Game 12: Detroit Lions (8-3) @ New Orleans Saints (5-5)

Louis Friend

I really have mixed feelings on AG and the defense. The biggest issue on D is not being able to get to the qb, imo. That allows the qb to pick apart the secondary. But when you consider we lost James Houston, and his takeoff last year was when our D started turning it around I believe to be significant. Then the loss of Mosely and CJGJ hurt the depth in the secondary. I think those are 3 significant losses on D and we don't have enough horses to overcome it. The D needs to be able to do just enough and to some extent they do. But they are also are biggest liability when Goff is not turning it over.

This team is strictly built to win with the offense. If the defense has to win it for us, I don't like our chances. To me, this is why the OT is the single most important position this off season. Our mediocre looking play lately seems to have more to do with the OL and getting Goff rushed more than anything else (I'm looking at Decker here). Then there is not a dominant D in place to take it over or to really overcome it.

With that being said, I feel like AG is just a lot of times outmatched. I can't say I really have examples of it, it just feels like when you are sitting there you know they are going to bend and break. What are we 30th in Redzone defense pts allowed?

I think this D should take a big step forward next year just due to the youth on the team.  If they don't, then we definitely need to make a decision about AG. I also wouldn't be heartbroken if he was let go this year either.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Teams with top 15 defenses statistically don't often fire their coordinators, especially mid season. 

Statistics aren't telling the whole story.  They feasted on some not very good teams early in the year.  I don't think AG should be fired during the season but the defense isn't playing well at all.  They couldn't get a stop after the first quarter.  I don't need to talk about the pass-rush because there isn't much to talk about.  It isn't great.  I don't think we are expecting an elite defense but there are enough pieces in-place to make them respectable.  They don't look respectable at all right now.

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Did anyone else see what looked like a blatantly obvious hold by Tyrann Mathieu in the end zone on what would have been a TD? I'm trying to find a clip but he was holding onto the receiver's right arm toward the back of the endzone. 

It was absurd and out in the open. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Did anyone else see what looked like a blatantly obvious hold by Tyrann Mathieu in the end zone on what would have been a TD? I'm trying to find a clip but he was holding onto the receiver's right arm toward the back of the endzone. 

Officiating hasn't been very good across the league this year.  It seems like it is getting a little worse as we get deeper into the season.  Hopefully they officiating crews can get themselves right for the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I really have mixed feelings on AG and the defense. The biggest issue on D is not being able to get to the qb, imo. That allows the qb to pick apart the secondary. But when you consider we lost James Houston, and his takeoff last year was when our D started turning it around I believe to be significant. Then the loss of Mosely and CJGJ hurt the depth in the secondary. I think those are 3 significant losses on D and we don't have enough horses to overcome it. The D needs to be able to do just enough and to some extent they do. But they are also are biggest liability when Goff is not turning it over.

This team is strictly built to win with the offense. If the defense has to win it for us, I don't like our chances. To me, this is why the OT is the single most important position this off season. Our mediocre looking play lately seems to have more to do with the OL and getting Goff rushed more than anything else (I'm looking at Decker here). Then there is not a dominant D in place to take it over or to really overcome it.

With that being said, I feel like AG is just a lot of times outmatched. I can't say I really have examples of it, it just feels like when you are sitting there you know they are going to bend and break. What are we 30th in Redzone defense pts allowed?

I think this D should take a big step forward next year just due to the youth on the team.  If they don't, then we definitely need to make a decision about AG. I also wouldn't be heartbroken if he was let go this year either.

I think there is a better chance AG is a head coach next year than there is that we let him go.  

That being said, I agree the injuries have hurt but again, I have to keep reiterating this, our D isn't as bad as people think they are seeing. Its not great, but no D in the league is truly great outside of maybe Baltimore and SF.  Everyone else is giving up almost 20 a game.  Our pass D needs to improve, but it doesn't need to go from zero to hero.  Some slight improvement from a pass rush, which we saw some with limited play from Irvin, and hopefully adding Houston back later this month will be huge.  Maybe we get CJGJ back which would help a ton.  I liked what we saw from Campbell yesterday but again we were missing our top LB this game.  I am not worried about out D, but I would like to see some improvements.  As you said this team isn't built for the D to be amazing.  It just needs to be good enough. 

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Statistics aren't telling the whole story.  They feasted on some not very good teams early in the year.  I don't think AG should be fired during the season but the defense isn't playing well at all.  They couldn't get a stop after the first quarter.  I don't need to talk about the pass-rush because there isn't much to talk about.  It isn't great.  I don't think we are expecting an elite defense but there are enough pieces in-place to make them respectable.  They don't look respectable at all right now.

We have a top 5 run D in the league.  Teams are not even trying to run on us now but also we went up 21-0 early so they abandoned the run.  That is a very good aspect of our D. 

The pass D is worse for sure, but also there is more volume.  And I don't think holding the Chiefs down and holding two teams to less than 6 points is feasting on bad teams.  That is impressive no matter who you play.  Again, the D was put in bad spots 4 times against GB, well three because one was returned for a TD.  Yesterday was rough and could be due some to us taking our foot off the gas and losing momentum but we stepped up and got the stop when we needed it.  Our D had us in the game with the Packers and the fake punt killed our chances.  Without that, we win.  Without the fumble for a TD, we win.  Not blaming the offense for 6 turnovers in two games causing points to be scored is ignoring a key part of the story.  Not looking around the league at other teams is ignoring a key part of the story.  When you score a lot, other teams will scramble to score a lot too.  Our offense forces other teams to be aggressive and it hurts our defensive numbers, just like it hurts Philly and Miami's. So yest stats don't tell the whole story, but neither is anyone else in here.  

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think there is a better chance AG is a head coach next year than there is that we let him go. 

I don't agree with this but I also suspect nothing is going to happen with AG. He's going to stay as our DC and he's not going to be fired. He might get some HC interviews but I don't see him being given the opportunity.

Ben Johnson is out the door IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't agree with this but I also suspect nothing is going to happen with AG. He's going to stay as our DC and he's not going to be fired. He might get some HC interviews but I don't see him being given the opportunity.

Ben Johnson is out the door IMO. 

There are a couple of factors with AG that make me think he will be a HC next year.  One is he has improved our D, even if people don't think he has.  The numbers and the record don't lie. 

Another is that its about leadership and motivation, as we see with Dan Campbell and the Raiders are finding with Pierce.  

Finally is the racial piece.  I won't get political but the NFL is pushing for more coaches of color and he is one of the top candidates.  I think he will interview well like DC did here which will lead to a job opportunity.  

Ben Johnson likely is gone due to his production on the field, but I think some of these failures from coordinators is going to change things in the hiring process.  More teams are going to be looking for the guy who can organize and motivate over being a pure X's and O's guy.  I don't know how JOhnson interviews or what his demeanor is in that area but coming from DC, he likely gets a plus in that area.  But failures from Saleh, Gannon, Staley, and Eberflus will make teams focus more on the leadership than just being the guy with the hottest offense.  Its why Bienemy couldn't get a job IMO. 

42 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I will say this about the Lions:  Every good team goes through some kind of slump during a 17-game season.  The 49rs didn't look great for three games but are looking pretty tough right now. The Lions have plenty of time to get some things right for the stretch run and the playoffs.

I agree with this.  Too many fans are talking like we are 3-9 instead of 9-3.  I get that we don't have experience being in this position other than maybe @diehardlionfan, but we need to take a breath and look at where we are at.  Sure we can and need some tweaks, but it isn't a throw it away and start over situation. 

LT LG OC RG RT          
  Decker Jackson Ragnow Glasgow Sewell   OL LEFT RIGHT IOL
OVR 55.0 48.8 71.4 76.0 80.4   66.3 51.9 78.2 65.4
RBLK 51.0 50.2 75.9 71.5 81.4   66.0 50.6 76.5 65.9
PBLK 73.6 72.8 40.2 86.1 73.6   69.3 73.2 79.9 66.4

SNAPS 28 28 10 21 28          
PRESS 1 1 1 1 1   5 2 2 3
HUR 0 1 0 1 0   2 1 1 2
HIT 1 0 1 0 0   2 1 0 1
SACK 0 0 0 0 1   1 0 1 0

PRESS 3.6% 3.6% 10.0% 4.8% 3.6%          
HUR 0.0% 3.6% 0.0% 4.8% 0.0%