2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The closer we get to draft day the more I think it's going to be Byron Murphy II at #9 or after a small trade back...people want to talk about his lack of length in this scheme but what I would remind people of is we were linked with Javon Hargrave in FA in 2022 who has 32" arms...this offseason we kicked the tyres on Christian Wilkins before the Raiders paid massively and he has 32'1/2" arms...Murphy has the same sort of length as Wilkins (much bigger hands than both)...as much as Flus loves length he is also a Rod Marinelli guy and those "undersized" penetrating UTs don't grow on trees...given how explosive Murphy is he could be a similar player to the likes of Hargraves, Wilkins or my comp for him Grady Jarrett...if he had that sort of career he would be well worth the pick...

Would love Odunze to complete the three WRs we have as I think he would be an excellent compliment and anything we can do to help Caleb should be front and centre in our minds IMO but I can see why Murphy would make a ton of sense for us.

I like Murphy a lot.  I will over look his height and arm length.

My best guess on the draft:

CHI: C Williams QB

WAS: D Maye QB

NYG trades to NE: J Daniels QB

MIN trades to ARI:  J(J) McCarthy QB

ARI trades to LAC: M Harrison WR

NE: J Alt OT

TEN: O Fashanu OT

NYJ trades to ATL M Nabers WR

IND trades to CHI B Bowers TE

ATL J Verse DE

DEN M Penix QB

CHI trades to LV R Odunze WR

Then a whole bucnha other guys and I stop watching

7 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

My best guess on the draft:

CHI: C Williams QB

WAS: D Maye QB

NYG trades to NE: J Daniels QB

MIN trades to ARI:  J(J) McCarthy QB

ARI trades to LAC: M Harrison WR

NE: J Alt OT

TEN: O Fashanu OT

NYJ trades to ATL M Nabers WR

IND trades to CHI B Bowers TE

ATL J Verse DE

DEN M Penix QB

CHI trades to LV R Odunze WR

Then a whole bucnha other guys and I stop watching

This would be fun. I could see TEN taking Fuaga in that scenario if Vrabel was still there. I wonder if they'd take Nabers there over Fashanu. Alt just seems like a Patriot.

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This would be fun. I could see TEN taking Fuaga in that scenario if Vrabel was still there. I wonder if they'd take Nabers there over Fashanu. Alt just seems like a Patriot.

Patriots are in a funny spot where I feel like they might feel like they have to go QB, but they'd be better off trying to pull a Bears and getting another first next year and picking the best DL or OL instead.  I could see it being a lot better than throwing a rookie QB in to a pretty bad roster and first year HC. If they trade down to like MINs spot you'd almost certainly get their first next year, plus some picks this year and maybe you can pressure them into BOTH firsts... Hope they stockpile instead of QB for the QB's sake! Full confession: I don't even know who Ten's HC is so not a lot of detailed projection going on there. 

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I just don't see it. Murphy is NiCE prospect !

but hardly a slam-dunk. 

Sooo many guys, esp OL ahead of him

#9 has to be a dominate decade+ starter

Only Alt & Fashanu are comparable prospects for me...the next few guys are all RT prospects or interior players IMO...

I am also more than happy to run with Braxton at LT given that Caleb should be able to get rid of the ball faster than Fields ever did...

One of those top 3 receivers & maybe Bowers if they love him as a prospect to help Caleb out would be ahead of Murphy for me.

Bad day for the Bengals with both Tee Higgins & Trey Hendrickson requesting trades...#9 down to #18 would be 450 points or a mid 2nd...I wouldn't be made with either...although the finances would be difficult for either.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Bad day for the Bengals with both Tee Higgins & Trey Hendrickson requesting trades...#9 down to #18 would be 450 points or a mid 2nd...I wouldn't be made with either...although the finances would be difficult for either.

I could have sworn Tee made a trade request a long time ago?  Like mid-FA?

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

I could have sworn Tee made a trade request a long time ago?  Like mid-FA?

Yeah I think he did and now the Bengals have picked up Chase's 5th year option he is doing it again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Apparently CW and Fashanu were teammates in high school.  First time hearing that.

It’s sure to be the next “did you know Bagent’s dad was an arm wrestler?” thing for the commentators if we draft him 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, malagabears said:

Interesting stats regarding hit/miss rates for 1st round picks between 2000/19. This was based on whether a 2nd contract was signed with the drafting team.

I can't agree with the methodology at all. It's ludicrous.  For the past 20 years or more WR have made themselves the divas of NFL players.  They've pushed their pay scale to the upper limit of all non-QB positions.  Some teams can't afford to keep them once they're out of their rookie deal so they redraft the position and start over.

How does the WR who signs with another team in FA come into the picture when he continues to produce at a high or even All Pro level. He's surely not a miss but this way of analyzing it would say he was.  Sorry brother Jim but there is not even one serious analyst or statistician that wouldn't laugh this approach out the door.