Better QB Right Now: Lamar Jackson or Joe Burrow

mdonnelly21

35 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB Right Now

• Joe Burrow
    • Lamar Jackson

1 minute ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I see. What do you think separates Allen from Burrow and Lamar? 

My list was incomplete FYI, I just edited and resubmitted.

But it's just pure strength, both arm strength to throw in bad weather and physical strength to deliver blows to the defender. Also Allen combines regular season dominance with some past great playoff games. Lamar doesn't have playoff dominance, and Burrow has playoff wins but I think he never had to carry his team to a postseason win and has never been really dominant in the regular season.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

My personal rankings are:

Tier 1:
Mahomes

Tier 2
Allen

Tier 3
Burrow, Lamar, Hurts, Herbert

Tier 4
Tua, Dak, Stroud, Purdy, Lawrence (maybe going down)

I like your list, mines would be:

Tier 1
Mahomes
- Nothing needs to be said, he’s proven himself time and again.

Tier 2
Allen
- Allen IMO has a little bit of separation, however I don’t think it’s by an entire level over Lamar. More like a half of a level. His playoff resume separates him, but regular season resume, is close but I’d give it to Lamar still. You trust and fear Allen, Brett Favre meets Big Ben. 

If Allen has another great playoffs and he’s tier 1.5, with an elite playoffs and a ring? You’d have to strongly consider placing him on Tier 1 with Mahomes.

Tier 2.5
Lamar, Stafford
- Lamar when healthy leads the best division in football, but health and poor playoff appearances at 21, 22, and 23 years old have held him back. Is that who he is? Or were those growing pains from a young player as he got better with each proceeding playoffs? Having seen Flacco go from horrible playoffs QB laughed at by the FF members to “Playoff Flacco” I’ll reserve judgment.

With another poor playoff, I think he falls to Tier 3 and you’d need to see playoff success before moving him any higher in the future regardless of regular season performance.

However with a good playoffs I put him on Tier 2 with Allen. With an elite playoffs and/or SBMVP, I’d throw him on tier 1.5 just a half tier below Mahomes.

- Stafford is absolutely elite and when he’s on, he’s nearly unstoppable. His arm strength, his decision making, etc. his durability puts him in question, but he’s shown very recently he can put together an elite playoffs and in the regular season he’s a really good QB. Stafford has an x-factor within him that could propel his squad to a Super Bowl.

Tier 3
Hurts, Herbert, Burrow
- Hurts currently has the best playoff resume of these players IMO and has the highest regular season peak. But he’s also been the least consistent of the QBs on this tier. He could stay on this level of rise depending on how he closes out the season and postseason.

- Herbert has shown the MVP level highs and superb ability, I’ll give him a mulligan with another coach and GM to see what he’s able to accomplish.

- Burrow’s regular season performances have been really good and his postseason showings have been really good, but neither would I classify as elite.

His regular season I think his peak was definitely below both Hurts and Herbert and while his playoff outings and regular season place him IMO above the other two on Lamar’s 2.5 tier, when you factor in the injury concerns and Burrow’s slight frame, I think that’s concerning enough that he stays on tier 3 for now.

Tier 3.5
Dak, Stroud, Tua
- Stroud I feel is the closest to reaching Tier 3 because he’s shown he can be special. The other two I think are great players but don’t have the same x-factor to truly take control of games.

Tier 4
Purdy, Lawrence, Goff, Cousins
- While I think Lawrence has an x-factor, he IMO looks a lot like a young Joe Flacco with more athleticism whereby he has the arm, but his decision making is sometimes in question. But he’s got an x-factor to him that you only see from guys on tier 3 and above IMO. But he’s too inconsistent. I’d much rather avoid playing a healthy Lawrence in the postseason (if they make it there). 

Tier 5
Baker, Love, Wilson, Carr, Flacco
- Flacco, Baker, and Wilson sometimes have the x-factor and sometimes are very inconsistent and can’t be relied upon. Love is still carving out who he is. Carr is just basically who he is and getting older.

• Like 1

In terms of the thread, I’ll go with Lamar. I think right now it’s close due to Burrows playoff resume over Lamar.

If Lamar bombs in this postseason, it’ll be Burrow ahead of Lamar. However I’m inclined to believe the maturity from 23 years old to 26 years old will have done Lamar good and that will reflect in a better postseason. But just considering the UMVP and another possible MVP, I’m going Lamar as better, for now.

Burrow when healthy is a legit top-5 QB in the game. You can make an argument he's top-3. I think Lamar is borderline top-5. Now, the injuries to Burrow are concerning, but shouldn't impact him long term. It just seems like more bad luck than anything. 

I ❤️ Lamar, though. I would love to see them get a ring if Buffalo is eliminated. And me putting Burrow ahead of him is tough because the Bengals may have the most annoying team in the league. 

Edited by WizeGuy

On 12/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

I see. What do you think separates Allen from Burrow and Lamar? 

I think when healthy, Burrow has a legit argument for being on par with Allen. But availability is crucial in this league, and I'd argue Allen and Burrow are neck and neck in terms of their impact on the game, but Allen's availability gives him an edge. 

I don't think Lamar is in the same tier as Allen. GREAT QB, but Allen is a touchdown juggernaut. Lamar is awesome, but just isn't on that level. And, for all the crap Allen gets for TOs- he only has 5 more than Lamar while also having 16 more TDs. I'd sacrifice 5 more turnovers if it meant 16 more TDs. 

• Like 2