2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

So. I'm gonna start this off by saying this isn't a thread for debating about Williams vs Maye/Penix/Fields/Bagent etc.    I want to talk about the other picks....

Let's say we do take "QB" 1.1

Our second pick, we have the option between Fashanu-LT, Marvin Harrison-WR, and Jared Verse-Edge.....  Whom do you take, and why?

Now me personally, I've been gung-ho about drafting offensive players first to help that rookie qb acclimate... but I am starting to wonder whether the right route is the LT or the WR.  A week ago I'd have said WR no question, because I think Moore is our only good one right now, and we see the impact of legitimate studs like Jefferson, Tyreek, and Jmar Chase..... I am however, getting the nagging feeling that our OL kind of blows, and I'm genuinely not sure there's any way we can fix LT outside of a first rounder. What are your guys' thoughts? Feel free to include other potential top 10 prospects into the mix if you want.

Right now I'd take Harrison at 1.2 or 1.3 & then a guy like Morgan, Mims, Paul or Suamataia with 2.35 to address OT

If they do take Fashanu at 1.2/1.3, I hope to god to get someone like Egbuka or Coleman at 2.35 (fwiw if they can get Coleman at 2.35 I'd do a handstand; I think he's WR2 in this class easily)

Verse is a no-no at 1.3. If that's what they want, trade down to 1.8 or so and take Latu

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

Really sucks that we didn't go after McGary because you could have him at RT and Wright at LT, then have kicked Jones inside. Braxton measured out almost identically to Broderick Jones so I'm still adamant he should be kicked inside if he isn't the longterm option at LT.

I would take MHJ at the moment and go for at least 1 starter on the OL in FA. Then make the move to get the best OL available in round 2. That being said I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset about getting Fashanu and trying to build a dominant OL. If Jenkins could stay healthy he would make that a MUCH more likely result.

Speaking of which since Pocic never even got a look from Poles C is a huge issue. Williams from MIA is one of my top targets because of that.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Really sucks that we didn't go after McGary because you could have him at RT and Wright at LT, then have kicked Jones inside. Braxton measured out almost identically to Broderick Jones so I'm still adamant he should be kicked inside if he isn't the longterm option at LT.

McGary has been TERRIBLE in Denver. 

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Right now I'd take Harrison at 1.2 or 1.3 & then a guy like Morgan, Mims, Paul or Suamataia with 2.35 to address OT

If they do take Fashanu at 1.2/1.3, I hope to god to get someone like Egbuka or Coleman at 2.35 (fwiw if they can get Coleman at 2.35 I'd do a handstand; I think he's WR2 in this class easily)

Verse is a no-no at 1.3. If that's what they want, trade down to 1.8 or so and take Latu

Mims, Egbuka and Coleman are all first rounders all day, no way any of them are there at 35.

Just now, HuskieBear said:

Mims, Egbuka and Coleman are all first rounders all day, no way any of them are there at 35.

We all say that about like 60 guys every year. Someone who's deserving always falls, whether it's injury or off the field stuff

I'd take Coleman and Mims top 10. Not so sure about Egbuka yet but yes I agree he should be taken around 1.20

• Like 1

I think a factor for me too is that I'm seeing a ton of intriguing WR that could be there in the 2nd right now..... but I'm also aware that there's receivers, and then there are straight dudes.

Troy Franklin interests me right now, but I need to see his 40 and 3 cone times for a guy on the smaller side. My expectation is he's more of a burner. The thought here is we simply need more dudes who get open, and frankly regardless of the QB, who stretch the Field more.

Johny Wilson is also a guy that is really catching my eye.... He's 6'6'', 237 and apparently runs 4.4...... He's not going to be a nuanced route runner, but that catch radius and size/speed combo could be huge for a QB needing a safety valve

For Harrison if we did go that way, I think I'm most intrigued by the 40 time and especially the 10 yard split on his 40 time. He was apparently clocked faster than Tyreek last year on the field in a game.... but his overall 40 time is supposed to be high 4.3s - low 4.4s...... So the acceleration might be an issue, because his size and faster than Tyreek should be uncoverable.

More than a few of my mocks even had us going Harrison AND THEN going Franklin or Wilson and doubling up on WR....

• Like 1