2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

Happy with at 9: alt, nabers, odunze, bowers

satisfied with at 9/would love to trade back a few and grab them: turner, verse, murphy, olu

need a trade down but would be happy they're on the team: barton, newton, fautanu, latu, jpj

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Most of them are down on Verse.   Not sure why as they don’t give any reasoning with the posts.  

There’s so much Pied Piper stuff going on right now. A week ago those same people who say they don’t want Verse would’ve gladly taken him after a trade down to like 13. Everyone in the media is jumping on Murphy last minute, so if it’s a defender and it’s not him it’s the wrong pick. Nobody was on Odunze until the media told us he was a top 10 pick, and now he’s a must take if he’s at 9 for most.

I’ve made no secret about my affinity for Verse, but if he’s not the pick and another DE is I’m not going to lose my **** about it. If Poles’ plan involves a premium position add at 9 that isn’t a WR and Odunze is there and not selected I’m not gonna lose my **** there either. This doesn’t have to be so polarizing, this year more than most. There are so many positive paths for the Bears to take at 9 that as long as they pick one of those and not something totally off the wall there shouldn’t be much of any vitriol about it. Alas, independent thinkers seem to be few and far between these days. 

• Like 1

Brian Kelly just said that he "had to take [Malik Nabers'] equipment away at the bowl game" because he wanted to play so bad.  I know its pre-draft fluff, but considering how many guys skip bowl games, that sounds like something that embodies Poles and Flus' goal of getting guys who just love playing football.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

There’s so much Pied Piper stuff going on right now. A week ago those same people who say they don’t want Verse would’ve gladly taken him after a trade down to like 13. Everyone in the media is jumping on Murphy last minute, so if it’s a defender and it’s not him it’s the wrong pick. Nobody was on Odunze until the media told us he was a top 10 pick, and now he’s a must take if he’s at 9 for most.

I’ve made no secret about my affinity for Verse, but if he’s not the pick and another DE is I’m not going to lose my **** about it. If Poles’ plan involves a premium position add at 9 that isn’t a WR and Odunze is there and not selected I’m not gonna lose my **** there either. This doesn’t have to be so polarizing, this year more than most. There are so many positive paths for the Bears to take at 9 that as long as they pick one of those and not something totally off the wall there shouldn’t be much of any vitriol about it. Alas, independent thinkers seem to be few and far between these days. 

I recall both Verse and Fashanu were said to be high first round picks if they would have came out last year.

Not sure how they lost so much shine.  Maybe over analysis.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’ve watched the DT’s ad nauseum and still don’t see how or why Murphy is above Newton. They have similar weaknesses. Newton is my #1 DT until he proves me wrong 

I didn't get around to Newton other than some highlights.

Work has been busy. 

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I recall both Verse and Fashanu were said to be high first round picks if they would have came out last year.

Not sure how they lost so much shine.  Maybe over analysis.  

Exactly. We may well have our pick between Verse and Fashanu at 9 after getting Williams 1-1. Tell anyone that 12 months ago and they’d be pissing their pants excited. Now I feel like most would be disappointed with either. Both were still really good in 2023 too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. We may well have our pick between Verse and Fashanu at 9 after getting Williams 1-1. Tell anyone that 12 months ago and they’d be pissing their pants excited. Now I feel like most would be disappointed with either. Both were still really good in 2023 too. 

Many analysts said Fashanu would have gone ahead of Wright.

• Like 1

I remember when th season started and both us and Carolina were sucking we were fantasizing about getting 1.1 and 1.2.  We were debating if 1.2 would be spent on MHJ or Fashanu.  I’d be very happy with him at 9.

• Like 2

I'd be happy with any:

Trade up: mhj, Nabers, alt

Stay: odunze (I think this is the pick), Bowers, fashanu, Latham, Turner, Mims, Newton

Trade down : JPJ, Verse

Other notes:

I still don't see it in Murphy. Even in his highlight reel, he's constantly on the ground/ missing tackles, and his strength/anchor looks problematic. He disengages well, and he does get "pressure", but he's no where near Aaron Donald (not that really anyone is) . I liked Kalijah Cancey better last year, and even then I wasn't super high. 

I don't like Graham Barton, because I want a center that actually has been playing center. I don't ever want to deal with snapping issues again. 

McConkey and Worthy are the two guys I'm flip flipping on (and probably shouldn't, given every time I've ever done that I was right initially). Ladd is still a better receiver, but his injury history is a major concern and I'm lowering him to a second round grade because of the risk. I love him as a receiver though, I just can't see how he stays healthy. 

Worthy is the flip side of that coin. He's still not a deep threat, despite being the fastest man in the nfl, and the bust rate on guys his size is bigger than amarius mims. That said, he had a lot of volume AND stayed relatively healthy in college. His qb was also rarely if ever doing him any favors, so there's some untapped potential there, in addition I think his mere existence would terrify a defense. I'm actually flip flopping here and moving him up to a late first grade... I think his nfl usage for us could be deadly. 

I think we take Odunze at 9.... My preference is trade up for Mhj, Nabers, Alt, down for JPJ, or grabbing Latham or Mims. Fashanu is behind those a touch because I want maulers on the line.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I remember when th season started and both us and Carolina were sucking we were fantasizing about getting 1.1 and 1.2.  We were debating if 1.2 would be spent on MHJ or Fashanu.  I’d be very happy with him at 9.

me, last year: Olu is a top 5 pick - would love to have him

me, this year: only if we can trade down from 9

i mostly think its due to the competency of braxton and other players likely available at 9

Reading through some of the rumours about tonight I think this could be one of the craziest we have seen for a while...teams apparently looking to move all over the place...outside of Caleb at #1 anything could happen.

20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Only Alt & Fashanu are comparable prospects for me...the next few guys are all RT prospects or interior players IMO...

I am also more than happy to run with Braxton at LT given that Caleb should be able to get rid of the ball faster than Fields ever did...

One of those top 3 receivers & maybe Bowers if they love him as a prospect to help Caleb out would be ahead of Murphy for me.

For sure. I like Brax alot as well and building the interior line in my mind is just as important.. 

Latham is just a dam freak ! I have never seen a guy that size (he's tall AND WIDE, legs are like torsos) move like that. 

I also LOVE OLu  ! 

For me right now:

Braxton, TJ, Shelton Latham Darnell >> OLu TJ Shelton Davis DW 

I believe that we will come away with Olu or Latham at 9 or we find a partner to trade back and we get OLu or Fautanu instead.

I loVE Rome and Brock, Nabers is a dam freak..  but I think RP will go OL and maybe angle to get into the 2nd for JPJ or Frazier. Double dipping in this OL class will pay off BIGTIME

Then get a year with Caleb, see what's what with him, and then finish the total rebuild next offseason with plenty of cap and Draft capital