BDL 2023 Week 7: Seoul Dragons @ Hungary Hippos

MD4L

Who Wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Seoul Dragons
    • Hungary Hippos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/26/2023 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2023 Week 7

Match:  Seoul Dragons @ Hungary Hippos

Away Owner:  @RedGold

Home Owner:  @PR @InjuredReserve

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Offense

QB:  Derek Carr
RB:   Kenneth Walker
WR: George Pickens
WR:  Allen Lazard
WR: Brandin Cooks
TE:   Travis Kelce
LT:   Ronnie Stanley
LG:  Joe Thuney
😄    Mason Cole
RG: Tytus Howard
RT:  Dawand Jones

Bench:  QB Jameis Winston
Bench:  RB Dameon Pierce
Bench:  RB Javonte Williams
Bench:  WR Rashod Bateman
Bench:  TE Trey McBride
Bench:  T Donovan Smith
Bench:  T Anton Harrison
Bench:  G/C James Daniels

Defense
DE:  Dayo Odeyingbo
DL:  Dexter Lawrence
NT:  DJ Reader
Edge:  Charles Omenihu
MLB:  CJ Mosley
LB: Damone Clark
CB:  Trent McDuffie
CB:  Donte Jackson
NB: Kenny Moore
FS:  Daxton Hill
SS:  Kerby Joseph

Bench:  Edge Sam Williams
Bench:  Edge Derick Hall
Bench:  DL Khalen Saunders
Bench:  DL Foley Fatukasi
Bench: LB MarkqueseBell
Bench: CB Kyler Gordon
Bench: NB Taron Johnson
Bench: Saf Richie Grant

Hungary Hippos

QB: Jared Goff
RB: Brian Robinson
WR: DK Metcalf
WR: Tyler Lockett
WR: Calvin Austin
TE: TJ Hockenson
LT: Garrett Bolles
LG: Anthony Bradford

😄 Tyler Linderbaum
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: Brian O'Neill

Bench - Offense:

RB: Rachaad White
WR: Donovan Peoples Jones
WR: Terrace Marshall
TE: Daniel Bellinger
OL: Trent Brown
OL Walker Little
OL: Cesar Ruiz
OL: Matt Feiler

Edge: Maxx Crosby
DT: Fletcher Cox
DT: Calijah Kancey
Edge: Jadeveon Clowney

LB: Ivan Pace Jr.
LB: Zach Cunningham
CB: Jeff Okudah
NCB: Ahkello Witherspoon
FS: Russ Yeast
SS: Harrison Smith
CB: Juju Brents

Bench - Def:
Edge: Charles Harris
DT: Larry Ogunjobi
DT: Javon Kinlaw
DT: Sebastian Joseph-Day
LB: Nathan Landman
CB: Kei’Trel Clark

CB: Marcus Peters
S: DeMarco Hellams

Edited by MD4L

SEOUL

Offense:

Formation/Scheme: 

3WR/1TE(70%),  2RB/2WR(30%)
West Coast passing game, set up with zone rushing attack. 
Pass (50%), Run (50%)

Blocking:
Zone concepts in the rushing game,  trust our RB’s to hit cut back opportunities.  We trust our OT’s in pass pro this week and want to challenge them against the Hungary edge, we look for Cole to provide a double team on the interior from 3T position and look for interior blitzes.  

Passing game:

We look to use Kelce from the slot position more this week, while also using him in short motions to help with determine coverages.   Lazard will align from the slot often this week to help in the running game.  We look to attack Hungary over the middle of the field in the 10-15 yard areas with flood concepts, while attacking them deep on the outside with Cooks and Pickens.   We will run more screens this week to get our OL on the move and make this Hungary secondary get our RB’s on the ground.   Even when we aren’t running screens, we will look to hit our RB’s in the flat and let them use their excellent YAC abilities.  

Running game: 
Zone concepts again this week against Hungary,  we still love our OL’s ability to block on the move and our RB’s are excellent at finding cut back lanes.   We will look to attack Hungary inside and off tackle all game and want to make sure we stick to running the ball all game. 

Goal #1 -   Use our 3 backs in the running and passing game
Goal #2 -   Spread Hungary out,  work the mid passing game
Goal #3 -    Test outside CB’s deep

Defense:
Base: 4-2 Nickel

Coverage:
We will come out with many zone coverages this week,  running a mix of Cover 2,3, and 6 throughout.   We will look to mix in more man this week on 3rd Down.   Our secondary has been playing well this year and we look to challenge them this week to get off the field.    We will mix between Cover 2 and Cover 1 on 3rd down.    In cover 1 looks, we will look to send extra pressure up the middle with Daxton Hill patrolling the deep field.
Man assignments;

Trent McDuffie – Tyler Locket
Donte Jackson – DK Metcalf
Kenny Moore –  Calvin Austin/WR3
TJ Hockensen -  Kerby Joseph(Cover1) , Damon Clark(Cover2)
RB -  Damone Clark(Cover 1),  CJ Mosley(Cover2)

Pass Rush:
Push the pocket from the interior and have our Edges play disciplined with keeping Geno in the pocket.   While we may not have the stats in the sack department, we feel Geno really struggles with interior pressure and we want to make sure we keep him inside the pocket.   We believe even if we don’t get sacks this week,  we can force Geno into some costly mistakes by keeping him in a condensed pocket.

Run Defense:
Disciplined football from our front 4 and let our stack LB flow freely behind.   Where our DL lacks in pass rush department, we feel they are very stout in the running game.  

Goal#1:  Keep Geno inside a tight pocket.
Goal#2: Send extra pressure from the interior on 3rd down.
Goal#3:  Shade Daxton Hill to DK’s side in Cover 1 Man.

Hungary Hippos

Overview / Prologue:

“Imagine a land where people are afraid of dragons. It is a reasonable fear as dragons possess a number of qualities that make being afraid of them a commendable response. Things like their terrible size, their ability to spout fire, or to crack boulders into splinters with their massive talons. In fact, the only terrifying thing that dragons do not possess is that of existence.” (Book of Pages).

In Week 7 a Dragon stares down Hungary’s forces. Its knights steel themselves, resolute in their faith that the bark is worse than Seoul’s bite and that the last of the Dragon’s magic was expended in the conquest of Greenland.

Hungary will utilize a balanced offensive approach that is committed to pounding the rock, in order to set-up Jared Goff to gouge the defense with chunks of yardage off of play-action passes. Today the dragons are the hunted.

Offense:  

Ratio: Balanced (~ 50% pass and 50% run)

Playbook: West Coast Offense (w/ play action pass playing to Jared Goff’s strengths)

The Hippos offense will establish the run and stay committed to a balanced attack throughout the game. We will apply pressure and require Seoul to remain respect the run. The commitment to the run-game will set-up our passing game strategy of a heavy dose of play-action passes and screens to reduce the impact of blitz pressure.

Hungary goes with Jared Goff at QB1 and his strong season and elite decision making is going to lead Hungary this week in a consistent and effective offense attack. We play to Goff’s strengths with these main elements of our attack:

-        Play action: Goff has been prolific this year off of play-action and we will use this to take our shots this game and get chunks of yardage. This will play to Hockenson and Metcalf’s physicality, as well as Lockett and Austin’s speed and playmaking.

-        Screens: Quick screens will be mixed in to our RBs and WRs to set-up short 2nd and 3rd downs that we can convert with our rushing attack. RB plan to chip against the blitz and release if Seoul comes out with a blitz heavy defensive strategy.

-        Take our shots throughout the game: Put the ball in Goff’s hands and decision making to attack the Seoul secondary. We will be committed to the run and play-action all game. We use that to set-up big play opportunities.

In eyeing this match-up, we see a great game that will be a fight. A fight where we come in with the better QB/Commander. We look to take advantage, build a lead, and then get pressure on the Seoul offense with our DLine.

Defense:  

Base: Cover 2 Shell

Coming into this match-up against Seoul, we anticipate being able to apply pressure and contain the offense if plan appropriately for the run-game. As such, the Hungary Defensive Line deploys a 4 man rush strategy that is headlined by Maxx Crosby and is bolstered by a now healthy Calijah Kancey who early in his career is showing he is a QB pressure spark-plug.

Due to the running game being key for Seoul, our Interior D-line strategy deployment strategy is outlined below:

-        Early & Passing Downs: Fletcher Cox and Calijah Kancey (spelled by Javon Kinlaw) to generate QB pressures.

-        Short yardage situations (and rotationally for keep fresh DL in play): Larry Ogunjobi and Sebastian Joseph-Day to bring in our fresh interior lineman who are our superior run stuffers.

-        Mix in some blitzes (S/LB): Low frequency of 15-20% to add variety to the 4 man pass rush and to make their OL respect the threat. Primarily Harrison Smith in the blitzing role.

Our secondary continues to get their legs underneath them and has gone from an early season liability, to a respectable starting group of Jeff Okudah, Juju Brents, and Witherspoon that will be deployed in a mix of zone, press, and off man coverage through the game. The goal is to present a mix of looks to keep the Seoul offense facing different coverages. Our secondary, while by no means elite, can present challenges for Derek Carr and a Seoul team that is not sending an elite WR line-up against us.

-        Cover 4 looks will also be utilized when Seoul is in 4+ WR sets.

-        Travis Kelce cannot be taken out of the game and is going to be a factor in any game he plays. We will utilize Cunningham (LB) and mixed in Safety coverage to key in on Kelce for additional coverage on their key offensive weapon.

In this match-up, Hungary sees dragons to be slain, riches / rewards to be gained. Should we perish, why, is a loss not small thing to endure?

Edited by MD4L

Give me Seoul. With the base Cover 2 and sometimes man coverage of a LBer with some safety help on Kelce I see him eating. Carr isn’t Mahomes but with Pickens and also the run game with Walker Seoul heavily outmatches the skill position players of Hungary in this game with no DK. Hockenson is really the only Hungary player I see doing anything on offense. McDuffie locks up Lockett, I would have replaced DK with DPJ who at least had 22 receiving yards in his last game played while Marshall had 0, as did Calvin Austin in his last two. Stats aren’t everything when evaluating these games but when there is no consistency and very little production from players on the season I have to take it into account. Seoul also has Omenihu back who had a sack and a tipped pass for an INT upon his return to the Chiefs. He gives Seoul at least some edge rushing presence combined with the play of Dexter inside and an overall Dline built to stop the run I see Hungary struggling to run the ball. Without an established run game I see Goff struggling even if Seoul was expecting Geno their games aren’t dissimilar and the same strategy applies to both. I think the defensive front for Hungary can be a factor in this game I do however question the lack of including Will Anderson in the lineup, but I see Seoul taking this one with the overall better team performance. 

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Give me Seoul. With the base Cover 2 and sometimes man coverage of a LBer with some safety help on Kelce I see him eating. Carr isn’t Mahomes but with Pickens and also the run game with Walker Seoul heavily outmatches the skill position players of Hungary in this game with no DK. Hockenson is really the only Hungary player I see doing anything on offense. McDuffie locks up Lockett, I would have replaced DK with DPJ who at least had 22 receiving yards in his last game played while Marshall had 0, as did Calvin Austin in his last two. Stats aren’t everything when evaluating these games but when there is no consistency and very little production from players on the season I have to take it into account. Seoul also has Omenihu back who had a sack and a tipped pass for an INT upon his return to the Chiefs. He gives Seoul at least some edge rushing presence combined with the play of Dexter inside and an overall Dline built to stop the run I see Hungary struggling to run the ball. Without an established run game I see Goff struggling even if Seoul was expecting Geno their games aren’t dissimilar and the same strategy applies to both. I think the defensive front for Hungary can be a factor in this game I do however question the lack of including Will Anderson in the lineup, but I see Seoul taking this one with the overall better team performance. 

The Anderson exclusion was my bad. New co-owner blunder. I incorrectly thought we couldn't utilize players on their bye weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Marshall had 0 because he was on BYE man...

7 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

After I posted that I honestly thought that might have been why

I don't know why I was convinced. I think my brain went to if a player is unavailable due to injury we sub them out, so surely if they aren't actually playing for other reasons like bye week it is the same. But I should have just checked.

• Like 1

I said last game played… Last week against the dolphins he had zero receptions. Hopefully acquiring Lazard helps you going forward but this week I don’t see the firepower to win.

Terrance Marshall with Goff is different than Terrance Marshall with Young... 

That’s true but a 23.18 yards per game played over a 32 game sample size isn’t fostering much hope regardless. 

Ah yes, the Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and PJ Walker year. I remember that year fondly.

Both these teams have some major problems to sort out, but as the weeks go by, I have less and less faith in Carr. That said, I don't think there's enough depth or pass rush on the Hungary DL this week, and the offensive weapons for Hungary also leave a lot to be desired against a strong Seoul secondary. Hungary really doesn't have an answer for Kelce, either.