Desai Replaced by Patricia

EaglesPeteC

12 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

If only they had promoted a certain someone on that staff...

I wasn't a fan of promoting Denard Wilson at the time, but that could not have been worse than Desai at this point. Hard for me to look at Gannon's D and want to promote someone from within though. I wanted a fresh look, but as they say sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I wasn't a fan of promoting Denard Wilson at the time, but that could not have been worse than Desai at this point. Hard for me to look at Gannon's D and want to promote someone from within though. I wanted a fresh look, but as they say sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Why exactly? He's not a Gannon disciple and came up as a coach in very different defensive philosophies.  What he did do was manage to adapt to a defensive philosophy that is probably not is own and was highly successful as the DB coach/passing game coordinator.  He showed something neither Gannon nor Desai have shown...an ability to adapt.  The proof is in the pudding.  The Eagles go from 1 to 23rd in passing yards allowed/game in one year and the Ravens go from 28th to 4th.  While Desai has now taken not 1, but 2 defenses and in a year turned them from a top 10 defense to a bottom 5 defense.  The players also reportedly wanted Wilson and he was also willing to stay on staff even though he didn't get the job...instead the fired him.  The Eagles couldn't have messed this up much more than they did.

3 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Why exactly? He's not a Gannon disciple and came up as a coach in very different defensive philosophies.  What he did do was manage to adapt to a defensive philosophy that is probably not is own and was highly successful as the DB coach/passing game coordinator.  He showed something neither Gannon nor Desai have shown...an ability to adapt.  The proof is in the pudding.  The Eagles go from 1 to 23rd in passing yards allowed/game in one year and the Ravens go from 28th to 4th.  While Desai has now taken not 1, but 2 defenses and in a year turned them from a top 10 defense to a bottom 5 defense.  The players also reportedly wanted Wilson and he was also willing to stay on staff even though he didn't get the job...instead the fired him.  The Eagles couldn't have messed this up much more than they did.

I mean I agree with everything except for the fact that Wilson wanted to stay on staff. He clearly wanted out once he didn't get the job which is fine, but there was definitely tension there and he wanted a fresh start. In hindsight he clearly should have got the job.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

We're too talented to be any worse than we've already been.

Something like 444th out of 448 in the last 14 years on stopping teams on 3rd down. The teams behind us were probably full of scrubs.

It's true that the numbers can't get much worse. The defense has been bad, in a quantifiable way. I'm mostly concerned that things behind the scenes could sour, too. Hopefully, this is the move of an organization that is remaining in control rather than losing it. But the name Matt Patricia does not inspire a lot of confidence.

Edited by eagles91

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

It does seem odd that Slay has a surgery come out of nowhere, and then Patricia becomes the DC.  We all know how fond Darius is of Patricia.

See, you know the Homer Optimist I apparently am thinks of the other side of that possible coin. 

Slay could of actually been "gutting out" this knee issue trying to get thru the gauntlet,  thru Dallas week with as any wins as possible knowing the next 4 weeks of opponents,  is far less impressive then the previous 4-6?

I mean he missed our Week 6 loss vs the Jets with a "Knee injury"? Honestly believe if anything,  it's the complete opposite and he should probably be commended for gutting it out until now. 

Healthy for Playoffs 10-3 >> Next 4 weeks?

Of course, I'm not in the building and guessing like the rest of you so 🤷‍♂️

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/darius-slay-eagles-news-knee-surgery-depth-chart-53-man-roster/

Edited by Nabbs4u

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

See, you know the Homer Optimist I apparently am thinks of the other side of that possible coin. 

Slay could of actually been "gutting out" this knee issue trying to get thru the gauntlet,  thru Dallas week with as any wins as possible knowing the next 4 weeks of opponents,  is far less impressive then the previous 4-6?

I mean he missed our Week 6 loss vs the Jets with a "Knee injury"? Honestly believe if anything,  it's the complete opposite and he should probably be commended for gutting it out until now. 

Healthy for Playoffs 10-3 >> Next 4 weeks?

Of course, I'm not in the building and guessing like the rest of you so 🤷‍♂️

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/darius-slay-eagles-news-knee-surgery-depth-chart-53-man-roster/

The idea that Slay is getting surgery because Patricia got a promotion is some WIP level conspiracy stuff.

Slay has said he buried the hatchet with Patricia. Are they best buddies? I doubt it. But suggesting Slay is getting knee surgery because Patricia got a promotion is.... ya that is silly. They have been in the same building all year and we haven't heard a peep about them having an issue.

• Like 3