2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So I have spoken about playing the odds in moving 2025 draft capital to try and get a pick or two more in this years draft because the likelihood is if we are a winning team we get an extra 3rd next year and another in 2026...

If we were to make this type of move, I wouldnt be worried about giving up that future pick, and Id be excited about the player we get. But I cant say Id be forcing a deal like this right now.

There is something to be said about roster balance, and more than that, I dont think this regime is as worried about their job security as much as the fandom thinks they should be. (they absolutely expect to be making next years picks)

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we were to make this type of move, I wouldnt be worried about giving up that future pick, and Id be excited about the player we get. But I cant say Id be forcing a deal like this right now.

There is something to be said about roster balance, and more than that, I dont think this regime is as worried about their job security as much as the fandom thinks they should be. (they absolutely expect to be making next years picks)

I don’t think they so much need to be worried…but your inviting pressure you don’t need to unless we do start winning consistently…as much as balancing the roster and looking at 4 or 5 years time matters if I can get a guy who immediately helps us win (and probably protect Caleb) then I do that in a heartbeat.

17 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Wait…dad?!?

What?!?  No.  This can't be true.

I loved your mother once.  But I left her to go to Harvard Medical School and the Peace Corp. in Africa where I cured the Ebola virus while maintaining 6 pack abs.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

So I have spoken about playing the odds in moving 2025 draft capital to try and get a pick or two more in this years draft because the likelihood is if we are a winning team we get an extra 3rd next year and another in 2026...

Got me thinking about where we see ourselves next year...let's say Caleb can have a Stroud like season with all the talent around him and the defence do their thing and we win just one playoff game...picking say #24...I see no way shape that the Panthers are not picking top 3 next year (sure a lot can change but they are BAD) so that is a pick at #35 at the latest...is that 11 picks such a huge gap to not even trade our 1st in 2025 to get a quality prospect like JPJ or Newton if Poles & co have them higher enough on the board?...throw a much talent as possible at this year...

I would be down for moving the pick because of the knock on effect of winning with a rookie QB has...is Caleb hits the ground running and we win 10-11 games...look at the Texans and how they recruited in FA this offseason...people want to go there and play with Stroud because they can see the potential...imagine that here...imagine he develops into a Mahomes type of QB...look at how easy it is for KC to attract guys who could probably get paid more elsewhere because they want to be part of a winner and play with an all time great...this front office and coaching staff also need wins now...not in a couple of years...

The more we can throw behind Caleb from day one the happier I will be...also the reason I want us to be super aggressive in the post draft FA market...get a vet QB, get a vet backup LT in case something happens to Braxton, get another vet WR & TE for depth...people will take less to play with someone who could be elite and take them to the playoffs where a lot of vets have never been.

i was hoping we would throw our 2025 1 at a team last night to grab newton. The fact that he is still there makes me want it even more.

2025 2nd, 2024 3rd for 2024 2nd and 2024 4th? 

like you said, we ~might~ get a bonus 3rd if Ian leaves, plus we have the extra 2nd anyways - why not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

i was hoping we would throw our 2025 1 at a team last night to grab newton. The fact that he is still there makes me want it even more.

2025 2nd, 2024 3rd for 2024 2nd and 2024 4th? 

like you said, we ~might~ get a bonus 3rd if Ian leaves, plus we have the extra 2nd anyways - why not?

Not a snowball's chance in hell any team would agree to that package.

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not a snowball's chance in hell any team would agree to that package.

You also said Keon Coleman was a lock of a 1st round pick, so maybe don't use words or phrases like "not a snowball's chance in hell" or "locks" anymore especially when it comes to draft conversations

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

You also said Keon Coleman was a lock of a 1st round pick, so maybe don't use words or phrases like "not a snowball's chance in hell" or "locks" anymore especially when it comes to draft conversations

I probably did.  And if you would have told me I would have said that knowing he was going to run a 4.61 40, I probably wouldn't have said that.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I thought we were talking about an early SRP, not just any SRP.

i mean, i also included pick 75 instead of pick 102 like the Miller trade up.

i'm also not pretending to have this be it exactly - i'm just spitballing everything, but could this be used as a base for a trade up? 

maybe a team like AZ or WSH that have a ton of top 75 picks are willing to move back some to pick up a future 2nd - especially if we dangle CAR's

5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i mean, i also included pick 75 instead of pick 102 like the Miller trade up.

i'm also not pretending to have this be it exactly - i'm just spitballing everything, but could this be used as a base for a trade up? 

maybe a team like AZ or WSH that have a ton of top 75 picks are willing to move back some to pick up a future 2nd - especially if we dangle CAR's

Just in general, I have a hard time believing that a team is going to give up a similar pick this year for a current pick next year and I'm not convinced that a 4th round pick is incentive to move out of the draft.  I feel like if you want to make it into the second round, specifically the early part of the 2nd round then you'd need to offer up a FRP.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just in general, I have a hard time believing that a team is going to give up a similar pick this year for a current pick next year and I'm not convinced that a 4th round pick is incentive to move out of the draft.  I feel like if you want to make it into the second round, specifically the early part of the 2nd round then you'd need to offer up a FRP.

so you saw evidence of a past trade of a current 4th and a future 2nd occurring, read my post about offering a current 3rd and future 2nd, then came to the conclusion that there's no way a team would ever do that?

also, at no point did i ever say early 2nd - that was all you and your assumptions. 

again, would a team like AZ/WSH, who have 5-6 top 100 picks this year, think that #75 and another top 40 pick next year (dangling CAR's 2025 2nd) would be worth it?

lets say its trading with WSH for our original #40 - that's dropping 35 spots in the draft to pick up a 2nd next year while still leaving them with 36, 67, 75, 78 and 100. 

lets say its trading with AZ  - they've already picked at 4 and 27 - trading 35 for 75 drops them farther than WSH (but again, the picks are just the baseline/starting level), while leaving them with 66, 71, 75, 90, and 104. 

people have already been saying this draft after 40-50 is more of a crapshoot than normal - these teams, with a need for talent and bodies, get the same lottery ticket shots in a similar pool of players while also gaining a valuable asset for next year, which is shaping up to be stronger with underclassman coming out/covid eligibility running out

Posted (edited)

Move next year's 1 for Newton (first round grade) 

Move next year's  Carolina 2 and our next year 3rd to come back for jpj (first round grade) 

Spend our third rounder on bralen trice

4th round I'd hope for the developmental offensive tackle Kiran something, or Jared Wiley at TE

Win the offseason with 4x first round talents in a single draft. Offense fixed, pass rush fixed. #superbowl  #superbears

Edited by Epyon