Better QB Right Now: Lamar Jackson or Joe Burrow

mdonnelly21

35 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB Right Now

• Joe Burrow
    • Lamar Jackson

Lamar has an MVP and it's about to be 2 MVP's without Tee Higgins or Ja'Marr Chase to throw to. And yet people say it's not even close????

I understand if some people say it's Burrow, but not even close?! That's an absolute joke. Dude lead the league in passing yards and TD's throwing to rookie Marquise Brown and Seth Roberts.

• Like 4

You can’t even really play defense against Jackson rn. You’re limited in how you rush him because you don’t want to lose contain.  If you play man your back is to him.  And he’s like having a 6th pass catcher. You can really only hope he misses or they don’t catch it.

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I understand if some people say it's Burrow

I don't.

1 MVP > Burrow imo, but he at least had the recency argument until this year.

2 MVPs and recency bias? Idk man, I don't really see the Burrow #2 case anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Until Lamar has a playoff run, I can understand why one wouldn't elevate him over Burrow. 

I don't love playoff splits but I guess I can live with this.

Does that make Allen better too, though?

I dont love putting a 2x and reigning MVP at #4 tbh lol.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar has an MVP and it's about to be 2 MVP's without Tee Higgins or Ja'Marr Chase to throw to. And yet people say it's not even close????

I understand if some people say it's Burrow, but not even close?! That's an absolute joke. Dude lead the league in passing yards and TD's throwing to rookie Marquise Brown and Seth Roberts.

It's all about the playoffs I would think. That is the only way it is not close. I do agree, I need to see Lamar do it in the playoffs though before I'd ever even consider taking him over Burrow. 

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

I don't love playoff splits but I guess I can live with this.

Does that make Allen better too, though?

I dont love putting a 2x and reigning MVP at #4 tbh lol.

You may not have to. The MVP wouldn’t be announced until the day before the Super Bowl. So presumably, if Lamar were to go on a playoff run towards the SB then by the time he’s a 2x MVP he would have already duplicated the SB appearance we’ve seen from Burrow.

Thus you could safely put him at #2 or #3. I think these playoffs will say a lot as to whether Lamar is sort of the Joel Embiid of the NFL or if he was just 21-23 years old, very young, immature, and overmatched by grown men who were fighting for their legacy.

At 26 now, he’s show far more maturity, his coordinators aren’t nearly as likely to get undressed as they have proven to be far more flexible in their gameplan than Roman and Wink (not that Wink didn’t also put together some great game plans in the playoffs) and Lamar has better talent around him.

Whats more there aren’t other teams across the AFC that have seemingly caught fire and have the kind of physicality to disrupt a physical Ravens squad like that Titans team in 2019 did to the Patriots and Ravens both… well if there is such a team, it would be the Browns, but the difference is that we face them 2x/season so they won’t necessarily be sneaking up on the squad with their level of physicality. The team would know to expect a bloodbath.

Anyways, point of all that is we should all have a better idea of where to rank Lamar after the post season. Either he won’t be able to be denied.. or nothing he does in the regular season moving forward will matter as to what level of QB tier he’s in, only postseason play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, August4th said:

Joe scares me more, but I'm biased since the steelers seem to be the only team that can stop Jackson lol

This was my take as to why I had TJ Watt ahead of Myles Garrett a couple years back in a comparisons thread, he dominates more heavily against the Ravens historically. So when judging two similarly tiered options, I go with the anecdotal evidence available to me (in addition to perhaps some empirical data that might seem to back up that “eye test”).

That all said, Jackson might play a couple series against the Steelers in this game… perhaps this is the season where he begins to change that fear by leading the offense to a scoring drive or two that dashes the Steelers playoff hopes.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

After seeing Lamar's left-handed fake vs Miami, I gotta go w/ Lamar

Lamar makes some plays and does some things on a game-to-game basis that no other QB's are doing in the league - typically in the passing game, too - and people still parrot the narrative that he can't throw, or can't do xyz

I don't even get upset at it anymore. I just sit back and enjoy watching him play and know damn well 95% of those other fans who criticize him will never see their QBs make those types of plays lol