. So far TJ and Alex are healthy and have a few years to go since they are both under contract.  So it would appear a few more years of this is possible, fingers crossed of course since injuries can happen anytime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I only have to imagine this is what it was like to watch Greene and Lloyd together. I thought Woodley and Deebo were special, but TJ and Highsmith are looking elite. 

It might seem funny, but those late 80s/early 90 defenses were so good that I, and Im pretty sure everybody else, were more comfortable about winning when our defense was on the field....sounds kind of similar ..:)  However as those defenses went on they were absolutely lights out. Winning 13-6 was extremely common but you didnt really feel like you were as close to anywhere near jeopardy with those teams unless the offense screwed up and crazily they didnt have a qb they could remotely rely on until O'Donnell came a long and of course the Super Bowl happened . Bubby was gritty like Duck Hodges gritty. :) 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’m honestly flabbergasted you think this team is talented enough to make it past the first round of the playoffs since 2020. 

I’m not saying the team is talented…I disagreed with you saying the team overachieved.

27 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’m not saying the team is talented…I disagreed with you saying the team overachieved.

Depends how you look at it.

From a pure record standpoint, we have most certainly overachieved.     We should absolutely be 1-4 right now.    If Chubb stays healthy vs Cleveland and the Ravens could catch the damn ball at all, not only are we 1-4, but a very ugly 1-4, as we probably wouldve lost both of those games by 10+ points.   

I dont think this team is quite as grossly undertalented as some on here argue, but we are certainly lacking at some very key areas.      Our coaching staff is also every bit as mediocre as our talent IMO.    

I think its a combination of a) few very good players on defense, b) the occasional 2 or 3 drives a game where our offense looks close to an actual NFL caliber offense, c) terrible/stupid play by other teams and d) flat out luck that have had us winning these games since last year.     

Bottom line, there is alot of mediocrity in the NFL, and we fall into that fray, regardless of how we classify particular wins and losses.      I think this team could conceivably reach the playoffs, but not because we are good, but because there are probably only 6 to 8 teams that truly look like good teams, and rest are just average or worse.     

This season so far is kind of a perfect summary for what we actually are, and have been for several years.    We will be decimated by most truly good teams (49ers), and on any given week, we could just not show up and get blown out by one of the average teams (Texans).    However, occasionally, we'll legit beat a mediocre or bad teams (Raiders), or eek out a lucky win vs another merely good or middle of the road team (Baltimore, Cleveland).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 43M said:

Depends how you look at it.

From a pure record standpoint, we have most certainly overachieved.     We should absolutely be 1-4 right now.    If Chubb stays healthy vs Cleveland and the Ravens could catch the damn ball at all, not only are we 1-4, but a very ugly 1-4, as we probably wouldve lost both of those games by 10+ points.   

I dont think this team is quite as grossly undertalented as some on here argue, but we are certainly lacking at some very key areas.      Our coaching staff is also every bit as mediocre as our talent IMO.    

I think its a combination of a) few very good players on defense, b) the occasional 2 or 3 drives a game where our offense looks close to an actual NFL caliber offense, c) terrible/stupid play by other teams and d) flat out luck that have had us winning these games since last year.     

Bottom line, there is alot of mediocrity in the NFL, and we fall into that fray, regardless of how we classify particular wins and losses.      I think this team could conceivably reach the playoffs, but not because we are good, but because there are probably only 6 to 8 teams that truly look like good teams, and rest are just average or worse.     

This season so far is kind of a perfect summary for what we actually are, and have been for several years.    We will be decimated by most truly good teams (49ers), and on any given week, we could just not show up and get blown out by one of the average teams (Texans).    However, occasionally, we'll legit beat a mediocre or bad teams (Raiders), or eek out a lucky win vs another merely good or middle of the road team (Baltimore, Cleveland).

I’m speaking of past years…not this year.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Yup. And that’s been kind of the talent of this team since about 2020. An OL just good enough to beat the ok defensive fronts, randomly suck one week, and looks lost against good defensive fronts. MLBs that could look decent one week, bad the next. (Really random aside but did you see Spillaines INT last night? Looked like he blew his zone and Love threw it right to him as a result)

The talent of this team is that of a 6-11 to 9-8 team. It’s a run game that spudders because of play calling, but isn’t good enough to flat out dominate with the right calls. No true WR1, but is good enough with the right play calls that they can do some damage. A TE-1 who can’t block with a TE2 who we don’t send on routes. A QB that’s that “just good enough”.

And this isn’t even getting to the defense. Heck even with the right playcalling this offense is likely a 23 PPG type offense which still means you are relying on the defense to keep opposing teams to 22ppg. 

IIRC it was Chris Long who said yesterday that were that team you don’t want to let hang around because we’re not better than you but we’ll find a way to beat you. 

More basic stats as to why tweets like this just make me laugh:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1711676972102046185?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Najee - 1.9 yards before contact, 128 yards after contact total, 2.0 yards after contact average, 8 broken tackles, 7.9 rushes per broken tackle. 

Warren - 2.6 yards before contact, 36 yards after contact total, 1.1 yards after contact average, 2 broken tackles, 17.0 rushes per broken tackle. 

It’s like news outlets near us don’t know how to do basic research for these articles. Awkwardly, pass catching is the same where Warrens average separation is triple Najee’s, partially due to the near 6 yard difference in depth of target (+3.8 for Najee, -1.4 for Warren).