2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think more than anything, not getting a 2 for Fields makes a trade down from 9 significantly more likely. There’s a ton of talent in R2 for IOL, WR and S which are, at least as of today, our top needs IMO.

That may not matter though - of the guys with any reasonable likelihood to be there (IMO Williams, Maye, Daniels, MHJ and Alt are locks to be gone by 9 IMO), only 2 guys are guys I would absolutely not pass on at 9 (Nabers and Odunze, in that order). If they’re both gone, I’m very open to a small trade down and would love to be the place to where a team looking to get ahead of MIN for a QB jumps (looking at you Raiders with 13 and 44). 

Agreed.  As always though to trade down you need someone willing to trade up.  

Caleb and Odunze would be a great draft by themselves. Everything else would be gravy.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I will be genuinely shocked if there isn’t a clear cut guy expected to be WR2 added at the beginning of FA. We realistically have 2 guys we’re sure will be on the roster at the position next year, and one of them is Tyler Scott who can’t be counted on to take a leap into a starting quality player. Not only do we need to add talent, but we need to add bodies too. Assuming we add Davis or Samuel or Boyd and then a lower tier guy like DPJ maybe, WR is still a need but not the dire need it is as of today.

If Ridley makes it to FA I would love to see him be our primary WR target (still think he ends up staying in JAX but we’ll see). He’s a bit older but he’s a better player than any of those other guys I mentioned too. If we go into the draft with Moore and Ridley plus another depth guy already on the roster then I think WR moves down the list of needs. That’s not to say we shouldn’t still take one at 9 (because holy **** if we had Odunze as our WR3 that’d be sick) but we’d have so much more flexibility both from a BPA and a trade down standpoint.

I like Jones and think he’s a capable LT, but I think Alt is gonna be great, and soon. I’d need to watch far more film on it (Poles & Co. obviously already have) but I wonder how much Fields’ elusiveness made Jones look better (or worse) than he actually is. I also don’t think Alt makes it to 9. I don’t think it’s out of the question for a team to fall in love with him and move up into the top 4 for him. 

I am not so sure.  The depth of WR position in college football is going to change analytics soon.   The elite are going to be very hard to find, but good ones are going to get easier to find in coming years I think.

Not a position you want to splurge on a mediocre player in FA.  Keeping taking shots in draft.

I agree they need one vet that can play.  Honestly I think they should give a lot of thought to bringing Mooney back.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Counterpoint - who’s to say the Bears’ medical staff isn’t meeting with him today or tomorrow?

They are rushing to get him in ASAP.  They already scheduled his 30 visit.  I think Caleb’s camp canceled for some reason.   Hard to keep up.  

The quicker we get Caleb in here the better…everyone knows where this is going…get the medical stuff which let’s be honest will be clear…then trade Justin before FA starts to try and maximise his value.

• Like 1

The other thing I don’t really get is wanting to wait on Caleb’s medical before trading Justin…bottom line is they have made a decision to move on to a rookie QB…if something major did come up in the medical (unlikely considering Caleb has missed no time in college) then they move on to their next best rookie option at QB or trade the pick…not only that but given we have #1 overall and Caleb is desperate to go first overall I am fairly sure an email could be sent discretely with his medical.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The other thing I don’t really get is wanting to wait on Caleb’s medical before trading Justin…bottom line is they have made a decision to move on to a rookie QB…if something major did come up in the medical (unlikely considering Caleb has missed no time in college) then they move on to their next best rookie option at QB or trade the pick…not only that but given we have #1 overall and Caleb is desperate to go first overall I am fairly sure an email could be sent discretely with his medical.

I don't think that is the case.  I think other people are waiting to see if they can get Cousins or not.  Once they realize they can't they will turn to Fields as their 2nd or perhaps 3rd option (perhaps taking a chance in draft).   

I don't get the demand for Cousins.  I highly doubt he is going to make it through a full season again unless refs really start protecting QBs again like they did for a few years there.  He isn't very big guy and at his age the injuries and even bumps and bruises don't heal fast anymore.   

I feel like Cousins at his best is just good not great.   Just good needs a very good team.  Odds are he is about to hit a wall.

I am critical of Fields, but give me Fields over Cousins all things considered (age, price, injuries, etc.)   

Fields is really only a few things away from being much better.  If a trade humbles him and he accepts some hard coaching - he can really be good IMO.

I think the fan reaction to a Fields signing versus a Cousins signing will be opposite though.  I don't believe any fanbase for team that signs Fields is going to be excited about it.   Narrative on Fields outside Chicago is he is garbage.  Which isn't fair.  He is still as physically gifted as any QB in league.  

To me it's like Houston and Carolina.   I bet the team that gets Cousins is worse off than the team that gets the second choice in Fields.

This is going to sound stupid to a lot of people.  But I have seen it happen and work at HS level.

If you absolutely demand that a QB throws a ball in under 2.5 seconds or whatever number you pick.  Maybe 3.  

And then you drill your passing concepts with that demand in place (with real threat of benching).    In about 3 months of drills that QB will get that ball out.   It will become muscle memory.  Like you buzz play dead when timer goes off and you start again.  

People say you can't make a QB robotic.  You can't take away Fields creativity.  I agree that is true with some people. 

But I believe his lack of pocket discipline is what has made him a sub-par QB.   Now if he truly can't read a defense there is no hope.  But I don't know that to be true.

When I was at Bears practice this past summer I sat next to a really knowledgeable guy in last 20s.  A diehard there by himself like me.   Taking a day off work.  

We both sat and watched scrimmages and were like.  Throw it.  Throw it.  Throw it.  Again and again.  And he didn't.  When you are in stands and can see the whole field you can see guys to throw to.   And we both said maybe he will get better.  It is early.  But it never did really.

It's like a bad golf swing.  You have to train it out.  But since running works for him he doesn't want to give it up.  He sees Rodgers and Mahomes and wants to do that.  But he isn't doing what they are doing.  

He needs to take some hard discipline to turn his career around.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think that is the case.  I think other people are waiting to see if they can get Cousins or not.  Once they realize they can't they will turn to Fields as their 2nd or perhaps 3rd option (perhaps taking a chance in draft).   

I don't get the demand for Cousins.  I highly doubt he is going to make it through a full season again unless refs really start protecting QBs again like they did for a few years there.  He isn't very big guy and at his age the injuries and even bumps and bruises don't heal fast anymore.   

I feel like Cousins at his best is just good not great.   Just good needs a very good team.  Odds are he is about to hit a wall.

I am critical of Fields, but give me Fields over Cousins all things considered (age, price, injuries, etc.)   

Fields is really only a few things away from being much better.  If a trade humbles him and he accepts some hard coaching - he can really be good IMO.

I think the fan reaction to a Fields signing versus a Cousins signing will be opposite though.  I don't believe any fanbase for team that signs Fields is going to be excited about it.   Narrative on Fields outside Chicago is he is garbage.  Which isn't fair.  He is still as physically gifted as any QB in league.  

To me it's like Houston and Carolina.   I bet the team that gets Cousins is worse off than the team that gets the second choice in Fields.

The problem with that is if you wait for Cousins and don't get him...you can bet the asking price starts to head back up because you have lost all your leverage...especially a team like Atlanta who are in no man's land...miss out on Cousins...probably don't want Wilson...so then it would cost way more to get up in the draft for one of the top 3 QBs than you could get Fields for right now...so your either having to spend your 1st on the 4th QB in the draft or having to come back to the Bears with the option of paying more or rolling with Ridder...which honestly isn't an option.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The problem with that is if you wait for Cousins and don't get him...you can bet the asking price starts to head back up because you have lost all your leverage...especially a team like Atlanta who are in no man's land...miss out on Cousins...probably don't want Wilson...so then it would cost way more to get up in the draft for one of the top 3 QBs than you could get Fields for right now...so your either having to spend your 1st on the 4th QB in the draft or having to come back to the Bears with the option of paying more or rolling with Ridder...which honestly isn't an option.

I don't get people wanting Cousins or Wilson.  At least Fields has potential.  Cousins is capped and coming off a major injury and Wilson is washed.  But I do think Cousins is who they want.  

I don't think the teams in top 3 want to trade.  So you are looking at trading for the 4th QB.  JJ?  He is a project even for a rookie QB.  Tough to trade for a project.  Takes real patience.  Like Green Bay patience.   Nobody else has GB's set up of no owner and good track record to have the extra patience.  Patience gets most people fired in this league.  But probably only other team in league with that type of patience is Pitt.  Which sucks.  

Even given all that they will all ride with what they have rather than give a 1st for Fields in 4th year of his deal.  

My guess in interested teams (maybe 2?) are probably offering a 3rd at moment and Poles is holding out for a 2nd and change.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

… We both sat and watched scrimmages and were like.  Throw it.  Throw it.  Throw it.  Again and again.  And he didn't.  When you are in stands and can see the whole field you can see guys to throw to.   And we both said maybe he will get better.  It is early.  But it never did really …

And this is what made me finally give up on Fields.

I am a huge tOSU fanboy. My wife is from Columbus and she graduated from there. I’m one of the folks who ran around the living room screaming when the Bears moved up to draft Fields. I really, really, wanted him to be the guy.

Problem is, I have seen too (TOO!) many cutups and highlights where he held the ball or took off running when there where receivers who were clearly open, or could have been thrown open. An NFL quarterback has got to take and make those throws … consistently.

JF1 ain’t that guy. We’ve got to do something else. 

Edited by IotaNet
  • Like 1

Obviously there were a lot of excellent combine performances that send you back to watch some film on guys and one receiver who really stood out to me is Ricky Pearsall...he has similar size, route running & ball skills to JSN but with more athletic upside...for Waldron he could fill that same sort of role as a rookie...his numbers aren't great but he has always been held back by bad to average at best QB play...if we don't take a WR at #9 or try and double up then Pearsall would be an excellent addition to that receiver room in the mid rounds.

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Obviously there were a lot of excellent combine performances that send you back to watch some film on guys and one receiver who really stood out to me is Ricky Pearsall...he has similar size, route running & ball skills to JSN but with more athletic upside...for Waldron he could fill that same sort of role as a rookie...his numbers aren't great but he has always been held back by bad to average at best QB play...if we don't take a WR at #9 or try and double up then Pearsall would be an excellent addition to that receiver room in the mid rounds.

The statement is both true and ironic because his QB from 2019-2021 was… Jayden… Daniels…