Packers game 5 up 5 down

3rivers

I was going back to watch the tv copy of the game, Im looking to pick Kenny apart to see "how bad" he was. I only got to 8 minutes left in 2nd qtr i believe, and tbh I only have one throw thus far where I question why he did or didn't do what he did. It was the pass that was almost picked. Not because he threw the pick which was very poor decision, but because I cant understand why he doesnt dump it to Washington who is leading open right in front of him and has the first down and more. I see plays like this getting missed too often. These are not exactly the plays everyone else is calling for but they are the smart understand the game move the chains plays and it takes a little touch lead ability to throw them but about a 4 on the difficulty scale.

Otherwise thus far I see him running and executing the play that was called first read stuff, pretty simple, mostly extensions of the run game plan. No problem with that. Im very content with a ball control game plan that works and it is, we need more of it this week, to keep the defense off the field while they get their communication issues together with all the new faces etc.

The issue I do see on the I think 3 maybe 4 passes to this point where the call was beyond a 1st read type play are that no one is either looking for the ball or in an obvious breaking position of any kind to catch the ball at around the 2 to 2.5 second mark of the play. On the glimpsing instances of when a throw couldve been made the WR is making a break to turn up rather than looking for the ball. I thought it was Diontae who as great of a route runner as he is tends to have zero awareness of the play or need to help the qb at points during the play, but it was George. Looked like they were trying to get him deep and if he would've even looked it was an opportunity at the break to turn up to hit him. These seem like play concept issues as well as receiver habits/techniques that are of no help to the qb. You have 2.5 seconds at most before you can assume the pass rush is going to be an issue.  Thus far I didnt see Kenny scramble too early. There may have been one play where he just shouldve thrown it away. Anyway, Im intending to go back and finish this tv copy and Ill take notes. Then I want to see the All 22 on this, cause people seem to be falling apart about his performance. Im assuming the 2nd half has some issues that will pop up. 

My goal isn't to rip Canada on what Im saying above just to point out the factors I see contributing to the lack of output by the passing game.  I do hate those duel 5-7 yd curl/stop routes in the middle of the field. They are worthless even if you throw it as soon as he catches the snap they are kind of risky with low return but are so often blanketed and the receiver is stopped and dead in the water essentially. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

KP gets the ball out late too often.  I think it is a processing issue.  Could be the coaching not helping him with his reads vs the defense.  He was a check down machine in the Packers game which works would well until the Packers started playing up or in zone.  

18 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

The issue I do see on the I think 3 maybe 4 passes to this point where the call was beyond a 1st read type play are that no one is either looking for the ball or in an obvious breaking position of any kind to catch the ball at around the 2 to 2.5 second mark of the play.

I made this comment last year on some plays where it looks like Kenny was struggling to process, but there seems to be a lot of plays where it looks like the route is a 5-7 maybe even 9 step drop concept route, while Kenny is only taking 3.  Or vice versa where it’s a 3 step concept route and he’s taking 5.  Like concepts are just off from what it should be.

Now could it be that Kenny just doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing? Sure.  But throw on tape of Mitch.  Throw on tape of Ben.  The same things happen where their back foot hits the top of the drop, and every WR is about 3 steps from their break.

When I see stuff like that, then hear that interview with Jace Sternberger about how stuff under Canada is just written on a piece of paper and it’s not coached how to execute, rather it’s just said to run it as written, I can’t help but feel bad for the players because no work is being done on how to execute.  What read are you, when should you look for the ball, who knows they’re the hot. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I can’t help but feel bad for the players because no work is being done on how to execute.  What read are you, when should you look for the ball, who knows they’re the hot. 

should have hired 

cHBlZCUyOS5qcGc

seeing how KC's offence is nowhere near what it was, shows what a legit OC can do.  Maybe AR2 and Tomlin kept canada since they can control him. If they hired Eric, that might not have gone as well and internal power struggles might have occurred .  

at least the run game appears to be legit finally.  At least we can expect this to continue, as long as chuks isn't playing of course

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-daily-links-pff-loves-jaylen-warren-historic-rushing-total/

the clip with coach Minkah telling austin is well - telling. Even tomlin is in agreement.  Maybe Minkah can start to audible defences once he is back on the field. Of course it's nice to know he is also helping the team win from the sidelines too

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Now could it be that Kenny just doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing? Sure.  But throw on tape of Mitch.  Throw on tape of Ben.  The same things happen where their back foot hits the top of the drop, and every WR is about 3 steps from their break.

This is exactly what I'm seeing. Again, Im not trying to hate on Canada, but they are not in sync with the reality and needs of the situations. The drop is especially concerning like you are saying as there is no timing with the point he is to set up and the break of the route and calculated timing to even get the arm in motion. There is no one looking for the ball or intending to look at the ball even if you threw a timing route ahead of the receivers break except for those stupid inside curl stop routes which I will hate on Canada for because they need to be thrown out of the playbook. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

should have hired 

cHBlZCUyOS5qcGc

seeing how KC's offence is nowhere near what it was, shows what a legit OC can do.  Maybe AR2 and Tomlin kept canada since they can control him. If they hired Eric, that might not have gone as well and internal power struggles might have occurred .  

at least the run game appears to be legit finally.  At least we can expect this to continue, as long as chuks isn't playing of course

Not downplaying EB in this situation, but Matt Nagy is horrible and tbh I believe his failures contributed greatly to everyones hesitancy in hiring Any Reids OC's. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Not downplaying EB in this situation, but Matt Nagy is horrible and tbh I believe his failures contributed greatly to everyones hesitancy in hiring Any Reids OC's. 

And it isn't like the Commanders offense is setting the world on fire with Bienemy. They're probably better than us, but nothing special. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-daily-links-pff-loves-jaylen-warren-historic-rushing-total/

the clip with coach Minkah telling austin is well - telling. Even tomlin is in agreement.  Maybe Minkah can start to audible defences once he is back on the field. Of course it's nice to know he is also helping the team win from the sidelines too

I had no problem with Minkah or Austin in this situation. Matter of fact I loved it. Not because it showed any disrespect toward Austin but because of the true mental leader of that defense being involved and caring that much. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And it isn't like the Commanders offense is setting the world on fire with Bienemy. They're probably better than us, but nothing special. 

Ken Dorsey apparently threw 2 more careless picks last night because he got benched. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 3

I do not think Kenny played a bad game, but I don't think it was a good one either. He had 2/3 turnover worthy plays, was nowhere close on a couple of shots he took (both bailed out by bad penalties), a bad readout where he takes a sack to start a possession (bailed out on penalty again), and was inaccurate on a couple throws BEHIND the line of scrimmage. It's just not anything I am going to write home about if I were him. 

But I have a lot of questions on some of the things he is not able to do vs not allowed to do. He looks so rehearsed when looking off/reading a safety. Reading should be informing you what to do, but there are times he just ignores the information or stalls on it. Is he being instructed on what to do regardless of situation or is he unable to take in the information post snap and needs to stick with his originally planned read out? You could convince me of either. 

A second year starting QB within the same system seems to be taking a step back with the restrictions around what he is allowed to do. It's literally like watching Duck Hodges play, except Duck was a free 4th QB in camp and Kenny was drafted 20th overall. 

• Like 1