QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Depends what you mean by that. If by that you mean playing on a team that consists a line that rotated 3 LTs 3 LGs 2 Cs 2 RGs & 4 RTs to somehow win against SEC teams like Georgia I would say no. Can you make receivers catch the ball? No. Can he get the best out of a group like that? Yea probably. 

Why was he bad at Oklahoma with a great offensive coach, line, and weapons his second season before he got benched?

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why was he bad at Oklahoma with a great offensive coach, line, and weapons his second season before he got benched?

Wasn't bad his freshman year was really good. He got benched after a bad game and a half(which weren't even consecutive).That said, I didn't see it that way when it happened.  So to answer your question why was he bad because QBs have bad games. Thats a thing. Dont believe me? Caleb Williams Notre Dame game Drake maize south Carolina game(Ironically). 

Let's not forget who he was benched for. Caleb Williams five star recruit future number one overall pick

Edited by Jeremy408

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Wasn't bad his freshman year was really good. He got benched after a bad game and a half(which weren't even consecutive).That said, I didn't see it that way when it happened.  So to answer your question why was he bad because QBs have bad games. Thats a thing. Dont believe me? Caleb Williams Notre Dame game Drake maize south Carolina game(Ironically). 

Let's not forget who he was benched for. Caleb Williams five star recruit future number one overall pick

So you have to accept a million excuses and put zero blame on Rattler for struggling 3 straight seasons to justify liking him as a prospect.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So you have to accept a million excuses and put zero blame on Rattler for struggling 3 straight seasons to justify liking him as a prospect.

Where are the 1 million excuses. There's nothing I haven't said that isn't factual or logical. Another thing to mention is there haven't actually been tangible examples of film that you mentioned leading me to believe that you're referring to his stats. If so then you would have to compare his stats if someone likes a JJ McCarthy(who is supposedly going to go in the top 10) who are comparable if you look at the regular season statistics. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Where are the 1 million excuses. There's nothing I haven't said that isn't factual or logical. Another thing to mention is there haven't actually been tangible examples of film that you mentioned leading me to believe that you're referring to his stats. If so then you would have to compare his stats if someone likes a JJ McCarthy(who is supposedly going to go in the top 10) who are comparable if you look at the regular season statistics. 

Why he was benched 

why he struggled at South Carolina 

Youve deflected all blame on to everyone else

McCarthy is like 4 years younger with better tools

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

He threw 11 passes as a freshman lol. 

His redshirt freshman year was alright, but honestly pretty mediocre for Oklahoma QBs.

He so wasn't just randomly benched, he struggled mightily through the first half of the 2021 season sans the super challenging Western Carolina game. 

As for being replaced by Williams....Rattler was the #1 QB recruit in the country, not just a 5* recruit. Amd that is the only reason Rattler has gotten any attention, because bro, he's not actually good. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He threw 11 passes as a freshman lol. 

His redshirt freshman year was alright, but honestly pretty mediocre for Oklahoma QBs.

He so wasn't just randomly benched, he struggled mightily through the first half of the 2021 season sans the super challenging Western Carolina game. 

As for being replaced by Williams....Rattler was the #1 QB recruit in the country, not just a 5* recruit. Amd that is the only reason Rattler has gotten any attention, because bro, he's not actually good. 

I mean sure but that's like saying Jared Goff is in a good quarterback because on the same team Patrick Mahomes would start over him even though Goff went number one overall in the draft. 

The point I was simply making is that Caleb Williams would start over any quarterback in the draft if they were on the same team. So to me, losing your job to Caleb Williams isn't a big deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

All you need to know about Rattler:

In 5 games against ranked opponents in 2023 (Clem, Mizz, Tenn, GA, UNC) he threw for 1 TD/5 INT. 2022-23 he turned ball over 24 times (20 INT, 4 FL, 9 total fumbles).

Didn't have anyone but Legette and a revolving door at each position on the offensive line. Didn't look that way at the senior bowl week when all of the talent was equal. 

The reality is about three months ago I would've agreed with everything that's being said. But when you watch the senior bowl week he look like a completely different player because of what he had to work with was equitable. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

So to me, losing your job to Caleb Williams isn't a big deal. 

Williams literally beats out any starting QB in college last 2-3 seasons. Jaxson Dart transferred out as soon news Caleb was heading to USC

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why he was benched 

why he struggled at South Carolina 

Youve deflected all blame on to everyone else

McCarthy is like 4 years younger with better tools

That's not true lol. I told you he had some bad games too but every prospect does. 

But yeah I have mentioned he got benched for a player that is going to be the number one overall pick. That means that that guy is a better quarterback than anybody else coming out this year. He would've started over everyone. 

I've already mentioned what he had to work with at South Carolina outside Legette

Also how do we know that McCarthy has better tools. His arm definitely isn't better. He didn't run the 40 so you don't know how fast he is. Does it come from the three cone drill? Think about this:

If you take away the playoff games(which are largely contingent on how good your team is to allow you an opportunity to play in those games) you just look at his regular season stats this year, he had..

2483 yards 

19 touchdowns and 4 ints

That's on the best team in the country. 

Rattler with a significantly worse team and a much harder conference with a line comprised of a rotation of 3 LTs 3 LGs 2 Cs 2 RGs & 4RTs, he had 

3186 Yards 

19 Touchdowns and 8 Ints

And then you have to basically say that you're willing to trade up to get this guy in the top 10 giving up probably your second and or third round pick for this guy to be your only pick on the first two days of the draft. Because he's 20 years old?

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Williams literally beats out any starting QB in college last 2-3 seasons. Jaxson Dart transferred out as soon news Caleb was heading to USC

And next year. The funny thing is I bought into that argument at that time before I realized how good Caleb Williams was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

All you need to know about Rattler:

In 5 games against ranked opponents in 2023 (Clem, Mizz, Tenn, GA, UNC) he threw for 1 TD/5 INT. 2022-23 he turned ball over 24 times (20 INT, 4 FL, 9 total fumbles).

We can isolate stats with a lot of QB prospects 

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I mean sure but that's like saying Jared Goff is in a good quarterback because on the same team Patrick Mahomes would start over him even though Goff went number one overall in the draft. 

The point I was simply making is that Caleb Williams would start over any quarterback in the draft if they were on the same team. So to me, losing your job to Caleb Williams isn't a big deal. 

In hindsight, maybe. 

But again, Rattler was the #1 QB recruit in the nation. He was supposed to be Caleb before Caleb was Caleb. And Caleb didn't beat Rattler out for the job, Rattler was benched due to underwhelming and poor performances. This wasn't a matter of Lincoln Riley going "Oh man, I've got 2 5* QBs, which one do I go with?", it was Lincoln Riley benching Rattler because he wasn't good. 

You seem to be conflating Rattler and Williams as if there was some major competition between the two at Oklahoma prior to Williams getting the nod. That simply wasn't the case. Rattler was the solidified and incumbent starter and was prematurely (as all are) placed on the Heisman and Maxwell watch lists and was already being heralded as a top 10 pick. Rattler flopped, plain and simple. Had Rattler not flopped, he doesn't get benched, Caleb likely doesn't  play a snap for Oklahoma and Riley possibly doesn't bring him to Southern Cal, rather Riley convinces Rattler to come to LA. 

Fact is Caleb didn't win the starting job from Rattler, he was put in after Rattler stunk up the field for half a season and had Oklahoma very close to collapsing. 

• Like 1