2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

27 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I think it's going to be a 1st round pick but probably their next years pick. 

But it should be harsh. They've been trying to crack down on tampering hard. That would be a good deterrent.

I think it’ll probably be harsh too (have to deter this, especially involving a starting QB), but it should be a penalty this year IMO since they get the benefit of the tampering this year, and it should’ve already come down before we’re ~80 hours away from the draft.

If the league opts to enforce this with pick swaps between the impacted teams (meaning MIN and ATL swap 8 and 11, and maybe picks in other rounds too), how does that impact us? At first blush, MIN was probably always gonna end up ahead of us. But, if they trade up further after getting swapped to 8 from 11 then whomever they trade with would also still be ahead of us rather than behind us. Any of NE/AZ/LAC is a candidate to take a WR at 8 where ATL doesn’t seem to be. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It would seem unreasonably harsh to decide to take that away from them 3 days before the draft. Their entire draft strategy (and probably a good chunk of their offseason strategy overall) has been built around having that pick.

I wouldn’t be upset at all - just don’t see that happening. 

@GOGRIESE

Someone said it could be a swap of MN and Atl. in first.

That would be some straight bull.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

On one hand, the absurd “what if” theories on this week’s draft are entirely old. On the other, enough people buy into them that their immediate responsive actions to the absurd theories manipulate draft betting markets to give logical decisions more favorable odds, of which I am a big fan.

🤷‍♂️

You bring up a point I had not considered.  The Sports Books of our fair land.  Knowing how bettors tend to react or even over react to the latest news that actually makes a whole of sense.  Thanks!

I'm about ready to get prepared for more unanticipated moves in the top ten than we've previously brain stormed.  The entire first two hours or so may drag on because it's based entirely on where the top QBs and WRs go and to who.

If one of more of the QBs slide out of the top five or even top ten then it's likely the WR and OT will replace them and the board at #9 may look much different than previous projections that have the QBs going #1-#4 or at worst at #5 or #6.

Overall I see a draft that features offense far more than defense so there may be some fair bargain later on in round one for those patient enough to let the players come to them.  But I also feel if a draft is saying go for offense you should do it.

I still feel that if there is an elite player on the board at #9 Poles will take him and he should trading down only if that elite player(s) is(are) not there and knowing Poles I'm 100% certain he's already prepared for this and has his ducks in a row.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm about ready to get prepared for more unanticipated moves in the top ten than we've previously brain stormed.  The entire first two hours or so may drag on because it's based entirely on where the top QBs and WRs go and to who.

If one of more of the QBs slide out of the top five or even top ten then it's likely the WR and OT will replace them and the board at #9 may look much different than previous projections that have the QBs going #1-#4 or at worst at #5 or #6.

Overall I see a draft that features offense far more than defense so there may be some fair bargain later on in round one for those patient enough to let the players come to them.  But I also feel if a draft is saying go for offense you should do it.

I still feel that if there is an elite player on the board at #9 Poles will take him and he should trading down only if that elite player(s) is(are) not there and knowing Poles I'm 100% certain he's already prepared for this and has his ducks in a row.

Hopefully the trade down plan (if later team is even available) counts on either a) no one you grade high enoug his there at nine or b)enough of them are that your move back still nets you one of those players and you don't care who it is. 

No matter what, I guarantee I'm groaning when Alt and then Odunze come off the board no matter what. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

It will be a genuine shock if 4 QBs don’t go before our pick. But, if a QB is somehow available at 9 I would be floored if we didn’t trade out with someone who wants them. Rodgers will be 41 in December - if the Jets have a chance to grab whichever QB makes it down that far in that unlikely scenario I have to think they’re taking it.

• Like 1

Everyone should look back at the beginning parts of this thread and where we were talking about taking certain guys then vs. now. In October (when we thought we might have two top 5 picks) people were looking to trade down from the top 5 to later in the top 10 for one of the DEs. Rome Odunze’s name doesn’t appear in this thread at all until well into it, and initially nowhere near the top 10, but Verse’s did a bunch. Latu as well. Today it’s “If we don’t take Odunze at 9 then what are we even doing?” even after adding Keenan Allen to the mix.

For the most part our opinions here are based on what we’re told by people we decide to trust and what we see with our own untrained amateur scout eyes. We don’t really know anything, and neither do Matt Miller or Mel Kiper or Field Yates or whoever your favorite draft guy is.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Everyone should look back at the beginning parts of this thread and where we were talking about taking certain guys then vs. now. In October (when we thought we might have two top 5 picks) people were looking to trade down from the top 5 to later in the top 10 for one of the DEs. Rome Odunze’s name doesn’t appear in this thread at all until well into it, and initially nowhere near the top 10, but Verse’s did a bunch. Latu as well. Today it’s “If we don’t take Odunze at 9 then what are we even doing?” even after adding Keenan Allen to the mix.

For the most part our opinions here are based on what we’re told by people we decide to trust and what we see with our own untrained amateur scout eyes. We don’t really know anything, and neither do Matt Miller or Mel Kiper or Field Yates or whoever your favorite draft guy is.

Twitter or ones I read anyway has turned into a Murphy love fest all of a sudden.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The good news is Caleb is so good I am not even sure Bears can screw him up.  

Hopefully they don’t take that as a challenge.

So even if every other pick this year is a bust it was still a good draft.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Everyone should look back at the beginning parts of this thread and where we were talking about taking certain guys then vs. now. In October (when we thought we might have two top 5 picks) people were looking to trade down from the top 5 to later in the top 10 for one of the DEs. Rome Odunze’s name doesn’t appear in this thread at all until well into it, and initially nowhere near the top 10, but Verse’s did a bunch. Latu as well.

We dont look at them in the same way, but I think Verse got the same type of treatment that Caleb Williams got. He was THE guy on defense in this draft, and some massive jump in '23 was expected by a lot of people, and when that didnt happen, and he wasnt Myles Garrett all the sudden, it was somehow a disappointment of a season? 

It was looking at Caleb the same way I was looking at verse (their 2023 seasons) which let me feel much more comfortable with what I saw out of Williams. I think this happens alot, and its how we get "surprised" on draft night far too often.

To me, Jared Verse is Will Anderson with some rough edges. A perfect fit for this defense, who does his job well but comes off as unspectacular when you try to stack highlights. Csan you smooth off those edges and Verse jumps up a tier? Dont know, but he doesnt have to to be a great pick for us.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We dont look at them in the same way, but I think Verse got the same type of treatment that Caleb Williams got. He was THE guy on defense in this draft, and some massive jump in '23 was expected by a lot of people, and when that didnt happen, and he wasnt Myles Garrett all the sudden, it was somehow a disappointment of a season? 

It was looking at Caleb the same way I was looking at verse (their 2023 seasons) which let me feel much more comfortable with what I saw out of Williams. I think this happens alot, and its how we get "surprised" on draft night far too often.

To me, Jared Verse is Will Anderson with some rough edges. A perfect fit for this defense, who does his job well but comes off as unspectacular when you try to stack highlights. Csan you smooth off those edges and Verse jumps up a tier? Dont know, but he doesnt have to to be a great pick for us.

the ol' draft fatigue got to ya

22 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’ll probably be harsh too (have to deter this, especially involving a starting QB), but it should be a penalty this year IMO since they get the benefit of the tampering this year, and it should’ve already come down before we’re ~80 hours away from the draft.

If the league opts to enforce this with pick swaps between the impacted teams (meaning MIN and ATL swap 8 and 11, and maybe picks in other rounds too), how does that impact us? At first blush, MIN was probably always gonna end up ahead of us. But, if they trade up further after getting swapped to 8 from 11 then whomever they trade with would also still be ahead of us rather than behind us. Any of NE/AZ/LAC is a candidate to take a WR at 8 where ATL doesn’t seem to be. 

the AZ/PHI tampering with jonathan gannon last year got dropped hours before the draft.

phi got compensation for the tampering. tampa and nola did not get compensation for the dolphins tampering with brady/payton. would be cool if the league threw us atl's RD5 for tampering with mooney