State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't think anyone is expecting him to come out the gates looking amazing or anything, but I struggle to see how his floor can be so low. Cutler was a good to very good NFL qb that played a long time...top 10 on his best day for sure. But straight up and down, I just struggle to see a world in which Levis isn't a good to very good NFL qb assuming he continues working his tail off and stays healthy.

I'm a lot higher on Levis than when I was when he was drafted and it was doomsday.  But, there are still a lot of things to work on: decision-making, feeling pressure, and consistent accuracy being the ones that stick out.  The first usually comes with time and decent coaching, and the second can be mitigated by good OL play, but the third usually doesn't improve drastically in the NFL.

And then there's just the fact that Cutler was a successful NFL QB.  Any prospect whose floor was that high would be a surefire top 3 lock and a borderline blue chip.  Lots of QBs just fail, and there's still a non-zero chance that Levis does.  I mean, he had as many 0 TD games as he had games with any TDs, and overall, had more turnovers than TDs.

He's still a pretty unknown factor, and while there's every reason for optimism, I don't think there's any reason to think he's anything close to a sure thing.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think yall need to pump the breaks on Levis's floor being Jay Cutler.  His floor is a lot, lot lower than that, and you're likely just setting yourselves up to be prematurely disappointed when there are inevitable struggles.

But I'm optimistic.  He's shown some flashes, and the Titans did a lot of work to put him in a position to succeed.  Callahan, I think, legitimately believes in Levis or he wouldn't have been very interested in the Titans' job, or wouldn't have done work with Carthon to build around Levis.

But there's still a lot Levis needs to work on.  He's a very inexperienced QB starting with a new offensive system and an entirely different offensive philosophy than he had as a rookie, and he's got what looks like a very tough schedule in the beginning of the season.

I'll be surprised if Levis looks great out the gate.  Too much needs to go right, quickly, for that to happen.  I'm optimistic he'll be looking good by the season's end.

I don't think we are saying we expect him to come out blazing, perfect or MVP level. Long run I don't see why expectations for him can't be optimistically reasonable. 

I think if he stays healthy, I could see 3,000 yard passer with 25ish TDs maybe 10-11 INTs.  Mac Jones Rookie Year like. 

Today's NFL that's pretty average.

I think Jay Cutler like is beyond attainable in today's NFL.  In his 12 year career, he only threw single digit INTs' 3 times, consistently had bad footwork, was a poor leader, and wasn't really liked by his teammates all the time. Had some huge individual games and great throws. If that kind of career is all that was expected of Levis, I'd say that could be him today. 

But he seems to be liked by teammates, willing to work and has a better coaching environment opposed to Josh McDaniels with Cutler. 

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm a lot higher on Levis than when I was when he was drafted and it was doomsday.  But, there are still a lot of things to work on: decision-making, feeling pressure, and consistent accuracy being the ones that stick out.  The first usually comes with time and decent coaching, and the second can be mitigated by good OL play, but the third usually doesn't improve drastically in the NFL.

And then there's just the fact that Cutler was a successful NFL QB.  Any prospect whose floor was that high would be a surefire top 3 lock and a borderline blue chip.  Lots of QBs just fail, and there's still a non-zero chance that Levis does.  I mean, he had as many 0 TD games as he had games with any TDs, and overall, had more turnovers than TDs.

He's still a pretty unknown factor, and while there's every reason for optimism, I don't think there's any reason to think he's anything close to a sure thing.

I think a deeper dive into Cutler's career might help paint a better picture. Only 2 winning seasons as a QB. One pro-bowl. Only played a full season 3 times.  Never threw for more than 28 TDs.  Was close to 20 INTs 4 times and threw 26 INTs one year. 
That's Jamies Winston level play. 

I'm not going to say he is a sure thing. I have a very hard criteria to be "the man" at QB in the NFL. 

But I personally think his likelihood to be a good NFL QB is higher than a failure at this point. 

But I think Cutler it brought up not because we really want that for his career, but kinda like stated, he was able to have a long career despite his obvious flaws. Almost based on arm talent alone.  

Pair arm talent with a drive to be good and what looks to be good coaching then it brings optimism for some.