2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We dont look at them in the same way, but I think Verse got the same type of treatment that Caleb Williams got. He was THE guy on defense in this draft, and some massive jump in '23 was expected by a lot of people, and when that didnt happen, and he wasnt Myles Garrett all the sudden, it was somehow a disappointment of a season? 

It was looking at Caleb the same way I was looking at verse (their 2023 seasons) which let me feel much more comfortable with what I saw out of Williams. I think this happens alot, and its how we get "surprised" on draft night far too often.

To me, Jared Verse is Will Anderson with some rough edges. A perfect fit for this defense, who does his job well but comes off as unspectacular when you try to stack highlights. Csan you smooth off those edges and Verse jumps up a tier? Dont know, but he doesnt have to to be a great pick for us.

You and I might be the only ones doing fist pumps if the Bears take Verse at 9 on Thursday lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

the AZ/PHI tampering with jonathan gannon last year got dropped hours before the draft.

phi got compensation for the tampering. tampa and nola did not get compensation for the dolphins tampering with brady/payton. would be cool if the league threw us atl's RD5 for tampering with mooney

It seems I missed it, but what was the supposed evidence of tampering with Mooney? 

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You and I might be the only ones doing fist pumps if the Bears take Verse at 9 on Thursday lol. 

I'd be pretty damn happy. I'm at the point of having a bucket of guys I'd be excited to have at 1.9. Verse is definitely there.

Alt, Fashanu

MHJ (praying for a bong pic on draft day 😅), Nabers, Odunze

Verse, Turner

Bowers

Give me any of those (plus Williams at 1.1) and I'll be happy AF. Whole draft would be fantastic regardless of what happens.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I will be with you.   Only thing that scares me is he older than I would like.   That can throw off an evaluation.

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd be pretty damn happy. I'm at the point of having a bucket of guys I'd be excited to have at 1.9. Verse is definitely there.

Alt, Fashanu

MHJ (praying for a bong pic on draft day 😅), Nabers, Odunze

Verse, Turner

Bowers

Give me any of those (plus Williams at 1.1) and I'll be happy AF. Whole draft would be fantastic regardless of what happens.

Honestly, if we drafted an OT every 2-4 years in first I would be okay with it vast majority of time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Honestly, if we drafted an OT every 2-4 years in first I would be okay with it vast majority of time.

100%. I got into a pretty heated argument with someone that was here previously over how often I said OL should be drafted. I'd be surprised to go any draft without at least on OL in the top 3 rounds. 

I'm drafting college OTs, CBS, and EDGE in almost every draft. I want my OL made of OTs, I want my DB to be college CBs, and I want to have a good rotation of EDGE to beat the piss out of the opposing QB. If you are worth a damn at drafting you're likely going to price yourself out of at least a few of these. And if your coaches are able to develop then this allows you to keep a steady flow of clay to mold. Plus, obviously you will miss at times too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

100%. I got into a pretty heated argument with someone that was here previously over how often I said OL should be drafted. I'd be surprised to go any draft without at least on OL in the top 3 rounds. 

I'm drafting college OTs, CBS, and EDGE in almost every draft. I want my OL made of OTs, I want my DB to be college CBs, and I want to have a good rotation of EDGE to beat the piss out of the opposing QB. If you are worth a damn at drafting you're likely going to price yourself out of at least a few of these. And if your coaches are able to develop then this allows you to keep a steady flow of clay to mold. Plus, obviously you will miss at times too. 

It's right attitude.  But you need both staff and need practices to reflect this.

It can't be all waste a bunch of time with half *** drills and then do light scrimmages like most NFL coaches do 90% of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

It seems I missed it, but what was the supposed evidence of tampering with Mooney? 

apparently cousins reached out to mooney to recruit him (allegedly at the behest of ATL) during the negotiation window. so because cousins was acting as an agent of the team and was "acting" on their behalf, its considered tampering

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

apparently cousins reached out to mooney to recruit him (allegedly at the behest of ATL) during the negotiation window. so because cousins was acting as an agent of the team and was "acting" on their behalf, its considered tampering

That's worth like 4 first rounders for us.

Gotta set a deterrent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d be happy with verse.  I’m at the point where I’d probably be happy no matter what they do.  Outside of RB, DB, and ILB, 1.9 can be pretty much any position and I’m good with it.  I have my preferences, but that’s not to say i won’t be happy with verse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I will be with you.   Only thing that scares me is he older than I would like.   That can throw off an evaluation.

I'm with you.

The only limitation I see, which some evaluators have also brought up, is that his hips are stiff which limits his ability to bend around the edge. Other than that he's are great all-round 4-3 edge with a high floor

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

I'm with you.

The only limitation I see, which some evaluators have also brought up, is that his hips are stiff which limits his ability to bend around the edge. Other than that he's are great all-round 4-3 edge with a high floor

He's also only been playing position for a few years.  

Could be he hasn't learned to bend yet and hasn't really needed to yet since he physically dominates most of his opponents. 

He is older, but is young to position. 

Edited by dll2000

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He is older, but is young to position

This is what is big for me. Hes still learning and I feel like once he gets the football savvy down, he will be a pain to every OT.

And I think the age stuff is completely overblown. Hes 23, not 26. Most of the guys drafted barely make it 4 years much less talking about ten years down the line. 

If we would get 8 great years out of a pick, why would it matter if they are 29 in their last year or 32? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

schefty just tweeted the nfl isnt going to release findings/punishment until after the draft

Retroactively giving us Turner after they decide Falcons didn’t deserve 8th pick