Game 12: Detroit Lions (8-3) @ New Orleans Saints (5-5)

Louis Friend

I think what confuses me is that run the offense at such a deliberate pace early in games.  They have enough reliable weapons in the running and passing game to shift run a "fast-break" offense pretty effectively.  That would stress opposing defenses and tire them out.  It would also probably make their running game much more effective late in the game when they need to put games away. 

They had a stretch where they would put together a 5-7 minute drive at the beginning of the 4th quarter keeping the opposing offense off the field late in games.  It was almost a signature of the offense.  They seem to have gotten away from that.

The other thing about the offense is that I think they are still struggling when teams take away the intermediate-middle section of the field in the passing game.  Baltimore did it.  Chicago did it for most of the game.  Green Bay was pretty effective with that as well.  They have enough proven weapons attack other areas when the middle locked down.  I am not sure why it seems so hard for them to adjust to that.

59 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Obviously consistency is what everyone works for but its hard in the NFL.  We also scored more points in the first 7 minutes than all but 1 or 2 teams in NFL history.  As teams adapt and make changes mid game, its hard to keep that pace going.  Its why the league average for scoring isn't 40 per game.  Sure the three and outs are tough but again look at the big picture. We had two possessions in the first half that sputtered due to a bad pass and a well defended screen pass and the other by a great defensive play to stop Laporta short of the sticks.  We probably go for that and get it if we aren't up by 14 at that point with our D playing well to that point.   In the second half we had 1 3 and out and then had 7 play drive ending in a FG, a 2 play drive ending in a TD, another three and out, and then an 8 play drive to kill the clock and end the game. So we had 4 possessions out of 11 that ended in a 3 and out and one more that ended in a 4 and out.  Less than half the drives ended in a 3 and out and according to league average over the last 5 years, each team has 3.8 three and outs per game so in one of our worst games, we were league average.  

We are 4th in the league in time of possession, which tells me three and outs are not a major concern.  

Also in that first half our D had a 1 play turnover, 3 and out, 3 and out, 5 and out, 13 play TD drive, 3 and out, 1 and out.  Thats 5 of 7 drives ending in a three and out or less and one more that was a 5 and out.  So if the offense gets criticized for the same thing, the defense should be applauded.  

So something maybe? encouraging is the D got into a lot of 3rd and longs. They just happened to give up all those. Somewhat fluky, hopefully they correct those next game.

5 minutes ago, General Tso said:

So something maybe? encouraging is the D got into a lot of 3rd and longs. They just happened to give up all those. Somewhat fluky, hopefully they correct those next game.

That wasn't a fluke.  As it has been for most of the season, the Lions didn't pressure the QB after the first quarter very well.  Derek Car went 1/5 in the 1st quarter.  He finished the game 17 of 22.  Even Dan Orlovsky could succeed against that combination of lack of pressure and soft zone coverage.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

That wasn't a fluke.  As it has been for most of the season, the Lions didn't pressure the QB after the first quarter very well.  Derek Car went 1/5 in the 1st quarter.  He finished the game 17 of 22.  Even Dan Orlovsky could succeed against that combination of lack of pressure and soft zone coverage.

Well, one of those conversions was Branch's tipped pass, that was lucky. The other was Irvin's penalty. I don't think those happen again.

9 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Well, one of those conversions was Branch's tipped pass, that was lucky. The other was Irvin's penalty. I don't think those happen again.

Did you notice how badly Jameis Winston played?  There were wide-open receivers and he just missed them because that is how Jameis WInston plays.  Derek Carr would not have missed those receivers and we probably not have won the game.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Did you notice how badly Jameis Winston played?  There were wide-open receivers and he just missed them because that is how Jameis WInston plays.  Derek Carr would not have missed those receivers and we probably not have won the game.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying for every play Carr would make, there were plays that were fluky as well.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, Just Want A Title said:

Stats are great but as I have watched the Lions offense this season, I have noticed:

1.  Blocking schemes whose effectiveness has been up and down

2.  Teams telegraphing his misdirection

3.  Noticeably less effective use of motion

4.  An over-reliance on "the hot hand"

We feasted on some so-so teams this year.  The offense hasn't been as dominant and explosive as you would think given the presence of so many weapons.  A lot of folks talk about the players not being ready for the burden of being the hunted team but I think Ben Johnson might have this problem also.  

Pretty sure the Lions have more explosive plays than anyone else in the NFL this year. 

15 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Pretty sure the Lions have more explosive plays than anyone else in the NFL this year. 

It is kind of hard to say why the Lions offense can put up points but still not seem like it is hitting on all cylinders.   I was listening to a podcast and they made an observation on Jared Goff going to a specific receiver based on pre-snap looks but not really seeing open receivers for big plays.  That actually makes a lot of sense.  It seems like he leans on one specific receiver a lot.  Sometimes it is ARSB.  Sometimes it is Sam LaPorta.  With the number of weapons that we have it seems like spreading the ball around more would make the offense much harder to defend.