The MVP race

Steelersfan43

9 hours ago, typecast said:

Comparing offenses across 2 years is a bit suspect (2021 to 2023). Especially since Kittle struggled with injuries in 2021 and Aiyuk was still developing. Why not compare the 2022 numbers? 

Garapollo (whole season): 103 QB rating (with 5/10 games with CMC)
Garapollo (games with CMC): 110 QB rating
Purdy: 107 QB rating (with 5/5 games with CMC) 

27 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Comparing offenses across 2 years is a bit suspect (2021 to 2023). Especially since Kittle struggled with injuries in 2021 and Aiyuk was still developing. Why not compare the 2022 numbers? 

Smith - 104.7 Passer Rating

Patty Y1 - 76.4 Passer Rating (1 game)

Patty Y2 - 113.8 Passer Rating - MVP.

Jimmy - 103.0 Passer Rating

Purdy Y1 - 107.3 Passer Rating (6 games + 17 snaps/2 games + 1 snap/1 game)

Purdy Y2 - 119.0 Passer Rating - ???.

Edited by typecast

53 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

All that shows us is Jimmy vs 2022 Purdy, though. 2022 Purdy was great, but he was still a rookie. 2023 Purdy has been able to go through training camp as QB1 with Shanahan being able to spend the whole offseason designing the offense around him, and he's developed a much better deep ball than what he had last year or Jimmy ever had. 

Last year's Purdy was a more mobile, less-turnover prone Jimmy who still relied on the short to intermediate game with the occasional deep throw. Many of us in the Niners subforum said we would have been happy if he could continue this pace in 2023 on a much cheaper deal than Jimmy. This year Purdy's proven he can beat teams with the deep ball if the short gains aren't there(and he'll often go for the big play over a checkdown if the opportunity is there). To put it another way, whenever I saw Jimmy throw the ball more than 20 yards downfield I was hoping it would hit the ground. Whenever I see Purdy throw it, I'm hoping the receiver doesn't drop it.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

All that shows us is Jimmy vs 2022 Purdy, though. 2022 Purdy was great, but he was still a rookie. 2023 Purdy has been able to go through training camp as QB1 with Shanahan being able to spend the whole offseason designing the offense around him, and he's developed a much better deep ball than what he had last year or Jimmy ever had. 

Last year's Purdy was a more mobile, less-turnover prone Jimmy who still relied on the short to intermediate game with the occasional deep throw. Many of us in the Niners subforum said we would have been happy if he could continue this pace in 2023 on a much cheaper deal than Jimmy. This year Purdy's proven he can beat teams with the deep ball if the short gains aren't there(and he'll often go for the big play over a checkdown if the opportunity is there). To put it another way, whenever I saw Jimmy throw the ball more than 20 yards downfield I was hoping it would hit the ground. Whenever I see Purdy throw it, I'm hoping the receiver doesn't drop it.

I could also change it this way:

"2022 [CMC] was great, but he was still [traded in season]. 2023 [CMC] has been able to go through training camp as RB1 with Shanahan being able to spend the whole offseason designing the offense around him." 

But yes I concede 2023 Purdy could be better than 2022 Purdy. I can't comment on the accuracy of the deep ball. 

24 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I could also change it this way:

"2022 [CMC] was great, but he was still [traded in season]. 2023 [CMC] has been able to go through training camp as RB1 with Shanahan being able to spend the whole offseason designing the offense around him." 

But yes I concede 2023 Purdy could be better than 2022 Purdy. I can't comment on the accuracy of the deep ball. 

Dude?  Really?  It;'s like, running backs and QB;'s p]lay different p]ositions.  You cannot look at stats for a QB while kittle is banged up], but are now ignoring the p]osition a guy p]lays and the resp]onsibablities of that p]osition.  

2Yes, you could change it that way, but it doesn;'t p]rove anything or even make any sense.  

2Everyone needs to p]ut their cherry p]ickers down and watch some tap]e.  I p]refer the 22 man on NFL)+.  P}ause the p]lay when brock starts to throw, then look at the field.  Then watch other dudes run the same stuff.  

22 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

This isn’t fantasy football, CMC’s real life season doesn’t come to par with 2012 AP. 

He's putting up 2K+ All purpose and chasing LT's 31 TD's. Both won MVP those seasons. Different era!

Who was the last RB to put up probably 2200 APY - 25TD's? Gurley was close but ran into Tom Brady.

CMC won't win MVP because it's a QB award. CMC will get OPOY instead like Gurley before him. Is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He's putting up 2K+ All purpose and chasing LT's 31 TD's. Both won MVP those seasons. Different era!

Who was the last RB to put up probably 2200 APY - 25TD's? Gurley was close but ran into Tom Brady.

CMC won't win MVP because it's a QB award. CMC will get OPOY instead like Gurley before him. Is what it is.

Pretty easy to put up 2k all purpose yards when you have coach named Shanahan scheming up running concepts, facing defenses that are forced to defend against the deadliest deep game in the league, an MVP caliber QB and a good run blocking O-line with a hall of fame LT. 

Swap in any top 15 RB and the 49ers are still 11-3. We saw Elijah Mitchell do basically the same thing.

see what I did there?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That seems very unlikely to be to be honest, he'd need 11 TDs in these last three games to tie LT, and has only hit >3 twice all year(both against ARI, 4 in Week 4 and 3 last week)

Edited by jonnguy2015

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not a QB award, I’d vote Purdy over CMC. 2012 AP wins the MVP this year.

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Pretty easy to put up 2k all purpose yards when you have coach named Shanahan scheming up running concepts, facing defenses that are forced to defend against the deadliest deep game in the league, an MVP caliber QB and a good run blocking O-line with a hall of fame LT. 

Swap in any top 15 RB and the 49ers are still 11-3. We saw Elijah Mitchell do basically the same thing.

see what I did there?

This is actually all true though lol the only difference is we know CMC is elite without Shanny.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

CMC's 17-game pace - 2187 scrimmage yards. 24 rushing and receiving touchdowns.

hVbXw34.png

Here's the All-Purpose Yards leaders.

AP Yards - Rushing, Receiving and Kick, Punt, Interception, and Fumble Return Yardage

lUfQXA6.png

Edited by typecast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is actually all true though lol the only difference is we know CMC is elite without Shanny.

And the Panthers were losers even with CMC putting up 1K rushing and receiving. Poor dude :(

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe