Why is this team's fanbase so uptight?

wackywabbit

We literally have the most wins in the conference going into the bye. Over 12 games, we've probably spent the equivalent of a bathroom break with a deficit. How many pages of discussion do we need of what went wrong in a double digit road win?

There's literally no point in following this sport as a fan if you aren't happy with the season so far. Every single topic we're digging in to overanalyze at this point isn't going to "matter" for how the season ends. Boo hoo we're probably most likely not winning the super bowl, like literally every team ever at this point in the season. I honestly feel like we need a real a** whooping type loss like the SB winning Ravens team's had to get the energy reset here.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to write criticisms than it is to write expressions of joy. So most of my joy watching the Ravens happens IRL, and my criticisms get posted on this board. 

Also, since Harbaugh has been in my life as a coach for the past 15 years, I feel no need to hesitate when commenting on him. He's like a friend or cousin at this point. 

• Like 2

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-playoff-wins-since-2013

Id venture to say the answer to “why is this fanbase so uptight?” probably has something to do with us being tied for the 2nd least playoff wins in the entire NFL since the SB win in 2012. 2 total since 2012, and 1 since 2014.

You’re wrongly assigning us a “super bowl or bust” mentality. We have more of a “hey let’s try and have any semblance of playoff success whatsoever for the first time since I was a sophomore in college” mentality. And when things happen in regular season games that look as though they may jeopardize that down the line in the postseason, people are going to comment on it.

Yeah it’s fun to watch the wins and enjoy them in the regular season. In our real lives all of us do, i’m sure. But when illustrious franchises like the Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars have given their fans more frequent meaningful wins the last decade, we’re allowed to take regular season success with a grain of salt.  

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

Yeah like @Ray Reed said, I just don't really enjoy winning in the regular season if it doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Playoffs are all that matters, and if we win there the fanbase won't be as uptight but this franchise has had literally zero playoff success since Lamar took over, so it's kind of reasonable IMO to be talking about how the team can improve every week even if we're 9-3.

I mean, for goodness sakes we are 4 years removed from going 14-2 and being first round KO'd by a pathetic Titans team.......

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah like @Ray Reed said, I just don't really enjoy winning in the regular season if it doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Playoffs are all that matters, and if we win there the fanbase won't be as uptight but this franchise has had literally zero playoff success since Lamar took over, so it's kind of reasonable IMO to be talking about how the team can improve every week even if we're 9-3.

I mean, for goodness sakes we are 4 years removed from going 14-2 and being first round KO'd by a pathetic Titans team.......

Thanks for reminding me about the game that Greg Roman went into business for himself. Ugh...

But to stay on topic, I wholeheartedly agree with @Ray Reed @AFlaccoSeagulls

It's always great to see the boys win any game. But now, we're ready to see that translate into playoff wins. In MY opinion, anything short of an AFC Championship game appearance is a failure.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:36 PM, wackywabbit said:

We literally have the most wins in the conference going into the bye. Over 12 games, we've probably spent the equivalent of a bathroom break with a deficit. How many pages of discussion do we need of what went wrong in a double digit road win?

There's literally no point in following this sport as a fan if you aren't happy with the season so far. Every single topic we're digging in to overanalyze at this point isn't going to "matter" for how the season ends. Boo hoo we're probably most likely not winning the super bowl, like literally every team ever at this point in the season. I honestly feel like we need a real a** whooping type loss like the SB winning Ravens team's had to get the energy reset here.

I’ve been largely happy with this squad. I feel the offense while not consistent, doesn’t seem to have the same aggressive highs, lows, and arrogance that it’s had in years past. Lamar has been much more even keeled than in years past where he seemed to approach the game with far more emotions and that would bite us in the bottom come playoff time as that hype would more often turn to panic and trying to do too much.

I like Lamar’s energy and I like our redzone and third down efficiency. I like that this team has been able to win games while having some guys in and out of the lineup, also the fact that even with our injuries many haven’t been season ending types. I like this squads chances. As long as it can develop an identity offensively, I think we can do something special. I definitely see an AFCCG in this squads future as long as the injury luck holds. The only team that has me a little scared is the 49ers and their pass rush, but against the AFC contenders I like our chances. The defense is very real and I think the offense has too many weapons that we can’t figure out ways to put points on the board.

Watching this defense has been absolutely exciting. It’s like watching the 2006 and 2011 defenses all over again… though hopefully this team finishes more like the 2000 defense did.

I actually agree with a lot of you that the mark of a successful year is at least making the AFC Championship game. I just think we overreact to a lot of the flux and struggles within a season that are normal and don't have much bearing on how the playoffs will go. Our franchise in particular has turned it way up or way down when reaching the playoffs.

• Like 1

This year I expect that we will be turning it up. My only negative with this squad is that it lacks that absolute dog on the offense in a leadership position.

Lamar has transitioned to more of a calming presence on the offense similar to Flacco. Which is good because Lamar as a dog was too high and low. The current iteration I think gives the squad the best chance at consistency.

Flowers and Andrews are the closest thing to that Anquan Boldin and Shannon Sharpe type of dog to galvanize the unit, but Andrews is hurt and Flowers is a rookie.

If there is a true weakness to this squad, I think it could be that mentality wise, I’m not sure there’s enough dog on the offensive end. Though the defense has it in spades and perhaps that’ll be enough.