Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Cleveland Browns

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

That Detroit team doesn't really scare me. A good team that's ascending, no doubt. But neither Goff nor that defense has me worried if they were indeed, the #1 seed.

It'd be great to get the bye, but I never really look at that as an attainable goal for this team. We're such a physical team, on both sides of the ball. Several of our difference makers on offense (Deebo, Juice, CMC, Kittle) play with high physicality engrained into their skillset. Injuries are bound to happen to those types of players. 

And missing talent will play a factor in a couple of losses, here and there in any given season.

I will always be more concerned about being as healthy as possible to start the playoffs than getting caught up in trying to be the #1 seed and obtaining the bye. 

It would be nice, but I don't know how realistic of a goal that is for this team considering how we play the game.

The niners are a good team. No team should really "scare" us. Well, maybe the Chiefs. 

I think you should take the lions for real though, especially if they are the #1 seed. One of the best and most balanced teams in the league. If they aren't in the same tier as the niners, they are pretty close. 

I'm not sure how well they matchup with the niners - may come down to where the bigger gap is. The lions offensive line shutting down the 49ers defensive pass rush or Shanny exploiting the middle intermediate portion of the field. I think it's a lot to ask Brian Branch and those linebackers not to get put in a spin cycle. The range of outcomes on Goff is fairly wide. He could play great, could play poorly. His track record against the niners isn't great though. 

Shanahan was very frustrating. He just was so intent on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole yesterday. Schwartz was taking the middle away and Shanahan insisted on forcing it. Really disappointing that he didn't scheme up balls for Kittle. Just a lot left to be desired with his process. Brock looked like he was seeing the pressure more than normal for the first time and I would guess his mechanics were all over the place. Either way this game doesn't hurt in the long run due to the loss by the Eagles etc. Still nice to see Brock was able to check the box of trailing and driving the team down for the would be winning score.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, I wouldn't feel sorry for the Vikings....We need to get healthy for one and the Vikings are playing better ball. They will be ready.

Shanny needs to just adjust against aggressive, attacking defenses. Schwartz defense runs a wide-9 and always brings an extra defender in the box. Shanny needed to just have Purdy drop back with three WR sets and go to work that way. Purdy got going in the last drive with Shanny not doing anything special or getting creative. Flat out spread the Browns out an let Purdy do what he does best and that is dissect the defense and deliver to the open man. Those long developing plays does no good against this defense. I have no idea why it takes him so long to adjust and how he can't figure out why he always struggles against Schwartz's defenses. 

I think it is a bit of Kyle's ego. I don't think he feels like he can be stopped. He may also be a big time planner, which what we have heard is the case. Planner's will create an entire plan and when the plan doesn't go as planned, it takes them a while to get out of the state of paralysis and create a secondary plan. I know this because I used to be a very planned out, structured person. I would literally talk through the plan in my head and then out loud. My Wife, not a planner, would always give me grief about it because if something would interject itself into my plan I couldn't recover and almost would shut down or just not do/partake in the new part. I had to make massive adjustments to my process while still holding onto my need to have some structure. A Lot of Coaches, like myself believe in preparedness, but there is a fine line to the balance. I think that is Shanahan.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If you are not afraid of the Lions going 14-3, then there is a good chance that no other team goes 14-3 either. The Eagles WILL lose games. They aren't a super impressive team or a super dominant team. They are dealing with some injuries and they have a brutal schedule coming up.

If we win the next two games, we will be in great position to get the #1 seed. 

The #1 seed would be great in terms of getting out of the NFC but then they have to worry about the AFC representative as the Bills & Chiefs are the two main suspects whom present a challenge due the opposing QB's mobility & arm strength. I also fear the Ravens and thus would prefer the Dolphins b/c I think the Niners defense has a better chance of defending Tua as opposed to Mahomes, Allen & Lamar.

Basically the only games that I see the Niners being underdogs in are the regular road game in Philly, a possible return encounter in Philly if they don't get homefield and in the SB against the Bills or Chiefs. All other games Niners should be the favorites with the exception of maybe the road game in Seattle but that depends on where the Hawks are in the standings at that time.

11 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The #1 seed would be great in terms of getting out of the NFC but then they have to worry about the AFC representative as the Bills & Chiefs are the two main suspects whom present a challenge due the opposing QB's mobility & arm strength. I also fear the Ravens and thus would prefer the Dolphins b/c I think the Niners defense has a better chance of defending Tua as opposed to Mahomes, Allen & Lamar.

Basically the only games that I see the Niners being underdogs in are the regular road game in Philly, a possible return encounter in Philly if they don't get homefield and in the SB against the Bills or Chiefs. All other games Niners should be the favorites with the exception of maybe the road game in Seattle but that depends on where the Hawks are in the standings at that time.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the Bills and I doubt they get to the SB. The Chiefs will always be a concern because of Reid and Mahomes. We can go 17-0 and that's a game we will still be nervous playing.

I still haven't seen a team better than ours thus far in the season. Health is the most important thing. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the Bills and I doubt they get to the SB. The Chiefs will always be a concern because of Reid and Mahomes. We can go 17-0 and that's a game we will still be nervous playing.

I still haven't seen a team better than ours thus far in the season. Health is the most important thing. 

The only two reasons why I fear the Bills are that Josh Allen can be sometimes more dangerous than Mahomes and the Bills defense sacks the QB well even though they have issues in the run game & pass coverage game.

The Niners are good and I would suspect if they get beat in the playoffs it would be to a team like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills as opposed to being upset by a lower seeded team whom barely qualifies for the playoffs. Last year the only team in the NFC the Niners couldn't beat was the Eagles and in the AFC I'd say Chiefs & Bills. But the Niners exceeded expectations last year and losing to the Eagles didn't hurt as opposed to this year if they lost in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, NFL Network said:

The only two reasons why I fear the Bills are that Josh Allen can be sometimes more dangerous than Mahomes and the Bills defense sacks the QB well even though they have issues in the run game & pass coverage game.

The Niners are good and I would suspect if they get beat in the playoffs it would be to a team like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills as opposed to being upset by a lower seeded team whom barely qualifies for the playoffs. Last year the only team in the NFC the Niners couldn't beat was the Eagles and in the AFC I'd say Chiefs & Bills. But the Niners exceeded expectations last year and losing to the Eagles didn't hurt as opposed to this year if they lost in the playoffs. 

Bills have a lot of issues and aren't exactly lighting it up offensively even with Allen making superhuman plays.

We will be fine. 

Minnesota is a key game. I think the team will be very flat the following week and Burrow seems to be getting healthier and they should be dangerous in week 8, so I think there's a real chance of a loss there. Don't want to be 5-3 after that week, so this Minnesota game will be big. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Minnesota is a key game. I think the team will be very flat the following week and Burrow seems to be getting healthier and they should be dangerous in week 8, so I think there's a real chance of a loss there. Don't want to be 5-3 after that week, so this Minnesota game will be big. 

Burrow looked buck average yesterday but some of it was due to the Seahawk improved secondary. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Burrow looked buck average yesterday but some of it was due to the Seahawk improved secondary. 

Seahawks defense is okay, and burrow being average is trending the right way for them. He's getting better. Two straight weeks of him not being a disaster 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The niners are a good team. No team should really "scare" us. Well, maybe the Chiefs. 

I think you should take the lions for real though, especially if they are the #1 seed. One of the best and most balanced teams in the league. If they aren't in the same tier as the niners, they are pretty close. 

I'm not sure how well they matchup with the niners - may come down to where the bigger gap is. The lions offensive line shutting down the 49ers defensive pass rush or Shanny exploiting the middle intermediate portion of the field. I think it's a lot to ask Brian Branch and those linebackers not to get put in a spin cycle. The range of outcomes on Goff is fairly wide. He could play great, could play poorly. His track record against the niners isn't great though. 

I get what you're saying.

But in a dome, all things considered, I like our chances...alot.

Especially if the alternative is going to Philly in late December for a SB berth.

I just think offensively, aside from their line being able to negate our rush some, there isn't really much they're to be overly concerned with. You can be aggressive against Goff, move him off his spot and he'll start to get erratic. 

Their defense is stout but like you said, it's the intermediate area and their LBs which could give us huge opportunities.

Most importantly for me though right now, yesterday proved that Purdy is vulnerable when playing in the elements.

That is my biggest worry, later in the season, on the road.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Seahawks defense is okay, and burrow being average is trending the right way for them. He's getting better. Two straight weeks of him not being a disaster 

Don't get me wrong, he may be getting healthier but yesterday was not a good performance by him. Was watching while the Niners game was going on and he is still struggling making certain throws. It's just going to be this way for the rest of the season it seems like. What is a concern in that game is that defense though...Very stout, especially in the RZ. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Assuming Debo & CMC go they should beat the Vikings without Justin Jefferson. Also Kirk Cousins is easy to sack when they get near him. Only thing is it's on the road but should be ok.

As for the Bengals well they can be scary but I fear the Ravens out of that division more than the Bengals.

• Like 1

Just now, NFL Network said:

Assuming Debo & CMC go they should beat the Vikings without Justin Jefferson. Also Kirk Cousins is easy to sack when they get near him. Only thing is it's on the road but should be ok.

As for the Bengals well they can be scary but I fear the Ravens out of that division more than the Bengals.

I have to hear about the injuries first. I think CMC is a trickier thing because that appears to be a muscle issue, which means we may not have a clear answer until much closer to the game. I do expect Deebo to go, but I expect Trent to sit. 

• Like 1