Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Other fan bases hated Zach Taylor and Kevin O'Connell as prospects because McVay was clearly calling the shots, but loved Brandon Staley and guys like Matt Nagy. Kliff Kingsbury was supposed to reinvent NFL offense while Mike McDaniel was the intern getting fired for drinking on the job in Cleveland. Supposedly, despite Denver and Indianapolis, Josh McDaniels was a guy teams were just clamoring for left and right. 

Other fanbase's opinion on one's popularity couldn't mean less to me. 

The moral of the story is that bright offensive minds under elite offensive head coaches typically become good head coaches themselves. Which is why Frank Smith is the dude that we should hire.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

7 years of NFL coaching experience before he got hired

Zack Taylor had 6 years of NFL coaching experience and was a coordinator for 12 games

AP has 1.5 years of coaching experience

You are really are a special kind of snowflake, aren't you?

Here's what you literally said:

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I could be wrong but I think Campbell is also the only head coach in nfl history that was never a coordinator first

And guess what? you were wrong!
Not only that he wasn't the first one in NFL history - there are also currently 2 who never were coordinator first.
(Zac Taylor was an OC before - but not when he was hired as the HC)

I know you are used to twist around every word you and other poster say, that you don't have to admit that you are wrong.
But here you were just wrong.
And saying that Taylor and Reid had coaching experience before makes the initial statement not right.

So Pathetic.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

For me, none of those things are important. I want to see what he does when he’s in the role and what he proves, that to me is much more telling than if a fan base has name recognition!

He’s basically auditioning for the role right now and how he does in the role and under similar pressures to that which he’ll face in a full time role will give us much more insight than some hypothetical like is he on another teams shortlist which we’re unlikely to know anyway.

Some good, some bad so far. He’s won games he really ought to win and his and the teams reaction to the Vikings loss was admirable. Couple really flat offence performances count against him though and it’s clear he needs his OC to be on point. 

That my point. Based on his audition thus far, do you think any other teams college or otherwise are thinking he's the guy if the Raider don't hire him? I highly doubt it.

Edited by big_palooka

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That my point. Based on his audition thus far, do you think any other teams college or otherwise are thinking he's the guy if the Raider don't hire him? I highly doubt it.

Is that really even a good barometer to start with? 

Apparently a lot of other teams were thinking Josh McDaniels was the guy despite the abundantly clear evidence and indications he was, in fact, not the guy. 

If popularity contests mattered....

*There is a question in the above body of text*

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

You are really are a special kind of snowflake, aren't you?

Here's what you literally said:

And guess what? you were wrong!
Not only that he wasn't the first one in NFL history - there are also currently 2 who never were coordinator first.
(Zac Taylor was an OC before - but not when he was hired as the HC)

I know you are used to twist around every word you and other poster say, that you don't have to admit that you are wrong.
But here you were just wrong.
And saying that Taylor and Reid had coaching experience before makes the initial statement not right.

So Pathetic.

I was wrong there are two head coaches that weren't previously coordinators. In my original post I said "I could be wrong but I think Campbell is the only HC who wasn't a coordinator."

Regardless though AP is not it and the fact that we're comparing him to Andy Reid is a joke, he'll be a LB coach if he's even employed in the NFL at all next year and you think he's the best option we have as a head coaching candidate.

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Is that really even a good barometer to start with? 

Apparently a lot of other teams were thinking Josh McDaniels was the guy despite the abundantly clear evidence and indications he was, in fact, not the guy. 

If popularity contests mattered....

*There is a question in the above body of text*

How many HC interviews do you think AP is going to get this off-season. There's only one owner stupid enough to even consider him as a legitimate candidate and that's Mark Davis.

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Has there ever been a head coach with as little experience as AP?

Ironically, he’ll have more experience than guys like Ben Johnson, Smith or McDonald by virtue of the fact he’s been an NFL head coach for the past number of weeks 😁 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Ironically, he’ll have more experience than guys like Ben Johnson, Smith or McDonald by virtue of the fact he’s been an NFL head coach for the past number of weeks 😁 

Ben Johnson - 12 years of NFL coaching experience

Frank Smith - 14 years of NFL coaching experience

No idea who McDonald is tbh

Antonio Pierce - 2 years of NFL coaching experience 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have no idea what other teams may be thinking but there’s a few NFL head coaches I think he’s probably almost as good as right now or better than, with much higher potential. Whether he achieves that is a guess but I would think he’s probably being discussed at the least. A few teams will probably do worse.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

I have no idea what other teams may be thinking but there’s a few NFL head coaches I think he’s probably almost as good as right now or better than, with much higher potential. Whether he achieves that is a guess but I would think he’s probably being discussed at the least. A few teams will probably do worse.

What coaches in the NFL has AP shown he is better than? 

It's going to be hilarious when we get blown out this week and lose the next two and everyone jumps ship. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Ben Johnson - 12 years of NFL coaching experience

Frank Smith - 14 years of NFL coaching experience

No idea who McDonald is tbh

Antonio Pierce - 2 years of NFL coaching experience 

I don’t really think being sonething like a quality assistant is 1/10 the value actually being an NFL head coach is. 

Therefore interim NFL head coach trumps those lesser roles imho. OC or DC then that is a big role so that plays a part for sure. McDonald is the Ravens DC.

Pierce will have more experience at the end of this year than all those guys! If you think the others are better then sure, no problem but to not pick him due to experience is faulty logic if you don’t go with someone who’s been an NFL head coach before. 

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t really think being sonething like a quality assistant is 1/10 the value actually being an NFL head coach is. 

Therefore interim NFL head coach trumps those lesser roles imho. OC or DC then that is a big role so that plays a part for sure. McDonald is the Ravens DC.

Pierce will have more experience at the end of this year than all those guys! If you think the others are better then sure, no problem but to not pick him due to experience is faulty logic if you don’t go with someone who’s been an NFL head coach before. 

I think over a decade of being an assistant and seeing how an NFL program is run first hand, especially under great head coaches like Frank Smith has worked under, is significantly more valuable than being an interim head coach for half of a season. I'm assuming NFL teams agree with me as well because there's a reason that very few interim head coaches ever get hired anywhere else to be a head coach after their time as an interim head coach is up. 

You genuinely think 9 games as an interim coach makes you more experienced and qualified to be a head coach than 10+ years of being an assistant and working your way up the coaching ranks?

AP's time management, usage of timeouts, situational awareness has been lacking in key situations throughout the year since he took over. That's largely due to a lack of experience as a coach at any level of football. 

If we don't promote AP, I will legitimately leave this forum forever if he ever gets an NFL head coaching job in his lifetime. It won't happen.

Edited by NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think over a decade of being an assistant and seeing how an NFL program is run first hand, especially under great head coaches like Frank Smith has worked under, is significantly more valuable than being an interim head coach for half of a season. I'm assuming NFL teams agree with me as well because there's a reason that very few interim head coaches ever get hired anywhere else to be a head coach after their time as an interim head coach is up. 

You genuinely think 9 games as an interim coach makes you more experienced and qualified to be a head coach than 10+ years of being an assistant and working your way up the coaching ranks?

AP's time management, usage of timeouts, situational awareness has been lacking in key situations throughout the year since he took over. That's largely due to a lack of experience as a coach at any level of football. 

If we don't promote AP, I will legitimately leave this forum forever if he ever gets an NFL head coaching job in his lifetime. It won't happen.

Kid, are you like 13 or 14 years old or something? It’s genuinely OK to have differing opinions on things, especially things which cannot be proven like this. You don’t like Pierce, no problem. I obviously rate actually doing the job as better experience for, you know, doing the job, clearly you don’t. I can respect that. I like Harbaugh and some don’t, I can respect that.

• Like 2

How people can watch the Rams game last night and see what a good HC looks like and say, I want AP as my coach is baffling to me. 

McVey is the standard you should want to find in a coach. The Rams are consistently terrific. Their system is elite. They traded high picks to win a Super Bowl and are still competitive because of elite level drafting and coaching. 

I  find it so insane that people could look at AP and think, this is the guy who can compete at that type level. 

The Raiders have been so bad for so long, people are willing to settle for good enough.

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How people can watch the Rams game last night and see what a good HC looks like and say, I want AP as my coach is baffling to me. 

McVey is the standard you should want to find in a coach. The Rams are consistently terrific. Their system is elite. They traded high picks to win a Super Bowl and are still competitive because of elite level drafting and coaching. 

I  find it so insane that people could look at AP and think, this is the guy who can compete at that type level. 

The Raiders have been so bad for so long, people are willing to settle for good enough.

I’m not on the AP bandwagon, but I don’t think that’s quite fair. He’s in a tough situation as an interim coach who has a roster that was put together by a GM afraid of doing his own job. I’ve been very vocal about wanting Frank Smith to be the next guy we target, but I’m also more than happy seeing the season play out. I will hate losing Graham and the defensive improvements but it’s ok if you’re tabbing the right guy to lead the team. I just am at the point of let’s see this season play out before any major indictments are given. 

Edited by FloydFan
Typo
  • Like 2