A 2024 OFF-SEASON PROJECTION (POST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)

Karnage84

I just finished watching the Rose Bowl.  I have to say the Will Reichard is probably better right now than Riley Patterson or Michael Badgley.  He would settle our kicking game down in a big way.  I wonder where he goes in the draft.  I don't see a late 3rd-round pick for him like it was for Jake Moody but I could see a 5th for sure.  If the Lions picked up a 4th round pick in a trade it wouldn't bother me if they used it on Will Reichard.

One scenario I could see happening:  Michael Penix Jr drops to the Lions due to injury concerns but they get a really good trade-back offer with a team that is willing to roll the dice.

It will be interesting to see how Michael Penix Jr checks out with his medical evaluations but I could see this happening despite his two years of outstanding tape and health.  He has been looking as good as CJ Stroud did last year.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Tracy Walker has been relegated to ST with the emergence of Iffy and now with the return of Deuce. Even though Deuce could be gone next year Walker isn't worth his cap hit. But cutting him would still leave a lot of dead money. Do you think he would take a pay cut for an extension so we could keep a good backup and he could finish it his career here? He's probably worth about $2m/year.

3 hours ago, idoubtit said:

Tracy Walker has been relegated to ST with the emergence of Iffy and now with the return of Deuce. Even though Deuce could be gone next year Walker isn't worth his cap hit. But cutting him would still leave a lot of dead money. Do you think he would take a pay cut for an extension so we could keep a good backup and he could finish it his career here? He's probably worth about $2m/year.

Here is a link to Tracy Walker's salary cap information.  It doesn't reflect 2024 yet but a post-June 1st cut has a cap savings of $8 million and a dead-cap hit of $4.821 million in 2024 and $2.5 million in 2025.  He is still a decent role-player but his $12 million cap number pretty much guarantees the Lions will do somethin with his contract in the off-season.  $8 million in cap savings would put them at roughly $68 million in cap space.  That would go a long way towards keeping our core players signed to long-term extensions.

https://overthecap.com/player/tracy-walker/6967

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

$8 million in cap savings would put them at roughly $68 million in cap space.

Not really that much cap space.We have 38 players under contract for 2024 so far and they cap counts top 51 in the offseason so if you add another 13 contracts it will at least be about $10m right there. 

3 hours ago, idoubtit said:

Not really that much cap space.We have 38 players under contract for 2024 so far and they cap counts top 51 in the offseason so if you add another 13 contracts it will at least be about $10m right there. 

We’ll also have 7-8 rookies on cheap deals and cap rolled over from this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, idoubtit said:

This is the reference for the 2024 cap space for the Lions.  I am pretty sure we are in good shape. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions

The thing with the cap is that the number given buy itself doesn't really mean that much. A team can have a lot of cap space but hardly any players signed to second contracts and a whole bunch that will need to be signed. That being said the Lions are in good shape capwise. 

Jason at OTC did a good run down on it in this article. He also had a graph on it but I can't find that now.

https://overthecap.com/looking-at-salary-cap-flexibility-and-potential-scenarios-in-2024

20 hours ago, idoubtit said:

The thing with the cap is that the number given buy itself doesn't really mean that much. A team can have a lot of cap space but hardly any players signed to second contracts and a whole bunch that will need to be signed. That being said the Lions are in good shape capwise. 

Jason at OTC did a good run down on it in this article. He also had a graph on it but I can't find that now.

https://overthecap.com/looking-at-salary-cap-flexibility-and-potential-scenarios-in-2024

We're still top 10 in cap potential. 

I understand we need to fill out the rosters because there's a lot of FAs. That being said, a lot of those FAs aren't even worth resigning for the most part.

I think Holmes could potentially trade down a bunch during this draft. We saw that Rams this season with like 14 rookies to fill out the roster, but it's worked for them because they scouted well.

• Like 2

The really interesting situations to watch are the teams that will be trying to get out of salary cap jail:

Saints:  $75.9 million over project cap

Dolphins:  $43.3 million over projected cap

Bills:  $41.5 million over projected cap

Chargers:  $34.5 million over projected cap

I suspect the changes they will have to make will put some solid depth players on the market

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

We're still top 10 in cap potential. 

I understand we need to fill out the rosters because there's a lot of FAs. That being said, a lot of those FAs aren't even worth resigning for the most part.

I think Holmes could potentially trade down a bunch during this draft. We saw that Rams this season with like 14 rookies to fill out the roster, but it's worked for them because they scouted well.

Guys I would like to resign:

CJGJ
Jonah Jackson
Glasgow
Jacobs (RFA)
JRM (Seems to be a great locker room guy and pro bowl special teams player)
James Houston (ERF)
Maybe Mosely if he is on a super cheap deal
Maybe Dan Skipper since he is now a legend in Detroit and solid extra lineman
One of DPJ or Reynolds most likely will be around

There are also some guys who deserve some extensions that may be helpful to move some of that cap next year like ARSB, Iffy, and McNeil.  

That should still keep us in decent shape to be able to sign a couple solid free agents if we see fit.  I do like the idea of trading down and stockpiling 2nd/3rd round picks but at the same time there are some guys I would like to snag if they fall.  Getting production from throughout our drafts is why we are where we are and need to trust in Holmes to keep it up.  Will also help if Sorsdal and Martin can be worthwhile next year as well as Hooker being a legit backup QB.