2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

On 4/14/2024 at 9:17 AM, soulman said:

I'm not sure why drafting a punter even entered into this considering how few picks we have.  I also don't get why anyone is that down on Gill.  If someone told me a kid who punts outdoors at SF has poor numbers compared to others I'd shrug.  It's a tough place to kick.  In the scheme of things we have more to deal with than our punter.

@AZBearsFan

Most are that down on Gill bc he was awful in big moments, pinning teams or flipping field, he absolutely killed us rolling balls into the endzone on short field pooches ..

Before Gill, Pat O'Donnell was about the same. Why not get a legit Starter with obvious elite potential at a position that clearly moves the needle helping to win games ?? 

Tory Taylor has dominated in IOWA which is a very difficult place to kick, Rehkow has several clubs in his bag and gets the ball inside the 20 very well. Both have absolute BOOTS and are 6'4 and 6'6. Their only weakness is out kicking coverage.

Ideally, we move down from 122, gain an extra pick and get one of these 2 later but I have zero problem taking either of them at 122. Especially in this particular Draft in which the later rounds are nothing more than UDFAs

How are these 2 Ps not elite Prospects ?? Iirc, Rehkow is 2nd All-time FBS history, Taylor is a dam BEAST 

Edited by SLCbear

3 hours ago, SLCbear said:

@AZBearsFan

Most are that down on Gill bc he was awful in big moments, pinning teams or flipping field, he absolutely killed us rolling balls into the endzone on short field pooches ..

Before Gill, Pat O'Donnell was about the same. Why not get a legit Starter with obvious elite potential at a position that clearly moves the needle helping to win games ?? 

Tory Taylor has dominated in IOWA which is a very difficult place to kick, Rehkow has several clubs in his bag and gets the ball inside the 20 very well. Both have absolute BOOTS and are 6'4 and 6'6. Their only weakness is out kicking coverage.

Ideally, we move down from 122, gain an extra pick and get one of these 2 later but I have zero problem taking either of them at 122. Especially in this particular Draft in which the later rounds are nothing more than UDFAs

How are these 2 Ps not elite Prospects ?? Iirc, Rehkow is 2nd All-time FBS history, Taylor is a dam BEAST 

And yet we have no idea how any rookie punter will fare in Chicago.  And are you claiming that punting in Iowa City, Iowa is tougher than punting in SF?  I don't feel Gill is all that good either but in a draft with only one second day pick and one third day pick I doubt Poles will spend one on a punter.

If he traded all the way to the bottom of round four he picks up 11.5 points.  That's enough to get a bottom half of the 6th round pick if he can find a trade partner.  I'm sorry but I don't see him doing it to draft a punter.  YMMV

• Like 1

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/big-ten-analyst-drops-marvin-harrison-jr-bears-bombshell/

Sports Mockery does a lot of clickbait stuff, and this is pretty tinfoil hat..... but... it IS interesting...

Basically the TLDR is that MHJ is intentionally trying to tank his stock so he can go to a better situation and the only two draft 30 visits he's taken are Arizona and Chicago...

How freaking wild would it be if we ended up getting  the best two offensive players from this draft?

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

And yet we have no idea how any rookie punter will fare in Chicago.  And are you claiming that punting in Iowa City, Iowa is tougher than punting in SF?  I don't feel Gill is all that good either but in a draft with only one second day pick and one third day pick I doubt Poles will spend one on a punter.

If he traded all the way to the bottom of round four he picks up 11.5 points.  That's enough to get a bottom half of the 6th round pick if he can find a trade partner.  I'm sorry but I don't see him doing it to draft a punter.  YMMV

I was comparing Iowa City to Chicago, SF is a whole other thing 

But getting a guy in here that can pin teams for this D and flip field is a worthy weapon at 122 in this particular Draft 

Cheers 

Draft cannot get here SOON ENOUGH 

22 minutes ago, Epyon said:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/big-ten-analyst-drops-marvin-harrison-jr-bears-bombshell/

Sports Mockery does a lot of clickbait stuff, and this is pretty tinfoil hat..... but... it IS interesting...

Basically the TLDR is that MHJ is intentionally trying to tank his stock so he can go to a better situation and the only two draft 30 visits he's taken are Arizona and Chicago...

How freaking wild would it be if we ended up getting  the best two offensive players from this draft?

I would HaPPILY give up the CAR 2nd but AZ will want WAY more  !!

Moving up to 5 w LAC is way more realistic for the CAR 2nd, but I think it will take more than that for MHJ 

There have been some rumors, nothing substantiated of course, that CHI is his top choice and that he hopes to work his way here 

Draft Season lmao !!!

pLEasE just get here already 

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

It would be wild but honestly getting paired up with a now healthy Kyler Murray is far from the worst situation he could hope to be in. Would be rough having Michael Wilson and Dortch to try and take pressure off him though.

That being said I hope he went to AZ's 30 visit drunk. lol

• Like 1

If teams in top 6 want to trade down Bears would be competing with teams trading up for QBs.   So you get the QB tax on trade value.   

AZ is not taking one 2025 2nd to move to 9 from Bears as others will offer a better deal.  

No way Poles does a big trade up offering future 1s for a WR.  That move makes no sense for Bears.   If anyone stops and thinks about his MO they know he wouldn’t do that.  

Click bait, just trying to pump daily content for money or being not smart.   

Maybe I am one who is not smart as I (we) do it for free.

• Like 3

For all the walk of taking an EDGE like Verse or Turner in the 1st round...I would love to know how they view Byron Murphy II in that building...size & length wise he won't meet any of the fresh holds but he is so explosive off the snap inside as well as tough against the run they might not care...longer shot than an EDGE but not completely out of the question.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

For all the walk of taking an EDGE like Verse or Turner in the 1st round...I would love to know how they view Byron Murphy II in that building...size & length wise he won't meet any of the fresh holds but he is so explosive off the snap inside as well as tough against the run they might not care...longer shot than an EDGE but not completely out of the question.

I personally like Newton more than Murphy. That’s not a slight on Murphy either - I just think Newton is the top 3T. Both should be top 20 picks IMO. 

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I personally like Newton more than Murphy. That’s not a slight on Murphy either - I just think Newton is the top 3T. Both should be top 20 picks IMO. 

I have Murphy a good bit higher than Newton but I think both will be pretty good pros

53 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have Murphy a good bit higher than Newton but I think both will be pretty good pros

I've said it on here before - I think Newton now is the better technician and has more of that dog in him, while Murphy is more explosive, a slightly better athlete, but a little bit smaller.

depends on your preference. Newton also is coming off foot surgery

I’m at the point where i really dont care what they do with 1.9.  Take bpa at 9?  Great, we’re adding another blue chip talent to our squad.  Trade up a few spots for a top wr or ot?  Go get ur man Ry guy.  We’re still getting a blue chip talent added to this team.  Trade back?  Sweet, we’re adding multiple good talents (though not your “blue chip” types) to fill multiple holes.

No matter what, this team will be better come Thursday night.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If teams in top 6 want to trade down Bears would be competing with teams trading up for QBs.   So you get the QB tax on trade value.   

AZ is not taking one 2025 2nd to move to 9 from Bears as others will offer a better deal.  

No way Poles does a big trade up offering future 1s for a WR.  That move makes no sense for Bears.   If anyone stops and thinks about his MO they know he wouldn’t do that.  

Click bait, just trying to pump daily content for money or being not smart.   

Maybe I am one who is not smart as I (we) do it for free.

Yup, I could maybe see a 50/50 possibility with SD but having lost their two top WR why would they not draft MHJr or Nabers themselves.  After that you'd have to believe NYG would also draft a WR or trade their pick if AZ did not.

I can see Odunze at #9 but I'd have to be drunk and higher than a kite riding a THC driven wind to believe there much chance of MHJr falling to #9.  Now, if AZ trades their pick and SD calls asking if Poles wants #5 for a future pick(s) take the call.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Yup, I could maybe see a 50/50 possibility with SD but having lost their two top WR why would they not draft MHJr or Nabers themselves.  After that you'd have to believe NYG would also draft a WR or trade their pick if AZ did not.

I can see Odunze at #9 but I'd have to be drunk and higher than a kite riding a THC driven wind to believe there much chance of MHJr falling to #9.  Now, if AZ trades their pick and SD calls asking if Poles wants #5 for a future pick(s) take the call.

I just think trading up would cost too much this year, for all the reasons said. We’d likely have to pay a QB price. We have just 4 picks. A blue chip talent somewhere will be there at 9, and likely at the position for which we’d be trading up. Fans are obsessed with MHJ and Nabers, and with good reason (they’re both great prospects), but I doubt Poles is. I think if he was looking to trade draft capital to move up for one of them he probably doesn’t expend draft capital to acquire Keenan Allen.

Despite what some fans want to believe, I think all the signs point toward us taking a DL in R1:

-We addressed every starter need position in FA in some fashion except DL

-We have a defensive HC who wants to win passing downs consistently with a 4-man pass rush

-Against better opponents we still frequently struggled to get to the QB even after adding Sweat (did they even have to wash Love’s jersey after the week 18 game?)

-Edge rusher has just a few players likely to make a day 1 impact, and none of them figure to make it out of the 1st round

-Pick 9 is the beginning of the perceived “sweet spot” for taking the top DL based on basically everyone’s player rankings

-What’s left of DL in FA has very few if any upgrades

• Like 1