Sean Desai demoted from Eagles D playcalling, Matt Patricia promoted

General Tso

38 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I had high hopes for him when we hired him. I think he is a smart guy, but I don't think he is built to be a DC tbh. He seems like a guy who only knows how to call his scheme and not how to adapt a scheme to his players. Very rigid similar to Jim Schwartz when he coached here. When we had elite talent that fit his scheme he thrived. As soon as the talent level dipped he looked terrible. Maybe if he can find a good situation he can find success, but it is just a bad look when you are constantly putting James Bradberry and our 4th string UDFA slot corner in cover 1 vs  and they just get burned constantly. Then you look at the DL's regression and ya... it just isn't good.

Some guys are just like that. I mean Pete's success with the cover 3/1 defense was built on the premise of finding players to put into that system. Seems like Desai going into a team and trying to run his scheme without considering the players there is really what the downfall is.

Some guys just think of scheme/calls rather than the players executing those schemes and calls, and it's highlighted ad-nauseum in this video (dropping Nolan Smith, getting Jordan Davis double teamed, blitzing Shaq Leonard, leaving that UDFA 1v1 against CeeDee, etc.)

39 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Some guys are just like that. I mean Pete's success with the cover 3/1 defense was built on the premise of finding players to put into that system. Seems like Desai going into a team and trying to run his scheme without considering the players there is really what the downfall is.

Some guys just think of scheme/calls rather than the players executing those schemes and calls, and it's highlighted ad-nauseum in this video (dropping Nolan Smith, getting Jordan Davis double teamed, blitzing Shaq Leonard, leaving that UDFA 1v1 against CeeDee, etc.)

I get it. Your entire career is spent developing beliefs about what you think is best and you have to be very confident in that system once you finally get to the big show. That said flexibility and the ability to adapt is a vital attribute for coaches to have. Desai to this point simply doesn't have it. I don't doubt his intelligence and maybe this will help him grow into a better coach, but it has been bad to this point.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Here is something else that speaks to the importance of personnel.  Jonathan Gannon is a good defensive playcaller sure, but even he cannot make one of the worst defensive rosters in the NFL good...

The Cardinals are 2nd to last in points allowed, 2nd to last in most rush yards allowed per game, 25th in most total yards allowed per game....

So personnel does matter, especially when the Cardinals start two nobodies at the two corner spots and the DL is beyond suspect.  It is not that easy to just scheme defenders to become good and outside the scheme they are terrible anywhere else...

Nobody said the personnel doesn't matter. I never said that the talent was equal on this year's D.  Watch that damn video AZ posted. Every player on defense didn't just simultaneously take a step back. They started playing in terrible scheme created by an inept DC and they are being put in positions to fail. Also, nobody is saying Patricia is going to fix all our problems. The hope is that veteran DC like Patricia, won't do the dumba** things that Desai chooses to do and the result of not doing the dumbest things possible will hopefully help out this defense.  

7 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Gannon isn’t a good defensive coach lol. He coasted on elite talent and feasted on bad QBs. The problem is the scheme and not the playcalls in Philly right now. Desai was a freaking mess. I don’t think Patricia comes in and fixes everything by any means, but you have to do something to try and fix the issue. 

Maybe but Patricia will not make the corners not get hurt and bring back Slay and even when Slay was out there he was way sub par compared to last season, same with Bradberry.  

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

While most of this is true, just because the "Sack" numbers aren't there for the 2023 Eagles , Carter/Davis actually are a better combo then last years Hargrave. Go look at Carters QB pressure rate despite being doubled teamed majority of his snaps which is way less then Javon and it's up there in the top 5 or at least was few weeks ago.

Cox is having a phenomenal year all things considered. The Eagles DL is getting constant pressure, just not getting home at a historic rate, like last year. People just get caught up with 1 statistic, Sacks!

That could be scheme, that could be age or it could literally go hand in hand with not getting that extra split second needed with great coverage which we're not getting from Maddox,CGJ, Epps,Edwards,White.

While I love Hargrave, he is a beast I'd still rather have Jalen Carter at a fraction of the cost. Kid is Aaron Donald type special,  will be an absolute force to be reckoned with this next decade if he remains injury free.

I never said I would rather have Carter at that pay rate than Hargrave.  I am saying he is gone and is easily the best pass rusher DT on their roster then and is better than any DT in that group as a pass rusher now.  Of course Carter is way cheaper and gets similar production.  As for Cox, not sure I would call him phenomenal but sure if one expect bad already because he is old, he is not awful but nothing like what he once was, especially with Graham.    

And someone brought up feasting on bad QBs, well the Eagles feast four times a year on the Commanders and the NY Giants and the Commanders are just bad on the OL period and the Giants have so many injuries they have been pretty terrible as well.  Pretty sure that inflates pressure and sacks, they will be playing the Giants twice coming up, already played the Commanders twice.

And yes crap DB units sometimes make sacks not happen, but still those are massive losses that have not been replaced and yes that secondary is more of an issue than the DL no doubt about it.  But that secondary also includes the LBs and their suspect play.  That is the biggest issue and the replacements have not held up and the corners are both showing their age after really career seasons last year.  

Once more Nolan Smith is hurt or is not, because if not that is pretty sad he cannot see the field being that type of athlete and at a need position for the team.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but Patricia will not make the corners not get hurt and bring back Slay and even when Slay was out there he was way sub par compared to last season, same with Bradberry.  

Literally no one is saying otherwise lol. We are just saying Desai is terrible and that hoping someone else can fix the problem is better than sinking the D under his leadership. Bradberry has actually been solid when asked to do what he is good at this year: play zone. When he plays man he gets killed.... what a shocker. Hopefully Patricia can connect the dots there and fix that issue and others that seem simple enough to fix.

Maddox is scheduled to start practicing next week. Slay should be back before the end of the season. The hope is that with an adequate defensive mind leading the way and a touch of health the defense goes from abysmal to good enough. Again no one is expecting Patricia to come in and fix everything, we are simply hoping for a bit more than what we had.

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

See but this is ALL ON DESAI I!!! That's the point. Gannon played mostly Zone Coverage, a defensive philosophy that had BOTH Bradberry and Slay All Pro's just last season. 

They didn't fall off a cliff in 8 months, it was Desai's philosophy to switch both CB's and this Defense to more of a Man to Man system. A system that had both CB, not 1, both GD CB's traveling and switching sides of the field like they are Darrell Revis.  IDIOTIC!

I am saying he is gone and is easily the best pass rusher DT on their roster then and is better than any DT in that group as a pass rusher now.  Of course Carter is way cheaper and gets similar production

You don't see the irony in this comment?

Once more Nolan Smith is hurt or is not, because if not that is pretty sad he cannot see the field being that type of athlete and at a need position for the team.

Nope! He was getting (until Barnett was cut) the same treatment Jordan Davis was getting last year , stuck behind 4 Stud DT, 5th in the rotation.

Reddick, Sweat, BG who are you taking off the field for Nolan? Smith "is Not" a Coverage LB. He absolutely sucks in that role just look at the video posted last page. He is a lesser clone of Reddick.  Speed rusher but needs work with hands and pass rushing moves.

What he has done since the Buffalo game with his limited snaps (doesn't get many) becuase we are not blowing out teams this season is create QB pressures, but can't get home (look at Sweats pressure rate) as well. Shocker I know but like most of our DL not named Hassan Reddick, isn't getting home!

The 6 Starters Lost from last years SB defense Absolutely matters. However Sean's inability to put these players in positions to succeed, should be crystal clear now to the masses. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

See but this is ALL ON DESAI I!!! That's the point. Gannon played mostly Zone Coverage, a defensive philosophy that had BOTH Bradberry and Slay All Pro's just last season. 

They didn't fall off a cliff in 8 months, it was Desai's philosophy to switch both CB's and this Defense to more of a Man to Man system. A system that had both CB, not 1, both GD CB's traveling and switching sides of the field like they are Darrell Revis.  IDIOTIC!

I mean tbf, Slay was starting to fall off towards the end of last year and is 32 years old. Bradberry is 30 and has never really strung together multiple good seasons in his career, dating back to his Panthers days.

Either of these dudes regressing in 2023 really shouldn’t be surprising.

• Like 2