Teddy Bridgewater to retire after season

Forge

On 12/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, iknowcool said:

He just doesn't have that dawg in him.  When I say that, I'm not saying he doesn't love football or anything.  I'm sure he does.  But he just doesn't have that edge to him that most top QBs have.  At least in Carolina, it always felt like he was just content with what was going on.  

He "just doesn't have that dawg in him" is harsh. Dude spent the better part of 2 years rehabbing his knee injury, and has had concussion issues too. Injuries take their toll mentally too, and when he's made $100MM, who can blame him for being concerned about his health?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He "just doesn't have that dawg in him" is harsh. Dude spent the better part of 2 years rehabbing his knee injury, and has had concussion issues too. Injuries take their toll mentally too, and when he's made $100MM, who can blame him for being concerned about his health?

I'm not blaming him for being concerned about his health.  I'm just explaining why, at least from my perspective, part of the reason (certainly not the only reason) he didn't work out.  Most top QBs have an edge to them.  Bridgewater doesn't.  In Carolina he seemed content just being a starting QB.

And again this isn't to say he didn't love football.  Obviously it takes a lot of hard work to rehab from what he went through.  Not taking that away from him.  But I just never got that winning mentality vibe from him that I get from other top guys.

Edited by iknowcool

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm not blaming him for being concerned about his health.  I'm just explaining why, at least from my perspective, part of the reason (certainly not the only reason) he didn't work out.  Most top QBs have an edge to them.  Bridgewater doesn't.  In Carolina he seemed content just being a starting QB.

And I'm saying "he just doesn't have it" is very different than "injuries sapped it".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And I'm saying "he just doesn't have it" is very different than "injuries sapped it".

If the end result is that he no longer had that edge to him, then how is what I said wrong?  

Injuries suck.  Nobody is denying that.  But he isn't the only player to deal with injuries.  Again, I'm not blaming him for how the injuries changed his game, if you feel that is the case, but at the end of the day we can only judge what we saw on and off the field.  And I saw a guy who by the time he was in Carolina was just content.  Now if you want to say the reason for that is because of the injuries, go ahead... but the end result is still him not having an edge to him.  Unless you feel that he did.

Edited by iknowcool

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If the end result is that he no longer had that edge to him, then how is what I said wrong? 

"Just doesn't have" isn't the same as "no longer has".

Is it outright 'wrong'? I don't know I'm not the arbiter of universal right and wrong. But that's not what I said: I said it's harsh. And it is, it omits the entirely of the context. Similarly, would you say it's appropriate for me to say someone who was paralyzed in an accident "just can't walk"? It's not "wrong" - they can't, but it's dismissive.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"Just doesn't have" isn't the same as "no longer has".

Is it outright 'wrong'? I don't know I'm not the arbiter of universal right but that's not what I said. I said it's harsh. And it is, it omits the entirely of the context. Similarly, would you say it's appropriate for me to say someone who was paralyzed in an accident "just can't walk"? It's not "wrong" - they can't, but it's dismissive.

How is that similar at all?  There is something preventing that paralyzed person from walking.  There is nothing stopping Bridgewater from putting more work in or caring more about Ws and Ls.  He's not the only NFL player to suffer a serious injury.  I'm not judging him for it, I'm just explaining why he didn't work out, at least post-Minnesota.

But at the end of the day it doesn't just come down to that.  He had other flaws too.  That is just one I noticed almost immediately in his time here and it jumped out to me so much because it was such a difference between what we were used to with Cam or Delhomme.  Maybe I am being harsh, but I'm just calling it how I see it.    

Edited by iknowcool

Just now, iknowcool said:

How is that similar at all?  There is something preventing that paralyzed person from walking.  There is nothing stopping Bridgewater from putting more work in or caring more about Ws and Ls.

This is precisely the portion of the post I disagree with, and exactly why I consider it dismissive. Mental fatigue and burnout from repeated severe injuries are not nothing.

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

How is that similar at all?  There is something preventing that paralyzed person from walking.  There is nothing stopping Bridgewater from putting more work in or caring more about Ws and Ls.  He's not the only NFL player to suffer a serious injury.  I'm not judging him for it, I'm just explaining why he didn't work out, at least post-Minnesota.

But at the end of the day it doesn't just come down to that.  He had other flaws too.  That is just one I noticed almost immediately in his time here and it jumped out to me so much because it was such a difference between what we were used to with Cam or Delhomme.  Maybe I am being harsh, but I'm just calling it how I see it.    

His attitude really doesn't mean much. I've watched Josh Dobbs play, who will definitely showboat when things are going well and slam his helmet when he makes a mistake.

It doesn't change him at all as a QB. Bridgewater's calm demeanor doesn't change him either.