2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

I’ve seen several mocks lately that have DET taking a C in the late 1st, with the argument for it being that JPJ and Frazier seem like “Campbell guys.” Did Frank Ragnow die and I missed it? He’s a 28-year old 3x Pro Bowler and 2x 2nd team All Pro. 

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve seen several mocks lately that have DET taking a C in the late 1st, with the argument for it being that JPJ and Frazier seem like “Campbell guys.” Did Frank Ragnow die and I missed it? He’s a 28-year old 3x Pro Bowler and 2x 2nd team All Pro. 

If I recall or read somewhere.  He had some injury concerns.  Playing with some chronic pain.  But I heard he got it solved last season.   

I can’t remember details.

Along with those knee and ankle injuries, Ragnow played through a toe issue that can't be fixed by surgery. He's been dealing with that injury going on three years now, and he was also listed on the report this year with a back injury.

"It takes a toll on you," Ragnow said. "It really takes a toll on you, so I need to find a way to get back to Frank and I don't regret any of this at all, but it weighs on you and I'm just going to take some time and really figure everything out to make sure that I'm feeling good, not only for me the football player but for me to be the best husband and best father and everything with that as well."

Me: You can only do that so long without drugs.  

Peter Schrager dropped his "what i hear from my connections mock" the other day and it had us trading back and drafting JC Latham

Daniel Jeremiah randomly tweeted "here's a trade up thought - Chicago moving to #6 to get Joe Alt of he's still there"

Are we starting to see some smoke regarding next week's plan?

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Peter Schrager dropped his "what i hear from my connections mock" the other day and it had us trading back and drafting JC Latham

Daniel Jeremiah randomly tweeted "here's a trade up thought - Chicago moving to #6 to get Joe Alt of he's still there"

I think the important thing is we have confidence in Poles to be ready for any situation that comes up...this won't be another Morgan Burnett situation when everyone knew who we wanted and that they would need to jump up to get him...ton of options for Poles & co.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I will never hate bolstering the OL. Schrager’s mock has us dropping from 9 to 15 by adding next year’s 2 from IND though. That would piss me off to no end. If we’re moving back we need to get at least one of 3 things in return IMO:

-Additional 2024 draft capital

-PREMIUM 2025 draft capital 

-A legit player who fills an immediate need

To move out of blue chip range and into blue-ish chip range I need more than a future 2. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I will never hate bolstering the OL. Schrager’s mock has us dropping from 9 to 15 by adding next year’s 2 from IND though. That would piss me off to no end. If we’re moving back we need to get at least one of 3 things in return IMO:

-Additional 2024 draft capital

-PREMIUM 2025 draft capital 

-A legit player who fills an immediate need

To move out of blue chip range and into blue-ish chip range I need more than a future 2. 

Agreed. I'm ok with Latham (if they think he can play LT, i prefer Wright on the right), but i saw that it was a 2025 2nd and thought "why tf would we do that when we don't pick again until 75 AND have 2 2nds next year)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Agreed. I'm ok with Latham (if they think he can play LT, i prefer Wright on the right), but i saw that it was a 2025 2nd and thought "why tf would we do that when we don't pick again until 75 AND have 2 2nds next year)

I think if you take Latham there’s a great chance he’s playing RG. And I’m fine with that tbh - running behind he and Wright on short yardage? Yes please. 

15 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think if you take Latham there’s a great chance he’s playing RG. And I’m fine with that tbh - running behind he and Wright on short yardage? Yes please. 

the problem with that is we need an immediate contributor with our other RD1 pick. If Latham is RG, are we benching our $10M starting RG or moving him to LG and displacing arguably our best (when healthy) OL in Jenkins? B Jones is our best trade chip (beside Wright) and we could get a late day 2 or multiple day 3 picks for him, allowing Latham to slid into that spot

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the problem with that is we need an immediate contributor with our other RD1 pick. If Latham is RG, are we benching our $10M starting RG or moving him to LG and displacing arguably our best (when healthy) OL in Jenkins? B Jones is our best trade chip (beside Wright) and we could get a late day 2 or multiple day 3 picks for him, allowing Latham to slid into that spot

I don’t like Latham for LT at all, and I don’t like Wright there either. Benching Davis wouldn’t be ideal by any stretch but that’s a 1 year issue at worst (he can be released for almost nothing after this year), and he may have trade value too. If you think Latham is a difference maker at RG (or LG with Jenkins going back to RG) then upgrades are upgrades IMO.

If they’re looking to replace Jones I’d expect a more LT-specific skill set to be the move like Fashanu or Mims. 

47 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t like Latham for LT at all, and I don’t like Wright there either. Benching Davis wouldn’t be ideal by any stretch but that’s a 1 year issue at worst (he can be released for almost nothing after this year), and he may have trade value too. If you think Latham is a difference maker at RG (or LG with Jenkins going back to RG) then upgrades are upgrades IMO.

If they’re looking to replace Jones I’d expect a more LT-specific skill set to be the move like Fashanu or Mims. 

If were missing out on the top LTs (Alt, Olu, even potentially Fautanu) and don't want to move Wright off RT, then give me Mims. Give him a year on the bench and take reps in practice. His physical abilities are insane

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Madmike90 said:

For all the walk of taking an EDGE like Verse or Turner in the 1st round...I would love to know how they view Byron Murphy II in that building...size & length wise he won't meet any of the fresh holds but he is so explosive off the snap inside as well as tough against the run they might not care...longer shot than an EDGE but not completely out of the question.

Murphy makes a lot of sense, and there's some noise out there he could be a top 10 pick.

I don't know if I love him at #9 though, if we could trade back to 12, 14 and get him that would be my preference.

It also renders Zacch Pickens pretty useless, no?

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Murphy makes a lot of sense, and there's some noise out there he could be a top 10 pick.

I don't know if I love him at #9 though, if we could trade back to 12, 14 and get him that would be my preference.

It also renders Zacch Pickens pretty useless, no?

What we do next week may tell us a lot about what they’re expecting from Pickens this year.