The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

Posted (edited)

After seeing the punishment for lying about buying a burger, I fail to see how the multiyear sign stealing scandal (where there was lying, destruction of evidence, etc) isn't a much bigger deal, ergo the punishment should reflect that..... but who the hell knows.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2024/08/former-michigan-staffer-told-ncaa-culture-under-harbaugh-was-go-to-the-line-and-cross-it.html 

“In early 2021, multiple football prospects visited Michigan’s campus on these informal visits,” according to the report’s findings of fact. “According to the recruiting director, Harbaugh urged him to ‘get guys to campus.’”

Additionally, the former recruiting director who was not named in the report, “reported that the football staff had no process in place to alert the athletics compliance staff when prospects were planning to visit campus.”

“The recruiting director reported that the football staff took no precautions during the visits to avoid in-person contact with the prospects,” according to the report. “The recruiting director stated that, as a general matter, ‘the culture (in the football program) wasn’t to be safe, the culture was to go to the line and cross it if you had to.’”

Harbaugh claimed to NCAA investigators that he was aware of and fully compliant with COVID-19 recruiting restrictions, even going as far as to say he didn’t meet with any recruits from January to May 2021, when the moratorium on travel was finally lifted. But interviews with recruits, their families and the former recruiting director say otherwise, according to the report.

The NCAA found two examples of Harbaugh having in-person contacts with visiting recruits, the first occurring on Feb. 28, 2021, when he met a four-star prospect and his father at a local diner. The former recruiting director helped arrange a tour of campus and met with the recruit and Harbaugh for breakfast the following morning.

“In an interview with the institution and the (NCAA) enforcement staff, (the recruit) stated he and his father had ‘pretty much a one-on-one breakfast with Coach Harbaugh’ where they discussed (the recruit)’s future and potentially playing football at Michigan,” according to the report.

A second in-person visit with a prospect came in March 2021, according to the report, when the former recruiting director and an assistant coach arranged for the recruit to meet a member of the Michigan football team and another recruit at a local restaurant. “The following day, the recruiting director arranged for (the prospect) and his father to meet with Harbaugh and (two) assistant coaches at the same diner where Harbaugh previously met with (a recruit) and his father,” according to the report. 

Harbaugh would later say to NCAA investigators he’d “go as far as to dispute that” meeting while acknowledging his memory isn’t what it used to be. “I used to have a mind like a steel trap,” the former Michigan coach told enforcement staff. “Now it’s more of an aluminum trap.”

• Like 1

I don't be shocked if nothing more came of any of this. Also would not be shocked if they hammered them.

NCAA is not consistent so this could go either way.

Regardless hope their decision is not forever away. Just do what you will so program can get back on track. 

21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Harbaugh would later say to NCAA investigators he’d “go as far as to dispute that” meeting while acknowledging his memory isn’t what it used to be. “I used to have a mind like a steel trap,” the former Michigan coach told enforcement staff. “Now it’s more of an aluminum trap.”

8zqjyz.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

8zqjyz.jpg

What an incredible indictment that gaslighting has become a defensible position. Straight up deny everything and leave. And spoiler alert, this Netflix thing with Stallions will be a big nothing burger or TMZ would have already dropped the details.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What an incredible indictment that gaslighting has become a defensible position. Straight up deny everything and leave. And spoiler alert, this Netflix thing with Stallions will be a big nothing burger or TMZ would have already dropped the details.

I think I've hit the part where I can't take any of this even a little bit seriously anymore.

Harbaugh getting a 4 year ban for lying about a cheeseburger is so stupid, and I get the position of the NCAA that it's about lying, but he lied about a cheeseburger. I do not care. No one should care. Harbaugh's lawyer putting out statements in Charger powder blue/yellow about how he's a victim of anything is equally stupid.

This scandal is serious from a competitive integrity standpoint, but they didn't do anything to fix this while it happened, so we all know anything the NCAA does now is a dog and pony show.

What actually matters is the **** talking fans are going to do. That's been set in stone forever because this is an inner circle hall of fame dumb reality TV sports story, up there with Rick Pitino at the Olive Garden or Pole Assassin's emotional support monkey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think I've hit the part where I can't take any of this even a little bit seriously anymore.

Harbaugh getting a 4 year ban for lying about a cheeseburger is so stupid, and I get the position of the NCAA that it's about lying, but he lied about a cheeseburger. I do not care.

It has become my favorite soap opera; you can’t take this away from me.

And you’re not wrong, but it’s infinitely less petty than Jim Tressel not forwarding an email and then having to vacate wins, players getting suspended, and then him having to sit out at not just the college but also NFL level.

No one should care. Harbaugh's lawyer putting out statements in Charger powder blue/yellow about how he's a victim of anything is equally stupid.

I’m just mad we didn’t get to the “disclosure” portion last year when he accepted the B1G settlement. Everything that would have come out would have been glorious.

This scandal is serious from a competitive integrity standpoint, but they didn't do anything to fix this while it happened, so we all know anything the NCAA does now is a dog and pony show.

That was my biggest gripe. So, now you hit them with a fine, as reports indicate. Who wouldn’t cheat their way back to relevance and then capitalize with a natty and reap the short and long term benefit of money from the CFP, hardware, etc.; Hey, I’ll trade you $100 in 3 years in exchange for $1,000 now, plus in 3 years I get a huge job and salary upgrade.

What actually matters is the **** talking fans are going to do. That's been set in stone forever because this is an inner circle hall of fame dumb reality TV sports story, up there with Rick Pitino at the Olive Garden or Pole Assassin's emotional support monkey.

This is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. An assistant coach incognito decked in gear from another team disguised as an assistant coach for a former staffer and now HC who got his hands on a sideline pass and then stole signs from a reeling rival in the midst of their HC being fired for alleged unwanted phone sex on a 40+ minute FaceTime call.

Other assistants fired for destroying cell phones.

A manifesto.

An Excel sheet.

Its hilarious.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

It has become my favorite soap opera; you can’t take this away from me.

And you’re not wrong, but it’s infinitely less petty than Jim Tressel not forwarding an email and then having to vacate wins, players getting suspended, and then him having to sit out at not just the college but also NFL level.

I’m just mad we didn’t get to the “disclosure” portion last year when he accepted the B1G settlement. Everything that would have come out would have been glorious.

That was my biggest gripe. So, now you hit them with a fine, as reports indicate. Who wouldn’t cheat their way back to relevance and then capitalize with a natty and reap the short and long term benefit of money from the CFP, hardware, etc.; Hey, I’ll trade you $100 in 3 years in exchange for $1,000 now, plus in 3 years I get a huge job and salary upgrade.

This is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. An assistant coach incognito decked in gear from another team disguised as an assistant coach for a former staffer and now HC who got his hands on a sideline pass and then stole signs from a reeling rival in the midst of their HC being fired for alleged unwanted phone sex on a 40+ minute FaceTime call.

Other assists fired for destroying cell phones.

A manifesto.

An Excel sheet.

Its hilarious.

Yep, at this point all I want is everything made public. Nothing the NCAA does is going to matter, B1G teams are making $30MM/year in new TV money there is no fine that Michigan wouldn't laugh at.

Michigan fans won't ever cop to it, but the collective asterisk is the punishment that matters most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, at this point all I want is everything made public. Nothing the NCAA does is going to matter, B1G teams are making $30MM/year in new TV money there is no fine that Michigan wouldn't laugh at.

Michigan fans won't ever cop to it, but the collective asterisk is the punishment that matters most.

The “it didn’t give us a competitive advantage” argument so far is my favorite, because why else do it when there are no helmet coms and you’re limited to 20 hours a week and don’t have the kind of bandwidth to adjust to that, all while Stallions is standing next to your DC with a notebook with pictures, confirmed by the NCAA and B1G investigators, relaying information firsthand. But yeah, nobody else knew.

This is comical at this point.  Did they really give Harbaugh the cheeseburger punishment for the sideline spying?  That’s what it looks like to me.  NCAA has never, ever come down that hard on recruiting violations before lol.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

They're just poking the bear at this point

Must need that BDE vs Fresno State. Michigan playing the dumbest game of chicken ever or else memeing the NCAA.

45 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

8zski1.jpg

At least make it more passive aggressive or subtle. We need a footballism equivalent for “per my last email” or “let’s take this offline” or “going forward”.