Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

This is the major problem I see with all the QBs in this draft. 

Ex I thought Lawrence and so did everyone else on the planet would take the NFL by storm but it didn't happen he needs help. I don't see one QB with his skill level and physical ability in this group by a wide margin.

That the problem for today's prospects. Pats have nothing to offer, they are horrible on the offensive side with several holes to fill.

JJ McCarthy might be the best fit with his skills. He not the best by no means but as I mentioned, trade down the 1st and pick up help. He fits based on the current roster.

Let me do the trading/ picking  keep everyone on the Pats away from the draft .😁 Especially trading picks.

I have my eye on the Cards and the Commanders to teams that are run by egos and fools.

EX Commanders, with trade, you come out with high pick and additional  picks at the top 2nd RD.

Note that my concern taking WR high in the draft. You do that, he is waving his hand all season !!!!!! 

Yes it not flashy but you have to block or you don't have a chance.

You’re not wrong that there are no saviors. The team needs to get better in a lot of different areas before they’re reading to be competitive.  That’s true no matter who the QB is. 

That said, I believe the gap in talent between a Williams/Maye and a guy like McCarthy or Nix, is wide. I know it’s not usually NE’s style, but for once, I’d like the talented guy. For me, the gap is worth the “loss” of not trading down for a couple extra picks. 

Look, I’ll probably find a way to mentally justify it if things did shake out that way, lol. But this is just my hope. Take the talent this time. They won’t carry the team, but they can mask flaws that the team inevitably will have - not many teams out there like Philly and SF. The one that I probably wouldn’t be too too upset about doing that strategy for is Daniels. 

31 minutes ago, Soko said:

I know it’s not usually NE’s style, but for once, I’d like the talented guy. For me, the gap is worth the “loss” of not trading down for a couple extra picks. 

Two things here.

1. Your thinking BB trading down so I understand what your saying. Take him out of the equation.  Let me do the trading 😁 Trade down I come out with Olu Fashanu, Joe Alt, Malik Nabers or Jayden Daniels. Not  with Dalton Keene, Thornton, Joejuan Williams and my favorite Strange.

2. You stay in the range so you can get the quality guy. Commanders have the 5th pick perfect to trade. They need a big splash new owner, as in the movie Draft day,  trade scene,   ROOKIE GM !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRRDuR7OBM

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

Two things here.

1. Your thinking BB trading down so I understand what your saying. Take him out of the equation.  Let me do the trading 😁 Trade down I come out with Olu Fashanu, Joe Alt, Malik Nabers or Jayden Daniels. Not  with Dalton Keene, Thornton, Joejuan Williams and my favorite Strange.

2. You stay in the range so you can get the quality guy. Commanders have the 5th pick perfect to trade. They need a big splash new owner, as in the movie Draft day,  trade scene,   ROOKIE GM !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRRDuR7OBM

For sure, it’s definitely dependent on who the hypothetical trade partner is, what the compensation would be, and what the team shapes up like by draft night. 

If the team could walk away with Daniels + Alt or Fashanu, you won’t hear a peep from me. I’d take enough copium to be cool with Alt/Fashanu + McCarthy/Penix. Nix is too questionable for me, as of now. Ewers stays, I think. 

Still, Williams/Maye + maybe a Coleman or Leggette in the top of R2? I can’t say no to that.

One way or another, there’s going to be a blue chip + solid second tier player available with NE’s first two picks, I think. Unfortunately for us, it means that one of tackle/WR/QB isn’t going to be addressed by one of those, barring a trade up or dream trade down scenario (like Arizona giving us both FRPs, which would never happen).

24 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

get MHJ and trade back up for Penix or Daniels at QB. Or settle on McCarthy or Nix round 2. bolster oline in fa

the fa id sign are javon kinlaw (dt), josh reynolds & tyler boyd (wr), harrison bryant (te), jonah williams (rt/ol), michael onwenu (lg/ol), gardner minshew (qb), austin ekeler (rb), andrew van ginkel (olb), josey jewell (mlb), antonie winfield jr (db)

kraft is spending big this season. he will spend the money and move on from belichick then put mayo in charge with the same gm guy they have now. id say belichick and o’brien get traded together to the panthers.

goodbye hunter henry, kyle dugger, mike gesicki, davon godchaux, adrian phillips, jalen mills, calvin anderson, chris board, tyquan thornton, jc jackson, ezekiel elliott, josh uche, devante parker, juju smith schuster, cosy davis, myles bryant, mack wilson, ty montgomery, bailey zappe, vederian lowe, raekwon mcmillan, jalen reagor, and possibly cole strange although still doubtful on that one.

mac jones, trent brown, chad ryland, david andrews, kayshon boutte, conor mcdermott, matthew slater, jahlani tavai, and brenden schooler… eh i think they all have better shots at sticking around but i doubt all of them will be back. i think anfernee jennings would be fine to have back as depth but im sure he might look for a job elsewhere.

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

the fa id sign are javon kinlaw (dt), josh reynolds & tyler boyd (wr), harrison bryant (te), jonah williams (rt/ol), michael onwenu (lg/ol), gardner minshew (qb), austin ekeler (rb), andrew van ginkel (olb), josey jewell (mlb), antonie winfield jr (db)

tier 1 fa targets/priority^^^^

tier 2 fa targets: mycole pruitt (te), keisean nixon (kr/nb), jalen guyton (wr), azeez al-shaair (lb), boston scott (rb), brandon powell (wr), chase mclaughlin (k)

tier 3 fa targets: julian blackmon (s), zack moss (rb), baker mayfield (qb), juan jennings (wr), ross dwelley (te), isaiah mckenzie (wr/pr), antonio gibson (rb), k’lavon chaisson (olb), robert tonyan (te), jihad ward (de), charlie woerner (te)

entrenched vets like tyron smith (dal lt), kevin zeitler (ba rg), and michael pierce (bal nt), would be nice chase fa’s but i doubt they’d be interested in the pats this late in their careers now that brady is long gone.

This is  just me, 

I hate high price FA. Without doing any research I say they mostly blow up in your face.

I do though love the low level FA gems the help fill out a roster as long as the position rank after his name is NOT specials teams !!!!!!

One of the main reason is the age they sign the big money contract. You have to be very careful, big money kills the drive in a lot of players.

Plus you are trap if they go rogue with the guaranteed money.  Ex Pat WR Brown.

EX  JJu hasn't done jack ship once he was paid. No effort to get better within the offense.  I would pull a Mark Davis and cut his butt screw the money and the cap.

11 hours ago, m haynes said:

JJu hasn't done jack ship once he was paid. No effort to get better within the offense.  I would pull a Mark Davis and cut his butt screw the money and the cap.

Same or trade him but give away a draft pick to move him without taking as much dead cap. I hope they do that for Parker as well.

I do though love the low level FA gems the help fill out a roster

Mostly the type of FA I prioritized.

You have to be very careful, big money kills the drive in a lot of players.

True but that’s why there are specific players who you reward for not only their production at their age on the free market but also for their intangibles. For example, Antonie Winefield Jr. is a leader at a young age who if signed won’t just change who he is as a person in the building overnight. You have to go after good people as much as good players when handing out good money.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Same or trade him but give away a draft pick to move him without taking as much dead cap. I hope they do that for Parker as well.

Mostly the type of FA I prioritized.

True but that’s why there are specific players who you reward for not only their production at their age on the free market but also for their intangibles. For example, Antonie Winefield Jr. is a leader at a young age who if signed won’t just change who he is as a person in the building overnight. You have to go after good people as much as good players when handing out good money.

Your dead on point with reply's.  I think Winfield is perfect signing, heart of a champion. He gives a crap that all you can ask for.

Perfect signing one less draft choice wasted on defense. And covers a desperate need FS. Also pair him with Jabrill Peppers same mind set and toughness. My type of players.

Both have a little bit of Rodney !!!!!!

This is as involved as I've ever been in a college football season, so I'll admit that I have a bunch of guys I love for the Patriots. 

QB - Jayden Daniels will be a top 5 pick when it's all said and done. He's electric, throws a beautiful deep pass while still being able to throw a nice touch pass too. His progress throughout the season has been incredible. He has a lower floor than some other QB's in this draft, but I honestly think he has the highest ceiling of an QB this year. My concern is that i'm not sure he would reach his full potential with BB/O'Brien. He's a little older but still has room to grow, so I could see BB loving him if he's still around. 

QB - Michael Penix I'd imagine goes in the top 15, unless his medicals cause him to drop out of the top 100. He's a leader, incredibly accurate and you can tell his teammates would do everything for him. His story is incredible and I'll be rooting for him no matter where he ends up. Id want to make sure I have a great offense line to protect him and an offense which allows him to focus more on that intermediate to deep passing game. My concern is that i'm not sure he would reach his full potential with BB/O'Brien. 

QB - Drake Maye is interesting and could honestly go either way for me. He's got talent, but makes a lot of Mac level plays too... except he gets away with them in college because he's more talented. Is he playing hero ball because he's basically the only top QB without an all star cast around him? Maybe, but he does a lot of stuff that will get him in trouble at the next level. I would be happy if the Patriots took him at 2 because he may be the player who fits their current system the best.. but I don't think he's Herbert like many think. Personally, as of today I would trade back from 2 if the Patriots have that pick. I say that because I like Daniels more and I think you could convince a team to give you a lot to get him. Washington is the perfect example.. they are pick 4.. Patriots Pick 2.. I think you could trade back 2 spots, pick up one of their 2 2nd round picks this season and get another 2nd next year. I do that all day.

RB - Trey Benson can do it all, he would be an awesome player to pair with Stevenson for a year then take over as the full time RB. Unfortunately, i'm guessing he goes late 2nd and he would be a luxury pick for the Pats. 

RB - Will Shipley won't test great (mid 4.5's) i'm thinking.. which could cause him to fall a bit. What he lacks in long speed he makes up for in short area quickness though, which is exactly what they need. I'm not worried about 50 yard runs, I want a safety blanket who can take a negative play and turn it into a 5-10 yard gain. He's a baller and has receiving ability. Especially with a young QB this team desperately needs a 3rd down back and I think he can do the job. 

RB - Bucky Irving I see kind of like a slightly worse version of Shipley. He's probably faster in a straight line, but 10lbs lighter.. worse in pass protection, not as twitchy,etc. Shipley I'd spend a 4th on.. Irving I'd probably be hoping to grab him in the 6th

RB - Jonathon Brooks was probably a top 40 pick if he didn't get injured. I'm sure he's going to go back to school, but if he decides against it I would totally draft and redshirt him with a 4th round pick. He can do it all. 

RB - Marshawn Lloyd isn't talked about at all... but he's another guy who could be seen as a nice change up RB. He has been pretty good in blitz pickup and has some experience in the passing game. Another guy on day 3 that is worth a flyer to be a potential 3rd down back. 

I'm not drafting any WR unless Troy Brown is fired as a heads up.. 

WR - Marvin Harrison Jr is awesome.. but call me crazy, I wouldn't want the Patriots to draft him. I think he's so hyped up that you could get a haul for trading back. By the time the draft is here I think a team would be dumb enough to trade a haul for him. 

WR - Malik Nabers is a favorite of mine. Back when people believed Daniels was a late 1st, early 2nd round pick I wanted Nabers in the top 10 to pair with Daniels. Unfortunately, that's not going to be possible anymore unless the Patriots are able to trade BB for a 1st. Now if you could trade BB for say pick 15.. and the Patriots have pick 2, I'm figuring out a way to go back to 5ish to grab Daniels then get back into the top 10 and get Nabers. Pairing the two of them would be incredibly fun. He's a YAC machine

WR - Brian Thomas Jr is my backup for the pair a qb tandem. He's a different type of receiver from Nabers and is less proven, but he makes plays. In the 2nd round he would be really fun to watch. Big and physical, but actually has speed to go along with it. 

WR - Malachi Corley is a Yac machine, if Bill O'Brien is still here I think he would pair really well with Pop at the Z. He has the twitch you need in this type of offense and I could see him and Pop causing opponents nightmares. He's probably a 3rd round pick because of the depth of this class.. but if you're going QB in the 1st and LT in the 2nd.. Corley is an awesome option in the 3rd. 

WR - Xavier Legette has looked awesome.. has AJ Brown potential but i'm hesitant to put him in my top 40 like I've started to see him. He is a late bloomer, will be a 23 year old rookie and only has one year of production. He could be awesome, but I worry he's sort of a man amongst boys... I need to watch more. 

WR - Rome Odunze is a baller, 21 and 2 years of college production. I have 2 concerns with him.. his speed will be the difference between being a #1 or not, and I feel he's slightly overhyped because of team success. If he goes in the top 10-15 like many are saying, I'm not taking that risk in a class this deep.. but if he's there in the 20's, i'm thoroughly intrigued. Courtland Sutton feels like a good comp, I want to see him at the Senior bowl before making a final decision. Maybe if he dominates there he will be closer to a top 10 pick. 

WR - Emeka Egbuka feels like a forgotten guy in this class. He's not a #1, but if he's there at the top of the 2nd I'm dropping him into that Z spot for the next decade and plenty happy with the decision. 

WR - Xavier Worthy has been described as tall Zay Flowers and I can certainly see it. My concern is he's 160 pounds.. we've already seen pop get a couple concussions as a rookie, do we really want to create an entire offense centered around two guys who are under 180lbs? If he's there in the 2nd, the talent is likely too much to pass up.. but i'm not taking him in the 1st unless he weighs over 180 and runs a low 4.4 at the combine. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:48 PM, m haynes said:

This is  just me, 

I hate high price FA. Without doing any research I say they mostly blow up in your face.

I do though love the low level FA gems the help fill out a roster as long as the position rank after his name is NOT specials teams !!!!!!

One of the main reason is the age they sign the big money contract. You have to be very careful, big money kills the drive in a lot of players.

Plus you are trap if they go rogue with the guaranteed money.  Ex Pat WR Brown.

EX  JJu hasn't done jack ship once he was paid. No effort to get better within the offense.  I would pull a Mark Davis and cut his butt screw the money and the cap.

They definitely tend to be either boom or bust. Some of NE’s best players have been pricey FAs (Gilmore, Judon, off the top of my head), so it’s hard to just toss them out completely. Sometimes paying those types of guys works, and, as we’ve seen, sometimes they don’t. But without a QB and a plethora of cap space, I think now’s the time to take those sort of swings. 

I’d see if KC wants JuJu back. MVS is likely out of town, I think they’d entertain bringing him back for sure.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

They definitely tend to be either boom or bust. Some of NE’s best players have been pricey FAs (Gilmore, Judon, off the top of my head), so it’s hard to just toss them out completely. Sometimes paying those types of guys works, and, as we’ve seen, sometimes they don’t. But without a QB and a plethora of cap space, I think now’s the time to take those sort of swings. 

I’d see if KC wants JuJu back. MVS is likely out of town, I think they’d entertain bringing him back for sure.

Here the list  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agents-by-position/

I would look at my return on investment with each player building a roster.  Basically price is right.

Baker Mayfield not a big fan however upgrade bridge guy. I don't touch vets because we won't see the SB in 3/4 years. Kirk Cousins no thanks.

Calvin Ridley  He a professional WR and you won't have to break the bank.  I love his game.

Tee Higgins, Mike Evans  To big of a price tag. I like Higgins however not for the Pats. He's 2 WR and we need a speed guy. He wants 1st WR money, hell no. Evans to old for the Pats 3/4 yr time line.  Note,  I'm sick and tired with BIG WRs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antoine Winfield Jr. IMO he's perfect, free safety. He has a little Rodney in him. He would be great with Peppers. I loved him in the draft. Put him in your backfield and get a CB. Now you have a dominate secondary. Another is Grant Delpit depends on the money history injuries however he was a high rated player coming out. I like him as well.

Kyle Dugger   IMO he is a good player with average skills in coverage. I'm not braking the bank especially after drafting Mapu who players the same position. Ya I know he's a fan favorite however top dollar hell no. He does make plays but you have to look at the hole picture. He's 30 in 3 years. You only have so much money and that money better be going to the offense and if you spend on defense it better be a big need, IMO that CB, FS, LB, DL in that order.

Other players listed I don't know them well enough to comment such as TEs another major need.

Edited by m haynes