Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Welp, gauntlet has been thrown down.

Man, I think folks forget that Kyle turned a rookie Deebo, some junk, a half season of Emmanuel Sanders, and a pretty good offensive line into a top 10 offensive unit. If Kyle's here and Brock's here with an average set of tools, they'll do impressive things. That may or may not mean that Brock could earn the monster contract if he had different circumstances. But I'm almost certain that it will mean that we'll still be a dangerous team as long as we can reload the defense a bit and retain Brock and Kyle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Man, I think folks forget that Kyle turned a rookie Deebo, some junk, a half season of Emmanuel Sanders, and a pretty good offensive line into a top 10 offensive unit. If Kyle's here and Brock's here with an average set of tools, they'll do impressive things. That may or may not mean that Brock could earn the monster contract if he had different circumstances. But I'm almost certain that it will mean that we'll still be a dangerous team as long as we can reload the defense a bit and retain Brock and Kyle.

Probably. It's just that the "Purdy needs the Avengers" narrative will never die. Even if Purdy plays beyond the boundaries of imagination the next few games. He's locked in as a puppet of Shanahan for some folks. Oh well.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Probably. It's just that the "Purdy needs the Avengers" narrative will never die. Even if Purdy plays beyond the boundaries of imagination the next few games. He's locked in as a puppet of Shanahan for some folks. Oh well.

I don't even mean this as a gigantic endorsement of Purdy - but like we made the Jimmy G top contract work and he's just flat worse than Purdy. The big concern is that Kyle gets into a bustup with management while we have Brock on a top, top contract. That could be really bad if Purdy is the guy that many folks think he is. (Note: I don't quite think so. I'm higher on Purdy than the median. I think that he's in the 2nd tier of dudes that are good franchise qbs that won't carry you over the line without a championship roster; that's a good chunk of franchise qbs. Without Kyle, we wouldn't be championship contenders, but I think we'd still be a playoffy franchise as long as the coaching wasn't actually bad).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

That was the one year where Jimmy was really solid. Not great but he was a good regular season QB and ran the offense well with not a stacked roster or anything. Heck, Jimmy got it done with two back up tackles for a stretch. 

Purdy will need to be able to take over when he does not have all his weapons. Nothing wrong with expecting that from him, especially when he will be making 60M+. The teams that fail when a QB gets paid big are the ones that have a QB that is just good when he has the right supporting cast. Purdy will need to be more than that and I think he will show that in the next 4-5 weeks. All I ask for Kyle is a prototypical passing offense and not trying to get too cute. Adjust as you have a QB that can dropback without having the need to have something special called to be effective. 

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

Double edged sword. It's also why the people who don't buy into Purdy have a legitimate case lol. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ah, you already beat me to it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Double edged sword. It's also why the people who don't buy into Purdy have a legitimate case lol. 

Oh, I agree that Kyle's proven value to an offense provides a platform for a case that I rationally understand. I tend to disagree a touch for reasons touched upon previously, but that doesn't mean that I don't find most (most) such arguments to at least be good enough for reasonable people to disagree on. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brock's career was rather swingy Kurt Warner style. But I also have liked more of what I've seen over being taken through a couple of years of tape than I'd ever expected to. And there are other, slightly more complex metrics that clarify for me at least how much more Brock does for the offense than Jimmy did. But all of this is ground that we've covered a lot. And I think we both understand the points made by the other person without necessarily agreeing with all of them lol.

As one of Brock's biggest supporters, he hasn't played great these first two games.

I feel like he's hunting the bigger gains instead of being smart and efficient until those moments are there for the taking.

Seems like he's pressing the issue just a tad.

Need him to get back on his square and relax a bit.

He doesn't need to be the savior of the offense now that we're hit with a few injuries.

Just needs to play his game and not overthink it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

As one of Brock's biggest supporters, he hasn't played great these first two games.

I feel like he's hunting the bigger gains instead of being smart and efficient until those moments are there for the taking.

Seems like he's pressing the issue just a tad.

Need him to get back on his square and relax a bit.

He doesn't need to be the savior of the offense now that we're hit with a few injuries.

Just needs to play his game and not overthink it.

I'll say that I've never been more impressed by his arm strength and ability to make difficult throws. But as you say some of the mental stuff requires some recalibration. And that end is the pointy end and it's shakier than I've seen in a while.