FCS 2023 playoffs

Malfatron

If there is a bet for SDSU vs. The Field I'm taking SDSU as they will be looking to go back to back. Aside from the Jackrabbits, an all state of South Dakota final is possible is as the University of South Dakota is very good also. Montana very strong again.

It appears the NDSU dynasty is all but over.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:58 PM, Down to Earth said:

If there is a bet for SDSU vs. The Field I'm taking SDSU as they will be looking to go back to back. Aside from the Jackrabbits, an all state of South Dakota final is possible is as the University of South Dakota is very good also. Montana very strong again.

It appears the NDSU dynasty is all but over.

It really is SDSU and everyone else this year. My guess is SDSU and Montana in Frisco with the rabbits winning easily. Idaho would have been interesting if they were in the other side of the bracket. 

I wouldn't count NDSU out going forward either. Their biggest issue is coaching and depth. The coaches are inexperienced and learning and the portal wiped out their usual depth. Even in their down year they probably should have been the 6/7 seed this season. But it's ok to give other teams their turn. 

USD is a good turnaround but I don't see them making it out of the quarters. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost to Sac St. this weekend (not that I expect it). 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, CrazyJoeDavola said:

It really is SDSU and everyone else this year. My guess is SDSU and Montana in Frisco with the rabbits winning easily. Idaho would have been interesting if they were in the other side of the bracket. 

I wouldn't count NDSU out going forward either. Their biggest issue is coaching and depth. The coaches are inexperienced and learning and the portal wiped out their usual depth. Even in their down year they probably should have been the 6/7 seed this season. But it's ok to give other teams their turn. 

USD is a good turnaround but I don't see them making it out of the quarters. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost to Sac St. this weekend (not that I expect it). 

I just can't believe how watered down the FCS has gotten.  I miss the days of App State, Georgia Southern, James Madison and the occasional UMass teams being legit contenders year in and year out.  Now it's the Big Sky and Missouri Valley Conferences and nothing else.  

34 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I just can't believe how watered down the FCS has gotten.  I miss the days of App State, Georgia Southern, James Madison and the occasional UMass teams being legit contenders year in and year out.  Now it's the Big Sky and Missouri Valley Conferences and nothing else.  

I totally agree. The last four or five years have wiped out the FCS. I am Bison fan/alum and it's gotten boring at this point and I don't even consider teams from the east an actual threat at all. The playoff is basically the MVFC regular season.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Well I got bad news for you, because Alabama would whip the ever loving bleep out of every FCS team ;)

I'm confused here.  Why would the FCS be important here?

Also I do like how this playoffs could be considered 2 SEC vs Big Ten match-ups since Oregon, USC, and Washington will be joining the the Big Ten while Texas and Oklahoma will be joining the SEC next year.

35 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm confused here.  Why would the FCS be important here?

Also I do like how this playoffs could be considered 2 SEC vs Big Ten match-ups since Oregon, USC, and Washington will be joining the the Big Ten while Texas and Oklahoma will be joining the SEC next year.

It's the FCS playoffs thread?

16 minutes ago, Raves said:

I apparently can't read anymore.  I dunno though, maybe Alabama would pull a Michigan and lose to an Applacian State type team :D

Haha.  Unfortunately those teams don't exist anymore.  SDSU is the best in FCS this year and they would get rolled by those App State teams.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:19 AM, hrubes20 said:

I was  a GA at East Tennessee State back in the mid/late 90s and that old Southern Conference was just a fun football conference to watch. You had App State, Georgia Southern and Marshall. I remember Marshall coming down to Johnson City to play with Chad Pennington at QB and Randy Moss at WR laying a smackdown on ETSU. All those schools seemed have found a way to move up and have done so with success. Unfortunately, don't see a path for the Big Sky and MVC schools to do the same for multiple reasons.