2023 GDT Week #9 4-3 Steelers vs. 3-4 Titans

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #9 Who Ya Got This Week?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Steelers Offense start fast this week?

• Yes. This is finally the week the Steelers offense shows up in the first half?
    • No. They are who they are?
    • It won't matter. They will blow it late or win it late.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

QB school is pretty brutal this week

I'm starting to like him more and more but he still just at times seems to justify one guy doing something while he chastises another guy.  Like just juxtapose Kenny's offbalance throw commentary with Levis's commentary on the same style.  I would say that's sorta the biggest issue I have with him is that he seems to justify certain issues from some QBs while ripping others for the same stuff.  His Josh Allen commentary is some of the most frustrating for me to watch.  He had one a few weeks ago where Allen had a terrible game and he threw a pick into double coverage on 2nd down while the check down is wide open and JT said "I'm ok with that because of the arm talent and his WR needs to help him".

And again, since I put this on every post, not to justify Kenny's issues this game, but someone pointed out to JT in the comments that Kenny was playing with an extra brace for the ribs and his comment was "I don't care".  Something I noticed with game is that on his throws his left shoulder stayed high and the left elbow stayed out early.  From a biomechanics standpoint that's going to cause a lot of passes to sail high on anyone.  But as the game went on he was able to get the left shoulder down and the elbow to pull in a little more to get his arm angle up a little more and sailed the passes a little less.  I'm not sure if this was him figuring out how to throw with the added bracing, but given it happens through the game I would look some at his workout routine and warmup routine to see how to get him to this faster.

Edited by warfelg

What I noticed is that 4th quarter KP is more decisive.  Plans foot and throws vs dancing around.  He needs to have the correct mechanics because he does not have the arm strength.  First half Kenny has a lot of bad footwork.  Combine that with some very questionable play designs and we get the Steeler offense of 2023.

And JT really rips Levis' decision making in the 2nd half which is Levis' problem coming into the NFL.  Kenny's footwork is more fixable than Levis' bad decisions but that being said you are going to want a gunslinger to win some games and KP is not a gunslinger.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

What I noticed is that 4th quarter KP is more decisive.  Plans foot and throws vs dancing around.  He needs to have the correct mechanics because he does not have the arm strength.  First half Kenny has a lot of bad footwork.  Combine that with some very questionable play designs and we get the Steeler offense of 2023.

Good observation.  Someone made a comment about he looks like he's trying to be perfect and not turn the ball over early in the game.  I think that's from Tomlin of "protect the ball" because we have lost games because of Ben being so careless.  I would like to see him being told it's ok to just f'in rip the ball and our defense can get it back for you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

the recent memory of a gatorade cooler isn't far off anymore? Or is it? If Pickens is near another AB, I can't see the team tolerating that . Too bad, because GP is an elite talent but might have to be on a team as the featured WR all the time in order to keep behaving well.

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

that being said you are going to want a gunslinger to win some games

is the defence and ST enough to not require the gunslinger? Thats what keeps us in game while KP is shaking the weekly rust for the first half of a game. 

How about a legit run game to lean heavily on to allow the first half of the game to have the chips of rust  fall off? 

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Someone made a comment about he looks like he's trying to be perfect and not turn the ball over early in the game.

this might be the coaches telling him to be like this as well. Not sure what to make of all this, but it's not nice to watch in the first half

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would like to see him being told it's ok to just f'in rip the ball and our defense can get it back for you.

YES! fax this to tomlin asap. Remind them that DW can catch passes as well

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

the recent memory of a gatorade cooler isn't far off anymore? Or is it? If Pickens is near another AB, I can't see the team tolerating that . Too bad, because GP is an elite talent but might have to be on a team as the featured WR all the time in order to keep behaving well.

is the defence and ST enough to not require the gunslinger? Thats what keeps us in game while KP is shaking the weekly rust for the first half of a game. 

How about a legit run game to lean heavily on to allow the first half of the game to have the chips of rust  fall off? 

this might be the coaches telling him to be like this as well. Not sure what to make of all this, but it's not nice to watch in the first half

YES! fax this to tomlin asap. Remind them that DW can catch passes as well

Sometimes you need to make the throw in the phonebooth to win.  It is why you have a lot of throws to Heyward rather than GP.  Check down is safer but at some point you have to do it.  I think KP does not trust his arm strength to make the throw.  Back to Tomlin saying that he would rather tell a QB to whoa rather than git-i-yup.

KP does have the balls for the 4th quarter but he needs more of that rather than have a lot of 1 score games where it can go either way.  If the defense falls off a little bit, do you have confidence that KP can bring them back from 2 scores down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Back to Tomlin saying that he would rather tell a QB to whoa rather than git-i-yup.

Small point - but he's only ever said this about defenders and OL.  When it comes to QB/RB he's said that he highly values ball safety.

Edited by warfelg

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Small point - but he's only ever said this about defenders and OL.  When it comes to QB/RB he's said that he highly values ball safety.

Really?  I heard him say it in 2021 in the lead up to the draft.  All coaches value ball safety but you can't have a QB that is afraid to make the throws when you need them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Really?  I heard him say it in 2021 in the lead up to the draft.  All coaches value ball safety but you can't have a QB that is afraid to make the throws when you need them.

That’s just my recollection on how he’s used that. Just a quick googling - taunting penalties and Pickens/AB wanting the ball we’re the top returns. 

It was actually Ben that said it in regards to the QB position last year when Trubisky had the INT issue game. 

Edited by warfelg

10 hours ago, GetSwifty said:

Would you rather win football games or have a young QB force balls into double coverage to feed an ego? 

IMO This type of attitude needs to be checked… not catered to. 

This goes beyond one game.    I dont care if Pickens has a few down games.    Alot of great WRs get shut down from time to time.

But at the end of the day,  most good WRs have egos, and when you dont get them the ball, they are usually going to be unhappy...and players like that are typically going to look for greener pastures when they get the opportunity. 

No,Im not suggesting they force him the ball in double coverage.    Im saying that if other teams use a similar strategy going forward, things are going to get worse...so they better figure out a way to reduce the amount of double coverage he faces and find more ways of getting the ball into the hands of their best playmaker.

• Like 1

My current mock:

Round 1: Emeka Egbuka WR Ohio State
Round 2: Sedrick Van Pran Center Georgia
Round 3: Christian Haynes Guard UConn
Round 4a: Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington
Round 4b: Smael Mondon ILB Georgia
Round 6: DeWayne Carter DT Duke
Round 7: Brady Cook QB Missouri

THREE instant starters!