War's offseason thoughts

warfelg

I know we're still a few weeks out from being at this point, but I think right now the only thing that's going to change is our draft position a few spots up or down.  So I think it's a fair time to start thinking some about the future more in depth.

A quick look at the way we sit:

Top 51: $163,312,373

Space: $-6,941,234

Free Agents: Levi Wallace, Montravius Adams, Miles Killebrew, Markis Golden, Kwon Alexander, James Pierre, Armon Watts, Chandon Sullivan, Miles Boykin, Mason Rudolph, Anthony McFarland (RFA), Chapelle Russell (RFA), Renell Wren (ERFA), Dylan Cook (ERFA), Elijah Riley

CUTS - Allen Robinson (Saves $10MM), Nate Herbig (saves $4MM)

PAYCUT - Patrick Peterson:: $9,775,000 to $3,500,000 ($6,275,000 savings)

EXTENSION - Cam Heyward:: 3 year, $30MM extension, $8MM guaranteed, tied to restructure of his $22MM cap hit, bringing year 1 to ~$10MM.

James Daniels:: 3 year, $36MM extension, $20MM guaranteed, tied to restructure bringing down year 1 cap to ~$8MM.

TRADES - Chukwuma Okorafor to Las Vegas for a 4th and future conditional 6th (5th for snaps played, 4th for making playoffs) ($3,083,334 dead)

Here's a risky shot trade I'm looking at:

Diontae Johnson to Arizona with a 3rd for Budda Baker and a 4th.  Tied to that I would be handing Baker a 3 year extension for 3 years, $46MM, $21MM guaranteed, restructuring his current deal for a year 1 cap hit at $5MM.

SIMPLE RESTRUCTURES - TJ Watt (~$13MM savings), Minkah Fitzpatrick (~$10MM savings)

NEW CAP SPACE - $63,309,167

FA TARGETS:

Jaylon Johnson, CB, Chi

Tee Higgins, WR, Cincy

Jordyn Brooks, LB, Sea

Montravius Adams, NT, Pitt

Miles Killebrew, S, Pitt

Boston Scott, RB, Philly

Markus Golden, EDGE, Pitt

Myles Boykin, WR, Pitt

Terrell Edmunds, S, Tenn

Yes, I'm going really big game hunting here with my top 3 targets.  All the others are minimum or close to minimum signings as some depth parts.  But those top 3 really set up a great spot for both sides of the ball as the ILB tandem would be set, we not only strengthen our WR's but weaken our divisional rival. and with Johnson we could have our corners set for the next 7 years.

This still leaves RT, future DL, WR3, CB3 as some early draft targets.

DRAFT -

RD 1 - Emeka Egbuka WR OSU

RD 2 - Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon

RD 4 (via ARI) - Kiran Amegabjie RT Yale

RD 4 (via LVR) - Jalen McMillian WR Washington

RD 4 - T'Vondre Sweat NT Texas

RD 4 - Josh Newton CB TCU

RD 6 - Nazir Stackhouse DT Georgia

RD 7 - Tyreek Chappell CB Texas A&M

STARTING OFFENSE -

QB - Kenny Pickett

RB - Najee Harris/Jaylen Warren

TE - Pat Freiermuth

TE Depth - Darnell Washington, Connor Heyward

WR1 - George Pickens

WR2 - Tee Higgins

WR3 - Emeka Egbuka

WR depth - Jalen McMillian, Calvin Austin, Myles Boykin

LT - Broderick Jones

LG - Isaac Seumalu

C - Jackson Powers-Johnson

RG - James Daniels

RT - Kiran Amegabjie

Depth - Dan Moore, Mason Cole, Spencer Anderson

STARTING DEFENSE - 

DE - Cam Heyward

NT - Montravius Adams

DE - Larry Ogunjobi

DL Depth - Keanu Benton, T'Vondre Sweat, Nazir Stackhouse

LEDGE - TJ Watt

REDGE - Alex Highsmith

EDGE Depth - Nick Herbig, Markus Golden

ILB - Cole Holcomb, Jordyn Brooks

ILB Depth - Elandon Roberts, Mykal Walker

CB1 - Joey Porter Jr

CB2 - Jaylon Johnson

CB3 - Patrick Peterson

CB Depth - Darius Rush, Josh Newton

FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick

SS - Budda Baker

S Depth - Terrell Edmunds, Miles Killabrew, Trenton Thompson

You had me at FA Tee Higgins and DT Sweat in the draft…no reason to keep DT Adams and Draft Stackhouse…one true NT is enough…imo, and Sweat can push the pocket so he’s the guy for us. Benton can play anywhere on our line except the edge.

Edited by rlon
Typos

I wasn't really a fan of switching Diontae with Higgins, until I saw the draft. I was worried that we wouldn't have any WRs that can separate, but I like the kid from tOSU. I would be really happy if the off-season played out this way. Adding Budda, Brooks, and Johnson to our defense is downright unfair. I like the additions to the d-line. I'd disagree with @rlon on Adams too. I think you can never have enough depth on the d-line. Adams also provides tons of energy and a decent pass rush. I'm not sure I want him starting, but I wouldn't be upset with bringing him back. I think we'd probably be in SB contention with an off-season like this. 

46 minutes ago, rlon said:

You had me at FA Tee Higgins and DT Sweat in the draft…no reason to keep DT Adams and Draft Stackhouse…one true NT is enough…imo, and Sweat can push the pocket so he’s the guy for us<<<<<<

Also, apparently Sweat is a monster receiving threat in the red zone ;)

1 hour ago, rlon said:

You had me at FA Tee Higgins and DT Sweat in the draft…no reason to keep DT Adams and Draft Stackhouse…one true NT is enough…imo, and Sweat can push the pocket so he’s the guy for us. Benton can play anywhere on our line except the edge.

Stackhouse would be a long shot to make the roster anyways. 

Benton is starter or a rotation

Trice  - where is he

Holcomb had major injury, he will be reserve until he proves everything is back to near what it was

sure like the Budda part though, that would help the secondary a bit as would Johnson. That could be elite . Rell returning could be beneficial but he won't start but also might suppress Thompson which I think is a mistake. Thompson  should be S3 IMO since he has range and is a ballhawk 

Your take for next year would really make for a solid team, especially the trades and UFA signings. Now I know you aren't colbert in disguise, but can  we get you a job working with Weidl and Khan 

will NT Sweat last to RD4 though? This is when trading down for extra picks  or trading for extra picks really is a factor.  Nothing wrong with extra RD4 picks if you get players like Herbig and Sweat etc.  I like the idea of getting such a player, it's what would really solidify the front, let Benton play 3-5 tech while Sweat occupies blockers.  Cam can be a rotational vet to help preserve his health due to age and at the same time Benton will become dominant.  

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Stackhouse would be a long shot to make the roster anyways. 

After watching the beginning of this game, I have a DND grade for Stackhouse. Getting blown back, no motor, no thanks. 

Edited by rlon
Again

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Benton is starter or a rotation

Trice  - where is he

Holcomb had major injury, he will be reserve until he proves everything is back to near what it was

sure like the Budda part though, that would help the secondary a bit as would Johnson. That could be elite . Rell returning could be beneficial but he won't start but also might suppress Thompson which I think is a mistake. Thompson  should be S3 IMO since he has range and is a ballhawk 

Your take for next year would really make for a solid team, especially the trades and UFA signings. Now I know you aren't colbert in disguise, but can  we get you a job working with Weidl and Khan 

will NT Sweat last to RD4 though? This is when trading down for extra picks  or trading for extra picks really is a factor.  Nothing wrong with extra RD4 picks if you get players like Herbig and Sweat etc.  I like the idea of getting such a player, it's what would really solidify the front, let Benton play 3-5 tech while Sweat occupies blockers.  Cam can be a rotational vet to help preserve his health due to age and at the same time Benton will become dominant.  

Sweat will go end of the 2nd beginning of the 3rd IMHO.

13 minutes ago, rlon said:

He has a more diverse skill set than Hampton, that’s all I know. 

if this player is comparable to Hampton or Wilfork, then I can't see him lasting mast RD1.  Unless  somehow none of the teams need such a player or value  him that high.  These types of players are rare ,  and coveted by the team that drafts them.  Just imagine adding a player like this to our DL , it would really set the DL up for years