How To Handle Tanking In Dynasty Leagues?

the lone star

I don't like benching everyone on your team. That's bad to me. There are ways to "tank", that are perfectly legitimate in my eyes. Lets say your team has been really bad, and you need a rebuild. You have someone like Larry Fitzgerald, #4 in ppr scoring this year, I believe. Your team is going nowhere, you don't know how much time he has left (still unsure if he's playing next year even with the extension), so you trade him for like Marlon Mack and Josh Doctson. On the surface, it looks like a horrible trade, but at least there is some logic behind it. You get to tank the season, you build for the future, the other teams gets to make their playoff push for possibly only this year. And that trade is just an arbitrary example

I think people caught tanking in a league involving money deserve to be kicked...

Also @Forge, i think that trade is okay to a point but i think whoever is dealing Fitz needs more back like a draft pick. Doctson and Mack are young and should be decent soon but at least the logic behind the move is somewhat sound, ASSUMING it is a dynasty league. Because no one should ever make that trade in a re-draft league

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think people caught tanking in a league involving money deserve to be kicked...

Also @Forge, i think that trade is okay to a point but i think whoever is dealing Fitz needs more back like a draft pick. Doctson and Mack are young and should be decent soon but at least the logic behind the move is somewhat sound, ASSUMING it is a dynasty league. Because no one should ever make that trade in a re-draft league

The trade itself was just an arbitrary example how you can tank while actually having logic behind what appears to be a lopsided trade. I wasn't advocating for that trade though lol

10 hours ago, Forge said:

The trade itself was just an arbitrary example how you can tank while actually having logic behind what appears to be a lopsided trade. I wasn't advocating for that trade though lol

Happens in the NBA all the time.

I did that in a dynasty league I was in last year. Traded Tom Brady, Steve Smith, Kenny Vaccaro, DJ Swearinger, Jason McCourty, Tre Boston, and Nathan Stupar for Matt Jones (when he was #1 RB for WAS), Mike Davis, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett, Tajae Sharpe, Rashard Higgins, Navorro Bowman, Kam Chancellor, AJ Bouye, Kavon Frazier, and waiver money.

Was able to draft McCaffrey, Reuben Foster, and Cooper Kupp after I performed so poorly.

Also used the money to make moves during free agency. Got guys like Sproles, Bilal Powell, Austin Ekeler, Peyton Barber, Tion Green, Justin Davis (meh), Marquise Goodwin, Danny Amendola, Dareus, William Hayes (whiff), Armonty Bryant (whiff), Anthony Barr, Timmons, Derrick Johnson, AJ Klein, Sean Spence (when he was projected as #1 ILB for the colts....WHIFF), Jeff Heath, Tavon Wilson, Quinton Demps, and JJ Wilcox (whiff).

Had to leave the league because buy-in was going up, but needless to say, that team is in a good position now. Current owner is very happy with what I did.

Also drafted guys like Chad Hansen and Amara Darboh. Let's see how they pan out.

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Was in a league where the commissioner told us we could tank, allowed his brother to do so one year, but didn't allow me to do it the next.

Left the league after that. Not gonna go down that road, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely I do it. If my team is honestly bad enough where I am a bottom 4 team without having many injuries I tank and toss out some well known players.

Last year I traded away Amari Cooper, Julian Edelman for 1st round picks. Traded away Kirk for a 2nd round pick and Kyle Rudolph.

This year has been a success.

Drafted Fournette with the 1st pick in the draft, used my other 2 first on Hunt and Kamara. Drafted Engram and Marlon Mack with my seconds.

While I actually didn't make the Superbowl this year, it completely rebuilt my team for the future.

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2017 at 12:52 PM, sammymvpknight said:

There is a difference between trading current resources for future resources and still playing your best players...versus dropping your players or benching you best players. You’d be kicked out of my league for the later. 

Does your league have a explicit anti-tanking rules?

Let's say I'm a commissioner of a dynasty league and I discovered that someone tanked a few weeks back. There aren't any explicit anti-tanking rules and the way we calculate the rookie draft order for the upcoming draft has been posted since the end of last year's draft.

1.) Should the team that tanked be punished if it isn't explicitly against the rules and the games are already in the books?
2.) Would it be bad if I unilaterally changed the way to calculate the draft order to punish the team that tanked?
3.) Should I just let the tanking slide and put new rules into place for upcoming seasons?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, the lone star said:

Let's say I'm a commissioner of a dynasty league and I discovered that someone tanked a few weeks back. There aren't any explicit anti-tanking rules and the way we calculate the rookie draft order for the upcoming draft has been posted since the end of last year's draft.

1.) Should the team that tanked be punished if it isn't explicitly against the rules and the games are already in the books?
2.) Would it be bad if I unilaterally changed the way to calculate the draft order to punish the team that tanked?
3.) Should I just let the tanking slide and put new rules into place for upcoming seasons?

1. I dont think the team should be punished if it happened weeks ago. Catch it the week it happens(or at least by Tuesday) and then maybe they can be reprimanded but you cant do it weeks later.

2. Yes it would be bad to change the rules after the fact and punish someone that tanked because they didnt know there was any sort of punishment. They are essentially playing by the rules. Imagine if the NFL came out with a new tackling rule Week 8 and then suspended someone for a hit in week 5 after the fact. 

3. You absolutely need a new rule in place if this is remotely an issue, BUT I think you dont necessarily have to wait until the end of the season. Tell everyone ASAP that the new rules say no tanking. Spell out what that means exactly...and I mean EXACTLY. There will always be that one guy that tries to find a loophole. So even if someone tanked in week 11, from week 12 and on there will be a no tanking rule in place. Does that mean the team that tanked week 10 & 11 has sort of an advantage? Yes, but they followed the rules until they changed. If they follow them after the fact, they should be "rewarded" with the better pick but playing by the rules. 

If you dont like that, then try a lottery system!

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

1. I dont think the team should be punished if it happened weeks ago. Catch it the week it happens(or at least by Tuesday) and then maybe they can be reprimanded but you cant do it weeks later.

2. Yes it would be bad to change the rules after the fact and punish someone that tanked because they didnt know there was any sort of punishment. They are essentially playing by the rules. Imagine if the NFL came out with a new tackling rule Week 8 and then suspended someone for a hit in week 5 after the fact. 

3. You absolutely need a new rule in place if this is remotely an issue, BUT I think you dont necessarily have to wait until the end of the season. Tell everyone ASAP that the new rules say no tanking. Spell out what that means exactly...and I mean EXACTLY. There will always be that one guy that tries to find a loophole. So even if someone tanked in week 11, from week 12 and on there will be a no tanking rule in place. Does that mean the team that tanked week 10 & 11 has sort of an advantage? Yes, but they followed the rules until they changed. If they follow them after the fact, they should be "rewarded" with the better pick but playing by the rules. 

If you dont like that, then try a lottery system!

So let's say I change the way to calculate the draft order which slides him down in the draft one spot. Is that really a punishment? Regardless, how big of a deal is it?

Archived