Week 13: Chiefs @ Packers Lead up - Big Big SNF Game Vs Mahomes and MaAuto

LLcheesehead12

The expertise seems to be that the MVS clock-stop shouldn't have been called.  As an amateur, it didn't seem to me like he was so totally contained that forward-progress should have been called.  Guys get hit and twist free and run for more yards all the time.  In real time I didn't think there was really any doubt, that he should have been given the out-of-bounds and clock stopped.  

• Like 1

Tush-Push/Love-Shove.  Have the Packers run that before?  I haven't seen every quarter this season, but I don't recall them using that before.  Packers have been notoriously inept at short-yardage over the MLF era.  Really pleased to see them getting successfully on board with that play.  Made a first down really easily and decisively, well done.  

Packers never seem to be very cutting edge in anything strategic, but glad they're maybe catching up on this approach.  

• Like 1

Heath dropped an excellent throw in a crucial situation.  I didn't see the first quarter, but otherwise the receivers did really well in terms of catches.  Doubs make a couple of excellent, difficult hands catches.  Watson made at least three very difficult catches.  A couple of throws were low and guys got under them for nice snags.  During the losses it seemed receivers dropped a lot of balls, but these last two victories the hands have been excellent.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Tush-Push/Love-Shove.  Have the Packers run that before?  I haven't seen every quarter this season, but I don't recall them using that before.  Packers have been notoriously inept at short-yardage over the MLF era.  Really pleased to see them getting successfully on board with that play.  Made a first down really easily and decisively, well done.  

Packers never seem to be very cutting edge in anything strategic, but glad they're maybe catching up on this approach.  

Just in time for the NFL to ban it. 

Three straight wins with turnover advantage.  Not sure how we'll do against decent teams without that, but it kind of brings to mind years of Rodgers-teams having turnover advantages.  Obviously some luck involved.  Nixon made a very difficult catch on his INT.  Long pop-up floater pass that Doubs caught on his back in front of the 3rd TD, as ball was floating I was almost surprised that one of the three defenders didn't see it and hop over to intercept, kinda lucky on Love's part.  But hope the turnover situation remains favorable or neutral moving forward.  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Three straight wins with turnover advantage.  Not sure how we'll do against decent teams without that, but it kind of brings to mind years of Rodgers-teams having turnover advantages.  Obviously some luck involved.  Nixon made a very difficult catch on his INT.  Long pop-up floater pass that Doubs caught on his back in front of the 3rd TD, as ball was floating I was almost surprised that one of the three defenders didn't see it and hop over to intercept, kinda lucky on Love's part.  But hope the turnover situation remains favorable or neutral moving forward.  

I think that throw encapsulates the difference between Love and Rodgers. It was 4th down if memory serves me correct. Rodgers would have never thrown that ball up for grabs. He would have tossed it out of bounds to avoid any potential INT. 

IF KC gets it, it's as good as a punt. Doubs made a great play on the ball though. 

• Like 1

Packers ended up with more penalty yards on the game, but some of the offensive penalties on Chiefs really changed the game.  During the early losing, it seemed the Packers offense (and ST) were constantly making crucial penalties.  That's really stabilized during the wins.  Even so, the motion penalty on Reed at end of 2nd quarter, I think that changed the FG landscape, and also changed the context for the ensuing plays, with Love getting sacked.  Without that penalty, I think Carlson would have gotten a shot at the field-goal.  

But yeah, kind of fun to not have lots of penalties on every first-half drive, or on every ST play.  

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Heath dropped an excellent throw in a crucial situation.  I didn't see the first quarter, but otherwise the receivers did really well in terms of catches.  Doubs make a couple of excellent, difficult hands catches.  Watson made at least three very difficult catches.  A couple of throws were low and guys got under them for nice snags.  During the losses it seemed receivers dropped a lot of balls, but these last two victories the hands have been excellent.  

Think maybe you are misremembering how crucial Heath's drop was.   It was a tough drop, but it was on 1st down.  The next play Dillon had a 10-yard run to pick up the 1st.  A couple plays later, Heath had a nice 15 yard catch and run for another first down.

• Like 4

Did Rhyan get his first-half series?  If so, I assume he did fine then, given that the offense clicked first half.  I did see when he came in second half.  I think on his 2nd play, he gave Jones what seemed to be a fairly decent block, but Jones was unmoved and just ran right past Rhyan to chase Love.  Love got a nice run to the left and ended up getting a first-down on the play anyway, so it ended up being productive.  But at least on that play, Rhyan didn't look good.  Obviously Jones makes a lot of guys look not good; on the previous series he'd run through/around Runyan just as easily.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Think maybe you are misremembering how crucial Heath's drop was.   It was a tough drop, but it was on 1st down.  The next play Dillon had a 10-yard run to pick up the 1st.  A couple plays later, Heath had a nice 15 yard catch and run for another first down.

Yeah, they worked around it, so maybe "crucial" wasn't the right word.  But kinda anytime it's the 4th quarter of a close game like that, every play is kinda crucial; dropping a 1st-down catch to instead set up 2nd-and-long could change the flow of the game.  Nice to have the team work around it. 

Heath's first-down catch-and-run, that was really smooth.  He looks pretty balanced and resourceful as a YAC guy, even if his straight-away speed is nothing.  Nice player.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think that throw encapsulates the difference between Love and Rodgers. It was 4th down if memory serves me correct. Rodgers would have never thrown that ball up for grabs. He would have tossed it out of bounds to avoid any potential INT. 

IF KC gets it, it's as good as a punt. Doubs made a great play on the ball though. 

GTFO

Rodgers would have taken the 4'th down sack.  He's not pitching it out of bounds to hurt that %.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dillon also gets some major props.  The KC game was the first time all season where I watched Dillon and thought, "He's probably worth signing to an extension"

He had a really good game and has been playing like hes got a contract on the line.  I think he's a sign and disappear guy, but with Jones age and health, they might lean towards bringing Dillon back.  You don't want to go into the draft having to get a RB and being forced to start him.

• Like 1