Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

How many players would leave if we moved on from Antonio Pierce and got like Ben Johnson or something?

We would set the team back 2-3 seasons and potentially lose Maxx along the process. 

It would be a guarantee 6 win team g and exactly what you said,  people would give the excuse that the Hc needs time to implement his vision. Or get his players on the team etc. That equals another rebuild and potentially another new staff after that. A cycle we’ve seen far too much

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

What is the first and foremost responsibility of any head coach: Lead Men. He may not be "highly sought after" (whatever that means) but the players want to play for him and genuinely feel like they let the guy down when they do lose.

100% agreed. A true leader which is harder to find for a coach in todays game. Pierce was also a leader as a pro bowl level player in the NFL. He’s also relatable to Players because he was one at the highest level

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 2

Realistically, I think that win has made it very, very hard for Mark to not install Antonio Pierce as Head Coach and remove the interim title.

I love the way the team has bought in and has kinda assumed his identity, particularly the D.

The massive question I have is who is going to run the offence and how are they going to attack the QB position. I’d have 100% belief that a guy like Jim Harbaugh can get that sorted in short order or at least get very competent play there. With AP it’s a huge unknown, is he going to overcompensate and put too much belief in O’Connell? Does he know what kind of QB he want? What kind of scheme will he ultimately want to run on offence?

I can imagine he may like a run heavy offence, but there’s no real track record for it, and perhaps most importantly, do we trust the staff he puts in place on the offensive side of the ball to nurture and develop a rookie QB if they go that way? From what he’s shown I have zero issues trusting him on D, but the keystone to the whole operation will be the next QB choice………

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Realistically, I think that win has made it very, very hard for Mark to not install Antonio Pierce as Head Coach and remove the interim title.

I love the way the team has bought in and has kinda assumed his identity, particularly the D.

The massive question I have is who is going to run the offence and how are they going to attack the QB position. I’d have 100% belief that a guy like Jim Harbaugh can get that sorted in short order or at least get very competent play there. With AP it’s a huge unknown, is he going to overcompensate and put too much belief in O’Connell? Does he know what kind of QB he want? What kind of scheme will he ultimately want to run on offence?

I can imagine he may like a run heavy offence, but there’s no real track record for it, and perhaps most importantly, do we trust the staff he puts in place on the offensive side of the ball to nurture and develop a rookie QB if they go that way? From what he’s shown I have zero issues trusting him on D, but the keystone to the whole operation will be the next QB choice………

100% agreed. I think it has to be Pierce to be the HC. We cannot disturb the development on defense and the overall team

Finding an offense in the NFL is easier than fielding a great defense. I’m sure we can get a good progressive OC. It is just harder to find a good QB. I like to see who the available QBs are next season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Wild guesses for OCs under AP:

Greg Roman - because of the ties with Rob Ryan. Would also bei the ideal OC for a QB like Fields or Daniels.

Sean Ryan - Former Giants QB and WR Coach at the time AP was there

There’s also a very strong possibility that he keeps his best bud Bo as the OC.

3 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Wild guesses for OCs under AP:

Greg Roman - because of the ties with Rob Ryan. Would also bei the ideal OC for a QB like Fields or Daniels.

Sean Ryan - Former Giants QB and WR Coach at the time AP was there

It depends on who’s available once black Monday happens after regular season

Perhaps Adam Gase. Wouldn’t be my choice but could do worse

Edited by bucksavage1

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Possibility that Bo remains on the staff as QB coach again

If we make the playoffs or even win out there’s a very real possibility he’s the OC.

Even keeping him as the QB coach would be a mistake after he has basically ruined every QB he has ever touched with 5 different organizations. 

Imagine trusting the development of your rookie QB to a guy that got Cutler, Tannehill, Darnold, Carr, and Jimmy G shipped out of town after each had the worst season of their careers as soon as Bo was their coach. 

For anyone who's wondering what kind of impact Antonio Pierce has had on the defense, here are some interesting defensive stats:

Opponents were averaging 23.4 points under McDaniels. They're averaging 15.3 points under Pierce, who retained defensive coordinator Patrick Graham. The turnover margin was minus-8 before the switch; it's plus-5 under Pierce.

The Raiders also rank first in the NFL in scoring defense since Pierce took over. They were 22nd through Week 8. Since Week 9, the Raiders have blitzed less -- a league-low 12% of dropbacks (they were at 24% through Week 8, 15th highest in the league) -- but have more sacks under Pierce, 24-16. And their opponents' Total QBR has dropped from 60 to 39 with Pierce as interim coach.

Using a more zone-heavy scheme on defense (77% of dropbacks since Week 9, second highest in the league to the Indianapolis Colts' 79%, compared to 64% through Week 8), the Raiders have had two defensive touchdowns in each of the past two games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39187965/antonio-pierce-building-case-raiders-head-coach-job

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Question because I honestly don't know: Does Mark still have to interview other candidates after this season, or can he just remove the interim tag, make Pierce the official HC, and call it a day? IDK what league rules are concerning that.

Per NFL rules, he has to interview Pierce and other candidates.

There’s way’s around it. Probably won’t get Harbaugh , Johnson or Slowick to interview. Marvin Lewis and Adam Gase will probably interview. They’ll probably end up on the staff someway