Game 12: Detroit Lions (8-3) @ New Orleans Saints (5-5)

Louis Friend

It’s raining where I’m at and my stream kept going in and out. What a roller coaster.

The defense is absolutely a problem that needs addressing. Brian Branch made two good plays on the ball and missed one big tackle. Bruce Irvin played well. Jack Campbell played better. Jerry Jacobs gave up the huge play to Olave to set up first & goal. Our redzone defense is atrocious. 

Sorsdal did not play poorly. He’s a rookie guard who is being thrown into stressful situations and doing okay. I’m more concerned with Decker who just looks lazy on some plays. He just seems to give up half way through. 

We need to get Jamo more involved. 1 catch and 1 carry is not enough. Give him 5 looks a game. Get him going. 

Sam LaPorta is a GD man!! Stud. Should be a pro bowler. 

Overall, Lions are 9-3 with a 3 game division lead with 5 games left. They are in the drivers seat but they need to start playing better and stop making games more difficult than they need to be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

It’s raining where I’m at and my stream kept going in and out. What a roller coaster.

The defense is absolutely a problem that needs addressing. Brian Branch made two good plays on the ball and missed one big tackle. Bruce Irvin played well. Jack Campbell played better. Jerry Jacobs gave up the huge play to Olave to set up first & goal. Our redzone defense is atrocious. 

Sorsdal did not play poorly. He’s a rookie guard who is being thrown into stressful situations and doing okay. I’m more concerned with Decker who just looks lazy on some plays. He just seems to give up half way through. 

We need to get Jamo more involved. 1 catch and 1 carry is not enough. Give him 5 looks a game. Get him going. 

Sam LaPorta is a GD man!! Stud. Should be a pro bowler. 

Overall, Lions are 9-3 with a 3 game division lead with 5 games left. They are in the drivers seat but they need to start playing better and stop making games more difficult than they need to be. 

The Lions have a different kind of problem with Jameson Williams:  not using him enough.  He is holding on the ball even when he takes big shots.  He is making big plays late in the game.  He made a solid catch early but didn't get a look until his TD run.  You can't fault Jameson Williams.  He is making plays every chance he gets.  He needs to be a bigger part of the offense.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

And what are those, exactly? You're so smart, let's hear exactly what you'd do

They don't adjust. Just look at GB game. lions kept staying in man versus moving to zone. Then GB ran motion to get certain spots in field open and picked them apart.

move into some zone and stop falling for the motion. 

Or they start in cover 2 but then the d call ends up back in man on man and 4 man rush.

the 4 man rush ain't doing jack

last I looked they were only a tick above 20% blitzing.

They are content sitting in man and letting QBs just pick them apart 

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Glen has proven over and over he is not the answer.

This defense will keep the team from full potential and that is sad 

While that's true, sometimes Glen does call the right coverage, but then the pass rush doesn't get home. And then there's always missed tackes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

They don't adjust. Just look at GB game. lions kept staying in man versus moving to zone. Then GB ran motion to get certain spots in field open and picked them apart.

move into some zone and stop falling for the motion. 

Or they start in cover 2 but then the d call ends up back in man on man and 4 man rush.

the 4 man rush ain't doing jack

last I looked they were only a tick above 20% blitzing.

They are content sitting in man and letting QBs just pick them apart 

How can you say they didn't adjust in the GB game?  We gave up 2 TDs on the first two drives.  They returned a fumble for a TD and then we adjusted and gave up all of 9 points after that and the only TD was when they had to go 20 yards.  We 100% adjusted in that game. 

Yesterday, we were dominant in the first.  Then New Orleans adjusted, mainly at half time.  We went out and adjusted again and got a stop when we needed it.  

We are currently 20th in points per game against, 1 spot ahead of the Philadelphia Eagles and one spot behind the Miami Dolphins.  We are 14th in yards allowed per game including the 6th best run defense.  Our D is not amazing.  We are not great but we are not this awful bottom of the league team that you guys keep making us out to be.  Playing defense in this league is hard with all of the great offenses and we are doing a solid job this year.