2023 GDT Week #10 Steelers 5-3 host the 3-5 Packers

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Was gonna sarcastically say that I would trade half a decades worth of firsts for Justin Herbert.

But I am not sure I’m being sarcastic…

So that he can make amazing throws and dumb decisions to keep you in games but lose them on a regular basis. Sounds great. 

The same exact reasons why Drake Maye probably needs another year because he makes choices similar to Herbert. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

46 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

He loses games for them.  Obviously the HC is horrible but Herbert makes A LOT of wtf plays or doesnt show up in the clutch.  Disappears etc. 

he has issues inside the 20 and thats a major problem IMO.

on a positive note, if we win and balt loses next week, we are 1st place in the AFCN 

52 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

He loses games for them.  Obviously the HC is horrible but Herbert makes A LOT of wtf plays or doesnt show up in the clutch.  Disappears etc. 

you are probably one of the posters whose opinion I respect the most on here, so I’m just gonna politely agree to disagree because I think we are watching different people. 

You say he loses them games. He is literally the only reason they win any. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

…Herbert is not the reason they lose games. At all. In any way. 

he has a role in both winning and losing. Sure, the losing % isn't as high, but it exists.  I think he is really good, but inside the 20 is a major issue with batted/tipped passes.  The chargers have any number of ways to lose games as we have seen over the last few years . 

30 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

He is literally the only reason they win any. 

Eckler is no slouch though and the punter is good.  Defence has a way of failing too often as well as the coach.   

Trade KP, Mitch, chuks, najee and 2 RD1 picks for Herbert - I could deal with that I am sure 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

does he have some clutch though? I thought he had a few 4th quarter rallies . KP has the rallies in the 4th, but no OC help and the other 3 quarters are painful to watch most of the time. 

7 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/chargers-need-justin-herbert-to-level-up-in-late-game-situations

Never knew this but he’s got 11 INTs in Q4 of one score games. He’s also got 14 GWDs with only 3 against teams with winning records and 1 against a top 10 defense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

Yeah that CA3 penalty, while not intentional, was just plain pathetic by CA3. 

The lack of planning with Pickens just continues to show why Matt Canada is not the OC we need.

I just don’t get why it’s so hard for us to design a play intended for a player. I said it last week but it’s like they are using him as a decoy because he draws attention. 

Now some of it could be on Pickett. Sometimes, IMO, he needs to just rip it at GP despite looking covered. I feel like 50/50 balls to GP are more like 65/35 balls. 

9 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

So that he can make amazing throws and dumb decisions to keep you in games but lose them on a regular basis. Sounds great. 

The same exact reasons why Drake Maye probably needs another year because he makes choices similar to Herbert. 

I just keep landing on the fact that we have so many needs. People say the draft is a crapshoot but when you go into the data I feel like that statement makes it worse than it is. Average GMs can have a success rate of about 50%. The funny thing is the good ones are well above that while the bad ones aren’t far behind. 

But here’s what you can do in order to tilt the odd in your favor - collect more picks. 

KC always operated with the thought that you need to go into the draft with 7 picks. Those same studies on success also show the better drafters tend to have more like 10-12 picks in a draft. Two things happen with that. One you have the ability to move up and down the board based on your scouting. But two it causes you not to have to force picks. 

I look at this offseason and short term (IE they need to be at least pushing for playing time year 1) we need RT, DL, ILB, CB, SS. Long term (Can take a year to develop) we need WR, OC, OG, CB, QB. That’s 9 unique positions. And it doesn’t account for spots we need depth at (SwingT, SS/FS, ILB). You take away 5 years worth of 1st rounders you hamper both of those needs. 

There’s very few current QBs I would trade for because you have both the loss of picks and cap considerations to account for. It’s just too much for a team in flux to worry about. Focus on the trenches this year ( @Steeler Hitman should like that), get a CB2, get a ILB. Live with Kenny another year because there’s these issues. That frees you in 2025 to go get the QB you want. Other parts will be better locked in by then and trading picks away has less of a negative impact on the ability to build around the QB. 

Also - other than a better HC I fail to see what makes our situation any different than LAC.

This isn’t a QB/Kenny problem alone, and going out of your way (I would call it that unless 1/3 drop to us in the draft that won’t) is doing exactly that. The roster building has been mismanaged for a few years now. Between no succession plan for Ben even before his injury (but moreso after), years of no OL early drafting especially as the line aged, over investment in skill players, underinvestment in DB, reaching for guys rather than trading down. 

It’s all caught up. We’re there. How many rookie contract guys are on this team worth keeping long term? 2? 3? Maybe 4? Better teams have 5/6 sometimes up to 7 or 8. 

I almost guarantee that if we trade for Herbert or something rash like that we’re back to 10-7/11-6 and bounced quick in the playoffs. 

I could go off more but I’m ending my rant there. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

There were times that GB put 10 men close to the LOS and Pickens was single covered and the Steelers still ran the ball.  THat was play calling as the Steelers are so risk adverse as to not want to throw on 1st down.  Watch some of the success they had with putting the QB under center and PA.  Of course they were check-down-charlie almost the entire game so it is hard to judge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

There were times that GB put 10 men close to the LOS and Pickens was single covered and the Steelers still ran the ball.  THat was play calling as the Steelers are so risk adverse as to not want to throw on 1st down.  Watch some of the success they had with putting the QB under center and PA.  Of course they were check-down-charlie almost the entire game so it is hard to judge.

It’s stuff like that which is frustrating to watch and I’m sure is frustrating for the team too.  Pickett needs the freedom to check out of that and hoist up the ball to Pickens.  And I’m sure that’s a big part of what Pickens is frustrated by.  Those should be easy check withs at the LOS for a big play.

I also don't understand why Wallace continues to be on the field, but I guess the answer is, the lack of a better option. He can't cover for crap. Seriously, he made no effort on the TD catch on the right side of the endzone (to Doubs was it?) 

Like damn bro, jump up and flail some arms or SOMETHING? I'm not a football player, never have been, but that wasn't some amazing pass, that was poor secondary play. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I also don't understand why Wallace continues to be on the field, but I guess the answer is, the lack of a better option. He can't cover for crap. Seriously, he made no effort on the TD catch on the right side of the endzone (to Doubs was it?) 

Like damn bro, jump up and flail some arms or SOMETHING? I'm not a football player, never have been, but that wasn't some amazing pass, that was poor secondary play. 

I think that’s the Minkah effect TBH. Levi is a good trail technique corner, which requires a good COF safety.  Neal and Kazee have bit way too much on run game and have failed to keep the lid on the defense which hurts this trail technique in a significant way.